touro-CA vs western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barhhb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which cali school is better in terms of environment, social life, and similar aspects of quality of life? i know touro is in san francisco and western is in ponoma and not the best of places, so would touro win out in terms of having a better social environment and atmosphere?

Members don't see this ad.

Touro-CA is in Vallejo. It's a horrible city, worse than Pomona.

damn, so if i were to live near usc in los angeles, would that be too much of a commute to western?

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, so if i were to live near usc in los angeles, would that be too much of a commute to western?

Thats really up to you, but SoCal traffic is super stupid.

I don't think the commute should be that bad. I don't go to western but, I have lived in the LA area all my life. Assuming you'll be commuting to western in the morning, you should be fine since you're going east bound :].

i wouldnt recommend that commute. the 60 can be a real big pain. housing isnt too expensive in pomona, so you're better off living there. pomona isnt the best city nor is it the worst (it is also just a short drive away from really nice cities, which is more than i can say for vallejo).

i didnt even bother applying to vallejo and im from cali. horrible depressing area from what i gather. also, don't make the mistake of confusing the san francisco bay area as a whole with the nicer parts of SF you may be familiar with

thats what i hear, but is 40 minutes a little too much for a med student?

thats what i hear, but is 40 minutes a little too much for a med student?

40 minutes...one way. Also it's only 40 minutes without traffic, long stoplights, etc. It would take a pretty big toll on you IMO

good advice folks, i think if considering a commute concerning western, i would try living close to cal poly, any info on this area?

California traffic... Right now I drive 25 miles down the 101 to work. In the morning, takes me like 45 minutes.

40 minutes commute is really not that bad. Myself and many of the upperclassmen that I spoke to at COMP make that commute everyday/2, 3 times a week. Bring lectures. audio recordings to listen to while you are driving to make the best use of your time.

good advice folks, i think if considering a commute concerning western, i would try living close to cal poly, any info on this area?

its not too bad, ive been there a couple times

are you trying to live close to another university?

its not too bad, ive been there a couple times

are you trying to live close to another university?

yeah, i'd prefer living in college type environment, any other nice college campuses close by to western?

yeah, i'd prefer living in college type environment, any other nice college campuses close by to western?

The Claremont colleges are amazing and Cal Poly and La Verne are close by.

so would you say the claremont campus has a better atmosphere/social life/nicer campus than cal poly?

what is the typical class schedule for western, can i skip classes if they're recorded, if so, how often would i be required to come in for labs and stuff?

so would you say the claremont campus has a better atmosphere/social life/nicer campus than cal poly?

Definitely. You likely won't be on the campuses of the Claremont Colleges much, if at all, apart from using the library, but the atmosphere on campus is idyllic.

To answer your other question, every lecture is recorded. Class runs 9 - 4 or 5 most days. You can skip lecture, albeit there are some disincentives towards this in some classes. Lab would be in the afternoon and is mandatory for anatomy and OMM.