Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
touro accepts personal checks for deposits, right?

Can anyone tell me if I can make my deposit via credit card? I tried to contact the school and no one answered the phone. Does the school close during Spring break?

school was closed monday and i believe tuesday as welll due to a jewish holiday..

they do accept credit cards you just have to fill out a form.

request the form from admissions

I believe they do take credit cards. I think everything is closed until 4/12 (when we go back to class.)

Spoke to Mrs.Clarke today and they are closed until Monday, she is in her office though, call her after fAxing over cc authorization, for confirmation, received one today by email.

I didn't notice many apartment buildings very close to campus. But they are building these new apartment towers right on the street where Touro is located, (it would be a 2 minute walk to school), but from the way that it looks, I think these are some high luxury type apartments that are going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you're on Facebook, join the Touro NY Pharm group and ask where people have been getting apartments. Some of my friends there, live like 20 blocks north and 3 blocks west, and are just 2 subway stops away.

I didn't notice many apartment buildings very close to campus. But they are building these new apartment towers right on the street where Touro is located, (it would be a 2 minute walk to school), but from the way that it looks, I think these are some high luxury type apartments that are going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you're on Facebook, join the Touro NY Pharm group and ask where people have been getting apartments. Some of my friends there, live like 20 blocks north and 3 blocks west, and are just 2 subway stops away.

thanks Sparda

Hi everyone
I need some help w/ financial aid.
The financial aid website says to apply to tourocom but they dont have a 2010-2011 application, but they do have a 2010-2011 college of pharmacy application.
I filed my taxes and Fafsa, and I thought the aid packet was next but I didnt know which one to fill out.
Some advice please. Anyone know what a promissary note is?
On a last note, I dont have facebook but if there is there a group that everyone belongs to then I am going to sign up.

Thanks

Hi everyone
I need some help w/ financial aid.
The financial aid website says to apply to tourocom but they dont have a 2010-2011 application, but they do have a 2010-2011 college of pharmacy application.
I filed my taxes and Fafsa, and I thought the aid packet was next but I didnt know which one to fill out.
Some advice please. Anyone know what a promissary note is?
On a last note, I dont have facebook but if there is there a group that everyone belongs to then I am going to sign up.

Thanks

Call Trevor jackman, he can help you out with fin aid..
This is the facebook group for class of 2014
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=364431067534&ref=mf

do they send you an email once they receive your deposit? or do you have to call to confirm that they received it? if so, who should i call?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys.. just wanted to update everyone here..
first of all, Dr. Garland-Patterson sends out an email confirming that 1st deposits are received. If you paid it, you will get an email.
second of all, I was at Trevor Jackman's office today to speak about loans and this is what he told me "Since Obama passed the health care bill, the loans will be given out & regulated by the government and not the private lenders. There still will be private lenders but the process will become much easier. He said just fill out the FAFSA and TAP and wait for the email. Do not worry about TOURO FA Packet. Just WAIT for his email.
if you guys have any questions, you can contact him.

hi guys.. just wanted to update everyone here..
first of all, Dr. Garland-Patterson sends out an email confirming that 1st deposits are received. If you paid it, you will get an email.
second of all, I was at Trevor Jackman's office today to speak about loans and this is what he told me "Since Obama passed the health care bill, the loans will be given out & regulated by the government and not the private lenders. There still will be private lenders but the process will become much easier. He said just fill out the FAFSA and TAP and wait for the email. Do not worry about TOURO FA Packet. Just WAIT for his email.
if you guys have any questions, you can contact him.

Hi guys,

I just filled out the Fafsa form but I am not from New York. Can I still fill out the TAP application?

TAP is tuition assistance for NYS residents.

has anyone here also applied to rutgers?

where is everyone. where are you guys. come on this is forum is so so so inactive.
let me ask questions hoping someone will answer....

did any of you get accepted somewhere else........!
DId any one you buy a laptob !!!
did any one submit his/her financial aid package !!

come on guys ...lets talk

where is everyone. where are you guys. come on this is forum is so so so inactive.
let me ask questions hoping someone will answer....

did any of you get accepted somewhere else........!
DId any one you buy a laptob !!!
did any one submit his/her financial aid package !!

come on guys ...lets talk

I've been accepted at nova, palm beach atlantic, college of notre dame, and i've got an interview at rutgers.
planning on buying a macbook.
didn't even receive any type of financial aid information.
hope this helps

I've been accepted at nova, palm beach atlantic, college of notre dame, and i've got an interview at rutgers.
planning on buying a macbook.
didn't even receive any type of financial aid information.
hope this helps

where you live, are you interested in touro or you just applied there.
Are you going to go to the interview in rutgers or what ...did you pay your down payment YET

where you live, are you interested in touro or you just applied there.
Are you going to go to the interview in rutgers or what ...did you pay your down payment YET

i live in woodmere, ny. i was interested primarily because of location and schedule, but i have actually come to like the program itself.
yea i'm gunna end up going to the interview in rutgers to keep all my options open, but I'm pretty sure im sticking with touro. and yes i did pay my down payment. how about you?

i live in woodmere, ny. i was interested primarily because of location and schedule, but i have actually come to like the program itself.
yea i'm gunna end up going to the interview in rutgers to keep all my options open, but I'm pretty sure im sticking with touro. and yes i did pay my down payment. how about you?

Woodmere? Dude you're like 15 minutes away from me. If you're gonna drive, stay the **** away from the Van Wyck and the Belt Pkwy.

Woodmere? Dude you're like 15 minutes away from me. If you're gonna drive, stay the **** away from the Van Wyck and the Belt Pkwy.

i got accepted to 3 other schools liu temple and University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. Touro is the closest for me since i live in NJ, but i am worried about the price of the school and their accreditation. But i know i will end up going to TOURO as it is close to me and i love their program as you said !!! the 2 +2
how about you ! do you feel comfortable to the price of the school and to their accreditation status !

i got accepted to 3 other schools liu temple and University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. Touro is the closest for me since i live in NJ, but i am worried about the price of the school and their accreditation. But i know i will end up going to TOURO as it is close to me and i love their program as you said !!! the 2 +2
how about you ! do you feel comfortable to the price of the school and to their accreditation status !

You got into USP as a transfer? When did you hear back from LIU?

The price is gonna be around the same at all private school. Accreditation status, feel good about it, we can sit for the NAPLEX. We (Class of 2012) used to joke around with the Class of 2013 that we could still **** it up for them. :smuggrin:

I was thinking of taking the cross island to the grand central- what do you think?

then what?

I definitely am hesitant about the price especially because Nova, College of Notre Dame and my main other option of Rutgers are all cheaper. Touro is more expensive by about 10 grand. that definitely has me thinking. yet on the other hand, touro is in the city so it is very understandable to have such a high price, which accounts for the new building as well. the parking is a big concern for me as I will be driving. parking lots adds another 2-3000 dollars to the expense. Additionally, the financial aid and scholarship department do not seem so helpful or knowledgeable. in other more established schools, these things are figured out extremely quickly and although slim, does provide some opportunity for scholarships. So these little things are what I'm concerned about. other than that, touro is relatively close to my house and I feel that I will benefit from the close bond it seems the students have with the teachers, faculty and each other. I am not worried in the slightest about the accreditation status- as sparda said, we can still sit for the naplex, there's nothing to worry about.

Does anyone know when the pharmacy school start this year? exact date? anyone know when is the orientation? thanks

Does anyone know when the pharmacy school start this year? exact date? anyone know when is the orientation? thanks

from what i hear orientation is august 23rd but im not too sure.
hey sparda quick question, where do u live in relation to touro? and when did u start looking for apartments? I have a friend in the Class of 2013 we tryin 2 find a place but no idea really where to look. Any suggestions? :confused:

That's funny since I'm pretty sure LIU hadn't sent out their transfer decisions yet when you posted this. But hey, this board is pretty amusing top to bottom when you examine things closely.

That's funny since I'm pretty sure LIU hadn't sent out their transfer decisions yet when you posted this. But hey, this board is pretty amusing top to bottom when you examine things closely.

LIU has sent decisions. I was accepted to LIU aswell.

from what i hear orientation is august 23rd but im not too sure.
hey sparda quick question, where do u live in relation to touro? and when did u start looking for apartments? I have a friend in the Class of 2013 we tryin 2 find a place but no idea really where to look. Any suggestions? :confused:

I live 25 miles away in Nassau County (Long Island). My pick for a place to find an apartment would be on Steinway Street in Astoria, Queens. It would definitely be less expensive, there is access to public transport. I'd recommend getting an apartment in the Arab section of Steinway Street (between 25th-28th Avenue).

All you gotta do is grab the M60 bus, and that takes you straight to Touro. Plus, the nightlife is great in that area if you ever wanna do something other than study, or if you're like me, you can go study in the hookah lounges, most of which who have wifi access.

I live 25 miles away in Nassau County (Long Island). My pick for a place to find an apartment would be on Steinway Street in Astoria, Queens. It would definitely be less expensive, there is access to public transport. I'd recommend getting an apartment in the Arab section of Steinway Street (between 25th-28th Avenue).

All you gotta do is grab the M60 bus, and that takes you straight to Touro. Plus, the nightlife is great in that area if you ever wanna do something other than study, or if you're like me, you can go study in the hookah lounges, most of which who have wifi access.

LOL how do u study in a hookah lounge? no subway stops by there? or is it just quicker to take the bus?

LOL how do u study in a hookah lounge? no subway stops by there? or is it just quicker to take the bus?

There are a few subway stops near there, but the bus has the quickest linear route to Astoria. If you take the subway, you gotta take it from Harlem to Midtown, change to another line, which comes back around into Queens leading to Astoria and then a 15 minute walk.

As for how I study in the hookah lounge, it has wifi, it has big tables where I can sit, take out all my books, smoke hookah, drink tea. My friend owns the place so they are tolerant of me staying there 8-10 hours, and I get free hookah and drinks. Also have some great food there as well. Not to mention, a LOT of eye candy. If I spot a hot woman in the hookah lounge, I can easily just stop studying and go over and talk. My friend lets me say that I own the place if I wanna use it as a pick up line.

hey you guys...please inform me about the accredidation thingy. If the school is candidate status..you can take the NAPLEX...but if not 90% or so of the class passes...it won't be accredited. and some employers ( i heard some will hire you as long as you pass the test..but im talking about in general here) will not hire you unless you graduated from an accredited program...so what does that mean?
1. you have to wait until the next class to take the test..to see if the school will be accredited..then you can be hired?

There are many threads regarding pre-candidate and candidate status..So this issue has been discussed to death. Do a search you will find many threads.

In summary, as long as a school is candidate then you could sit take the Naplex, if you pass then you will be a licensed pharmacist. There has never been a school in the history of AphA who has never made it to full-accreditation from pre-candidate status. There is really nothing to worry about. As long as the school is recongized by AphA then you are good to go.

what is the typical apparel required of students on a day to day basis?

what is the typical apparel required of students on a day to day basis?

You mean dress code? There is none. They tried to implement one, but we got rid of it. Just don't wear anything offensive (political message, cuss words, etc). Although we gotta dress up for some of the labs.

You mean dress code? There is none. They tried to implement one, but we got rid of it. Just don't wear anything offensive (political message, cuss words, etc). Although we gotta dress up for some of the labs.

so you don't have to dress professionally at all?

so you don't have to dress professionally at all?

You only have to dress professionally for a class called Professional Practice, rotations, and white coat ceremony.

Dude, students in our class were wearing tank tops and short shorts the other day as a protest for the AC being dysfunctional.

hey sparda, im also going to b commuting from nassau county, how bad is the drive? or is it better to go through trains...bc i drove to the interview and it took me 2 hours through crazii traffic...

hey sparda, im also going to b commuting from nassau county, how bad is the drive? or is it better to go through trains...bc i drove to the interview and it took me 2 hours through crazii traffic...

2 hours!!!!!! it took me 40 minutes

We have several students coming from the depths of Long Island, they all take the LIRR due to traffic issues. The A train is accessible to the LIRR.

Hi Sparda,

when is the orientaion going to be and when the classes will start? and also, when can we buy the books? do we buy it from the school book store? thank you

40 minutes is not too bad of a commute..seems faster than taking the train..what route did u take because i was definitely stuck in bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.....

It takes me 20 minutes on good days (I don't give a **** about speed limits) and 1 hour on bad days. I live very close to the border of Queens, which is why it might take me less time.

The route I take is:

Southern State Parkway West --> Cross Island Parkway North --> Whitestone Expressway South --> Grand Central Parkway West --> RFK (Triboro Bridge) --> FDR Drive North --> 155th Street Exit --> Turn left and gun it down 8th avenue to 125th Street. --> Find parking.

My route is definitely longer in distance than the conventional route, but it is less congested so I can go a lot faster.