Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone from Seattle?

Members don't see this ad.

so how many of you have accepted Touro and will be attending this fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
GUYS<
is any one planning to buy a new laptop, any ideas which brand is better and where can i buy new ones with good price.....and what should be the configuration.

GUYS<
is any one planning to buy a new laptop, any ideas which brand is better and where can i buy new ones with good price.....and what should be the configuration.

in terms of computers- can a mac work with the system? do any of you that are already in school have a mac?

Waiting for HP slate or ill get Sony Vaio z...

GUYS<

Hey, I'm getting a dell mini netbook. i think this should be good. this is what i got from the website:

In order to function in this environment, students should own or have access to a reliable computer with broadband Internet access at their primary place of study. This computer should be at minimum a Netbook-type computer with the following system specifications:
  • 1GB system RAM or above
  • 9' SVGA or above screen size
  • MS Windows XP or above; Apple OS X 10.3 or above
  • Access to MS Office Suite 7, (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
  • WiFi 802.11g or above

Hey, I'm getting a dell mini netbook. i think this should be good. this is what i got from the website:

In order to function in this environment, students should own or have access to a reliable computer with broadband Internet access at their primary place of study. This computer should be at minimum a Netbook-type computer with the following system specifications:
  • 1GB system RAM or above
  • 9' SVGA or above screen size
  • MS Windows XP or above; Apple OS X 10.3 or above
  • Access to MS Office Suite 7, (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
  • WiFi 802.11g or above

whats a netbook? and what's gaming?

whats a netbook? and what's gaming?

A netbook is a mini laptop. Pretty small with a long battery life.

Gaming laptop would be:
CPU - At least quad-core processor.
Memory - At least 4 GB DDR3 RAM
HD - 500GB at least
Graphics Processor - At least 1GB video card or the 2 video card SLI option.

I would recommend a netbook type computer or a MAC. Mac is very nice, but 3 times the price of a netbook. GO with something small, portable, because you'll be carrying it basically everywhere.

I would recommend a netbook type computer or a MAC. Mac is very nice, but 3 times the price of a netbook. GO with something small, portable, because you'll be carrying it basically everywhere.

Yeah, but I found when I used a netbook that the screen was ridiculously small and I had to strain my eyes. It's really only good for taking notes, listening to music, and browsing the internet, nothing more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but I found when I used a netbook that the screen was ridiculously small and I had to strain my eyes. It's really only good for taking notes, listening to music, and browsing the internet, nothing more.

Why exactly do you need your computer with you at all times? do you need to access lectures and power points and what not? what else?

when are you guys start moving to new york?

I am from South Seattle (Rainier area). How about you? Are you attending Touro New York next year?
im still deciding , its all depends on my other schools too i guess... how about you? some stuff that i see here makes me to think it over, regarding the accreditation and other stuff. personally i think somebody has some issue with school but when you hear about it ,it makes you to look into it closely.
btw, i went to western so i live in bellingham right now.

im still deciding , its all depends on my other schools too i guess... how about you? some stuff that i see here makes me to think it over, regarding the accreditation and other stuff. personally i think somebody has some issue with school but when you hear about it ,it makes you to look into it closely.
btw, i went to western so i live in bellingham right now.

Well, I know they will obtain full accredidation. It just matter of time right now. I personally like the school because it's in New York so getting experiences from different healthcare settings are much easier. I believe Touro won't let anything to their school.

GUYS<

lenovo would be a nice brand. it doesnt overheat easily. for the same stat as sony laptops, lenovo costs less. if you are using XP, 3Ghz would be enough.

Sparda how long is the ride??? I mean from queens

Where exactly are you in Queens? I'm in southwest Nassau County, so I just take local roads to the Cross Island Parkway, take that north all the way to where it turns into the Whitestone expressway, then I get on the Grand Central, across the RFK (Triboro) bridge. From there you have a few options, personally, I'll take the FDR up to the 155th exit, which drops you on 8th avenue. I can speed down 8th avenue to 125th street in about 3 minutes.

Total time for me is usually 20 mins - 1 hour depending on how much traffic there is. Parking is the major variable. Few weeks ago, the trip took me 15 minutes, but I spent 1 hour circling around for parking. To get to a 9AM class, I'll wake up at 7:45AM, get ready in 15 minutes, and drive out.

I have Toshiba laptop, excellent value, very fast, and durable. I would recommend it for those on a budget.

I would encourage any of you who have concerns to pm me. I will reply promptly. :)

I got accepted to Touro and accepted their offer. I am a practicing engineer who is changing careers, quitting my job in June to take some time off before the upcoming "storm". Its will be exciting to meet everyone. I also live in Queens, bayside. If anyone wants to consider sharing the drive contact me.
email: [email protected]

Thanks

I got accepted to Touro and accepted their offer. I am a practicing engineer who is changing careers, quitting my job in June to take some time off before the upcoming "storm". Its will be exciting to meet everyone. I also live in Queens, bayside. If anyone wants to consider sharing the drive contact me.
email: [email protected]

Thanks

Yeah, you'll have quite an easy commute to Touro. Just hop on the Cross Island, make your way to the RFK bridge, and then to Touro, shouldn't take you more than 30 mins every day going there.

Going back home, the commute is weird. If I'm actually going back to my house, I need to leave Touro between 12-1:30PM or after 7PM, otherwise traffic is ****ing insane going back. That's why I just go to Astoria after my classes to study and smoke some shisha, stay there until 9-10PM, and then a quick 15 min drive home.

Yeah, you'll have quite an easy commute to Touro. Just hop on the Cross Island, make your way to the RFK bridge, and then to Touro, shouldn't take you more than 30 mins every day going there.

Going back home, the commute is weird. If I'm actually going back to my house, I need to leave Touro between 12-1:30PM or after 7PM, otherwise traffic is ****ing insane going back. That's why I just go to Astoria after my classes to study and smoke some shisha, stay there until 9-10PM, and then a quick 15 min drive home.

Smoking shisha everyday will kill you.
I have a few questions.
The school has wifi in the building right??
Are most of the books in pdf or online?
what do you think of this laptop
https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc...Id=8198552921644570897&parentCategoryId=16154

Smoking shisha everyday will kill you.
I have a few questions.
The school has wifi in the building right??
Are most of the books in pdf or online?
what do you think of this laptop
https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc...Id=8198552921644570897&parentCategoryId=16154

Bleh, don't really care about the effects of shisha, it tastes good. I don't smoke cigarettes though. I know plenty of old people who have smoked shisha every day for the last 40-50 years and they are perfectly healthy.

School does have wifi, but it's slow for doing anything other than browsing. I mean, we have professors who post up videos and stuff for us to watch before coming to class for discussion, and I can't watch them because the connection is too slow, forget about gaming. However, according to the dean, the connection is very fast around 6AM, but I guess that's because there aren't 500 people accessing it at 6AM. I hope they work on getting more bandwidth for next year.

There are some textbooks that are only in print, otherwise, you get access to this thing called "AccessPharmacy", where they have a few of the major textbooks that you'll use, like DiPiro's, Goodman and Gilman, etc. Personally, I need to highlight stuff when I read, so I bought all the books.

That laptop is alright I guess, it has a pretty sweet battery life. If you don't plan on doing any video editing or gaming, then get that laptop.

Bleh, don't really care about the effects of shisha, it tastes good. I don't smoke cigarettes though. I know plenty of old people who have smoked shisha every day for the last 40-50 years and they are perfectly healthy.

School does have wifi, but it's slow for doing anything other than browsing. I mean, we have professors who post up videos and stuff for us to watch before coming to class for discussion, and I can't watch them because the connection is too slow, forget about gaming. However, according to the dean, the connection is very fast around 6AM, but I guess that's because there aren't 500 people accessing it at 6AM. I hope they work on getting more bandwidth for next year.

There are some textbooks that are only in print, otherwise, you get access to this thing called "AccessPharmacy", where they have a few of the major textbooks that you'll use, like DiPiro's, Goodman and Gilman, etc. Personally, I need to highlight stuff when I read, so I bought all the books.

That laptop is alright I guess, it has a pretty sweet battery life. If you don't plan on doing any video editing or gaming, then get that laptop.

how is that laptop not for video editing or gaming? Did you even look at the specs?
1ghz video card
ssd hard drive
either i5 or i7 processor
1080p led display
4 to 8gb ram
bluetooth
backlit keyboard
good battery life

it just came out this month its the best laptop out on the market now.. Carbon fiber frame with aluminum inside and only weighs 3 pounds.. Nothing comes close to this right now.

oh I i smoke shisha too but rarely now.. that stuff gets you especially if you workout...once you do you feel the effects of it. Smoking shisha one time is equivalent to pack of cigarettes. :idea:

how is that laptop not for video editing or gaming? Did you even look at the specs?
1ghz video card
ssd hard drive
either i5 or i7 processor
1080p led display
4 to 8gb ram
bluetooth
backlit keyboard
good battery life

it just came out this month its the best laptop out on the market now.. Carbon fiber frame with aluminum inside and only weighs 3 pounds.. Nothing comes close to this right now.

The price configured to the maximum is $4500. That's a pretty tiny screen too, 13"??? I have an Alienware M17, I have a 17" wide display 1920x1200 resolution. Running dual ATI Radeon 3870s on it, which were good last year. Only issues with it is the obscenely short battery life (1.5 hours), and it definitely needs a cooling pad while playing games, it overheats, which might just be something that can be fixed if I send it in.

The price configured to the maximum is $4500. That's a pretty tiny screen too, 13"??? I have an Alienware M17, I have a 17" wide display 1920x1200 resolution. Running dual ATI Radeon 3870s on it, which were good last year. Only issues with it is the obscenely short battery life (1.5 hours), and it definitely needs a cooling pad while playing games, it overheats, which might just be something that can be fixed if I send it in.

Doesn't the m17 weigh over ten pounds?

Instead of spending > $1000 on a laptop for gaming, spend $300 on a netbook/laptop for class, and $700+ on a desktop that will blow any gaming laptop out of the water.

Yeah, the M17 with the power brick, extra battery, and all the other stuff I carry with me for class, weighs in around 22 lbs. I drive to school anyway, so I only have to carry it for a short period of time.

22 pounds vs 3 lb computer + 3 for adapter...under 10 pounds or 22 hmm...All Im saying is alienware makes nice machines but this computer is as capable if not more with a light weight:D

22 pounds vs 3 lb computer + 3 for adapter...under 10 pounds or 22 hmm...All Im saying is alienware makes nice machines but this computer is as capable if not more with a light weight:D

i'm still not clear about what gaming means and if we have to do it in school. do you know people who are happy with a mac? if i will be buying a computer for school and i love my mac already, do you think i should still get it? or have you heard of people having trouble with theirs? thanks

i'm still not clear about what gaming means and if we have to do it in school.

If you want to play video games in class, sure go for it. The professors definitely will not ask you to do it while they are lecturing; the choice is totally up to you. :D

Guys, those who are accepted, can you please, and honestly share with us Your GPA and PCAT score
I will Share mine 3.4 GPA and PCAT of 70%
THere are so many people i know who want to apply but they feel ther are not competitive enough. Even my boy friend wants to apply to touro. ANY HELP

Instead of spending > $1000 on a laptop for gaming, spend $300 on a netbook/laptop for class, and $700+ on a desktop that will blow any gaming laptop out of the water.

Very good advice, especially considering that the limiting factor on campus (and most other places) is going to be the network bandwidth anyway.

A good 4 year old laptop running XP will smoke through just about any task except gaming or video editing, especially if you don't have 30 unused processes, searchbars, add-ons, and tray icons running all the time for no reason.

i'm still not clear about what gaming means and if we have to do it in school. do you know people who are happy with a mac? if i will be buying a computer for school and i love my mac already, do you think i should still get it? or have you heard of people having trouble with theirs? thanks

Yes, plenty of people are happy with macs. You don't have to do any gaming at all. I just like to play video games, and I'd like for my laptop to have the specifications to be able to play the high powered video games.

You won't have time for gaming when school starts. Sometimes you will forget to breathe. Trust me. Last week we had over 1000 slides to study, not fun. Biostats, it is as complicated as it sounds.

You definitely won't be gaming in school. The bandwidth for the internet is flaky, slow, and unreliable. Only good enough to get on blackboard and surf the web. If you want to load a video or download a large file, forget about it.

I say get a netbook, its light and affordable. You won't need all that high tech stuff. anything over 10 pounds can be a back-breaker especially if you have a long commute ahead of you.

I am from U district area, how about u?
Oh wow, I am from South Seattle (close to International District). Are you going to Touro this year? Let me know so we can plan together in finding a place to stay or something. Are you a guy or gal?

You won't have time for gaming when school starts. Sometimes you will forget to breathe. Trust me. Last week we had over 1000 slides to study, not fun. Biostats, it is as complicated as it sounds.

You definitely won't be gaming in school. The bandwidth for the internet is flaky, slow, and unreliable. Only good enough to get on blackboard and surf the web. If you want to load a video or download a large file, forget about it.

I say get a netbook, its light and affordable. You won't need all that high tech stuff. anything over 10 pounds can be a back-breaker especially if you have a long commute ahead of you.

I'm playing Modern Warfare 2 right now. :)