Touro College Manhattan/Bay Shore FALL 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JMastov,

Why didnt you go to Hunter? Arnt you pretty much guaranteed a spot because you went there undergrad? But Touro im not sure. These are my stats, and I got rejected from both campuses.
GPA: 3.17
Pre Req 2.77 (but Im retaking classes now, but it wont matter)
Ob Hours: 140 (3 different settings)
GRE 380V 490Q 3.5 AW (I also gave them my SAT scores which was 500V 510Q)

My starts are pretty terrible, but hey I still tried. And I applied to Touro in December, which I thought was early enough, but apparently not. Im a NY resident from Long Island also, I thought that would give me preference. (idk why I thought that) However, good luck to you. It seems your stats are stronger than mine so you may get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Reason I didn't want to go to Hunter is because they want you to take other classes as pre reqs after applying that has nothing to do with the major. They just want to milk you for your money, and I've heard bad things bout that program.

Also your stats are way better than mine to be honest...Don't know how you got rejected...Wish you luck again..I'm applying in March 2011 deadline is in May...May not even get looked at.

Hey all!
Im a prospective DPT student interested in attending Touro College. I applied to both Manhattan & Bayshore campuses. (I really have my heart set on on staying in NY, as I am a NY resident). Has anyone got an acceptance yet? and if so are you going? I just want to get an idea of how many people are ACTUALLY going. Many ppl I know got acceptances but they chose to go elsewhere. Also, is it true they really only give you 2 weeks to submit your deposit? THANKS in advance.

I got an acceptance today (Manhattan Campus) and I am most probably going. Also, they give you 2 weeks to send your deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jmstov - Most schools now won't even consider you a viable applicant unless you have a 3.0 and above (Touro included - I recently went to visit their PT head and talked about this).

Even if someone goes to Hunter, they are not necessary guaranteed a spot in there PT program. However, Hunter is the cheapest of all the schools in the area and despite what you might have heard Jmstov, having spoke with several students in their DPT program, they love it.

CamorePT, I'm sorry to hear about your rejections. It clear how much you wanted to get in and I was routing for you. Good luck at your undergrad school.

SchoolboyPauly, I got into Touro (Manhattan Campus). I went for a "campus" visit and meeting with the PT director (very nice lady). Although the "campus" is just one floor in a building, it's not much different from Suny Downstate or NYU for that matter - although the last two have cadaver labs.

I'm undecided between Suny Downstate and Touro (Manhattan Campus) for DPT. Originally, I was sure that I would have chosen SD over Touro because of price and reputation.

After speaking with students and alum from both programs, my world would become flipped upside-down. Two former alum's from Suny Downstate would go on to adamantly encourage me to not go there and to go to Touro. They said:
* teachers are out to get you and are unhelpful and uncaring - with the exception of a mother - son professor duo who is apparently awesome.
* you get slammed with info irrelevant to passing your boards. This takes away from relevant student and a glimmer of life outside of class.
* Not to mention the actual time you spend in class is a lot more than Touro, which includes summers, and week days (Touro (Manhattan) is scheduled from Monday to Thurs, which allows for some freedom).

I also spoke with 2nd year DPT touro students when I went for a visit and they most spoke very highly of it, or said it was "ok" at worst. They get a lot of holidays off as they adhere to Jewish Holidays - which reminds me, about 1/2 of each class is hesidic jews.

I also live in the lower east side of manhattan so touro is a closer commute. Aside from price (about $40k for 3 years at Suny D) vs (about $65k for Touro's 3 year program, I don't see much of a plus of going to SD. However, the price point is very appealing. Has any one else talked to current DPT students or recent graduates of the DPT program who can speak against what I've heard? Thanks

Thanks a lot Howa12d. That meant a lot. I really wanted to go to another school for my graduate studies, but Im happy and content with going to Howard. Thank so much. Good luck to you as well

Howa12d it seems me and you had completely different experiences with touro. The only part that is right is the tuition...a bit exp.... and the student population..yea its mostly jewish people, the school is jewish affiliated so they prefer students to be jewish. That was one of the reason i wanted to go there because im jewish, but idk after visiting that school i don't want to study there. I spoke to a few first year students from NYU and LIU they applied last year and told me to apply to touro as back up and thats it, but i really wanted to go to a school where there were majority of jews. Basically they said the school isn't that good and that the teachers don't care that much about their students....i wrote a thread about my tour called my tour of touro so check that out, that was my experience (which led me to change my mind)

Hello everyone! I got accepted to Touro's Bay Shore campus for the fall and am pretty excited about it. I have a friend from elementary school that is finishing up her third year this summer and has enlightened me on what to expect from the program. My first choice was UMDNJ because I live right by it and wouldn't have to worry about moving. Plus, I know it's a great program. I also got wait listed at University of Scranton. I put in my deposit in February for Touro and am waiting for more info to be sent within the next few months. I wish everybody good luck and maybe I'll see some of you soon!

camorept did you interview with liu..if so when

Josh123,

No i didnt interview with LIU, they keep telling me they dont have my GRE scores when I sent them 3 times. IDK whats going on with them. I'd LOVE to go there, but its not looking promising. A friend of mine said theyre almost done doing interviews and looking to make the class now.

how does your friend know that they are almost done interviewing and are looking for the class?

Just from experience, I interviewed with LIU last March and that was at the end of the interviewing process so I would imagine they should almost be done.

Josh123,

My friends brother is in the program now. He's a first year. But hey that's what she said. Just like LadyPT86 said, their last round is in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
how does your brother like the school. Also ladypt did you get accepted into liu? If so whats your opinion on the school.

I was waitlisted at LIU last year. I didn't re-apply this year because I was not that impressed with the program. I know I'm a minority in that respect but I didn't feel like it was the one for me. The admissions personnel that I met with were not very welcoming and I felt the format of the group interview did not allow them to really know me.

Is anyone here definitely going to Touro's Bay Shore program in August? I am!

Hey Lady!

I just sent in my PTCAS app to both Touro locations (Manhattan and Bay Shore). Hopefully I get an answer back before the deadline and hopefully I get in. I'm so nervous. If anything, I'll let you know and hope to see you soon future classmate!

I'm in the Linden/Clark area so I will definitely be moving there =) What about you?

Last edited:
Hello DPT pursuers! I will be attending Touro Bayshore Campus this Fall and am very excited about it.

I wish you all good luck in your studies and in the strive to become a DPT!

Hi
I'm just wondering what's the difference between Touro's Manhatten campus and Long Island. I heard that they start at different times. is that true? and is there any more differences?

Hi
I'm just wondering what's the difference between Touro's Manhatten campus and Long Island. I heard that they start at different times. is that true? and is there any more differences?
Do some googling...just kidding.....Taken from the FAQ section of their website...

What are other similarities and differences between the Long Island and Manhattan campuses?
The campuses follow essentially the same curriculum. Besides the scheduling of courses, the most significant difference is in the Anatomy course. At the Long Island campus, the laboratory portion of the Anatomy course entails prosection demonstrations in the Bay Shore cadaver lab; at the Manhattan campus, the course utilizes mainly computer-assisted instruction supplemented with a few demonstrations in the Bay Shore cadaver lab. The two campuses share certain faculty members.
When are classes scheduled?
Classes at the Bay Shore campus are scheduled Mondays through Thursdays from approximately 9am to 5pm. Occasionally there are evening classes scheduled. Friday classes are typically scheduled from 9am to 12noon. However, there are many semesters without Friday classes. Classes at the Manhattan campus are scheduled Sundays through Thursdays from approximately 9am to 5pm. Occasionally there are evening classes scheduled. Not all semesters have classes on Sundays.

Do some googling...just kidding.....Taken from the FAQ section of their website...

What are other similarities and differences between the Long Island and Manhattan campuses?
The campuses follow essentially the same curriculum. Besides the scheduling of courses, the most significant difference is in the Anatomy course. At the Long Island campus, the laboratory portion of the Anatomy course entails prosection demonstrations in the Bay Shore cadaver lab; at the Manhattan campus, the course utilizes mainly computer-assisted instruction supplemented with a few demonstrations in the Bay Shore cadaver lab. The two campuses share certain faculty members.
When are classes scheduled?
Classes at the Bay Shore campus are scheduled Mondays through Thursdays from approximately 9am to 5pm. Occasionally there are evening classes scheduled. Friday classes are typically scheduled from 9am to 12noon. However, there are many semesters without Friday classes. Classes at the Manhattan campus are scheduled Sundays through Thursdays from approximately 9am to 5pm. Occasionally there are evening classes scheduled. Not all semesters have classes on Sundays.

Thanks I heard that too but when I spoke to people from Touro they told me that the two programs start at different times of the year. one in September and one in January but then I was told not by others. I'm wondering what the case is with that.

Hey Everyone,
Im a current 1st year PT student living with a 1st year PA student and we both go to Touro Bay Shore. We are looking for a 3rd roommate for this upcoming school year in a beautiful 3 bedroom/2bathroom apartment with washer/dryer. If any of you are interested please let me know. No males please.

Tamara

Last week Touro Admissions called me and let me know about an opening at the Manhattan campus so I now I'm going there! Now I can commute on the PATH train and get there in no time. On Sunday I went into the city to check out the campus and am really excited to start there in a few months!

Whoa, thats awesome lady! They just called you up like that? Did you apply to both campuses?

I did apply to both campuses, hoping that one would accept me. I was at work two weeks ago and during my lunch break I checked my phone and saw that I had two missed calls from Touro College. At that time I was thinking the worst and that they were taking back their acceptance to the Bay Shore campus for some reason :scared:. But when I called back admissions the woman there told me of an opening at the Manhattan campus and asked if I was interested. I said 'YES!' and now I am going to be a green commuter into the City.

Congrats Lady, I am going to Touro Manhattan too in August. I met a few current students on my last visit. They told me to skip on buying certain text books as some don't even teach from there. I'll post some new info when I find out more

I would like to start a mailing list for Touro's new class of fall/2011's DPTs. Info about class, physical therapy, meetups, study groups, etc are all fair game. My email is [email protected] for those of you who'd like to be part of it. Would appreciate if you put "Touro DPT" or something along those lines in the subject and basic info. Thanks!

What was you Stats if you don't mind me to ask../ Thanks

So I found out today I got rejected from Touro (both campuses). As of now its like an 85% chance Im going to attend my undergraduate institution. I plan on calling/emailing Touro asking why I didnt get accepted. Not that they owe me an explanation, but I would like one.

I started this thread. How sad? :(

What were your stats? You have me a bit worried now. I do realize this is a couple of years.

Thanks!

Hi! Did you end up accepting Touro NY/go to their program? I'm currently deciding whether or not to attend thier DPT Program in Manhattan this upcoming fall =/

I did apply to both campuses, hoping that one would accept me. I was at work two weeks ago and during my lunch break I checked my phone and saw that I had two missed calls from Touro College. At that time I was thinking the worst and that they were taking back their acceptance to the Bay Shore campus for some reason :scared:. But when I called back admissions the woman there told me of an opening at the Manhattan campus and asked if I was interested. I said 'YES!' and now I am going to be a green commuter into the City.

Hi! Congrats on the acceptance! Did you end up accepting Touro NY/go to their program? I'm currently deciding whether or not to attend thier DPT Program in Manhattan this upcoming fall