Touro COM Screening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybee123

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had some questions about the Touro COM screening process. I was interested in applying to the Harlem campus, but I have heard that Touro screens applicants pretty seriously. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know what their cutoffs are?
2) If an individual is below the cutoff, does that guarantee they will not get a secondary? Like is your application no longer considered for the cycle at that point, or will they accept new MCAT scores if you can get them in before their deadline?
3) Has anyone (or do you know anyone) that has been accepted to Touro COM with scores/gpa below the minimum threshold?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you get the secondaries, the cycle is long!

Last edited:
I can confirm that Touro-CA and Touro-NV screens seriously. Their GPA cutoff is 3.0 I believe. Someone I know got screened out of secondary because he was borderline.
Edit: he got an quick-rejection a few hours after he submitted his AACOMAS to Touro. So that probably means if you don't meet the minimum, they won't bother to look at your whole application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 7 in a subsection on the MCAT and my GPA is all kinds of screwed up. I still got all 3 Touro secondary invites, you seriously should be fine!

Aw, congratulations! Are
I can confirm that Touro-CA and Touro-NV screens seriously. Their GPA cutoff is 3.0 I believe. Someone I know got screened out of secondary because he was borderline.
Edit: he got an quick-rejection a few hours after he submitted his AACOMAS to Touro. So that probably means if you don't meet the minimum, they won't bother to look at your whole application.

Thank you both for your responses! The quick rejection is what I was concerned about. My GPA is high, but my MCAT is just a liiiiitle hurt lol. I can retake the MCAT, but it will not be until the January test dates. The only problem is that my primary application has already been submitted. So, I don't want to get rejected from the school (or denied a secondary), if they only consider the number, and haven't even looked at my whole application.

Side note: I know that I can do better on the exam, and their deadline isn't until April....so do you think they ever reconsider applications if initially rejected, as in I retake the MCAT and show improvement they relook into me as a student? Or do they offer provisional secondaries, like "we'll give you a secondary, but we need to see another attempt at the MCAT"?

I am pretty sure Touro CA and Touro NY are the ones who lovveeeee a high MCAT. Touro NV seems to have MCATs more in line with the other DO's.

Reactions: 1 users
Aw, congratulations! Are

Thank you both for your responses! The quick rejection is what I was concerned about. My GPA is high, but my MCAT is just a liiiiitle hurt lol. I can retake the MCAT, but it will not be until the January test dates. The only problem is that my primary application has already been submitted. So, I don't want to get rejected from the school (or denied a secondary), if they only consider the number, and haven't even looked at my whole application.

Side note: I know that I can do better on the exam, and their deadline isn't until April....so do you think they ever reconsider applications if initially rejected, as in I retake the MCAT and show improvement they relook into me as a student? Or do they offer provisional secondaries, like "we'll give you a secondary, but we need to see another attempt at the MCAT"?
From the person I knew who got rejected quickly, he said it was a straight rejection email instead of a "shall your academic profile improves later in the cycle, we will reconsider your application." Not sure how this applies to the MCAT, but I suggest call and ask.

They screen but it doesn't mean **** As They have a hard on for the MCAT. A 3.8 and 27 MCAT won't do a thing for you. Come at them with a 3.1 and 33 and you'll have them bending over backwards. This is for T-CA

Pleeeeease let this be true

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So if an applicant were to apply with a sub 3.0 and a high MCAT score (510+) they would still make it past screening?

So if an applicant were to apply with a sub 3.0 and a high MCAT score (510+) they would still make it past screening?

I'm pretty sure they said low, not abysmal. Virtually no one getting in with a <3.0.

My take on this is to skip the coastal Touros if your GPA is < 3.2 and MCAT < 26 on the old exam.

Hi, I had some questions about the Touro COM screening process. I was interested in applying to the Harlem campus, but I have heard that Touro screens applicants pretty seriously. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know what their cutoffs are?
2) If an individual is below the cutoff, does that guarantee they will not get a secondary? Like is your application no longer considered for the cycle at that point, or will they accept new MCAT scores if you can get them in before their deadline?
3) Has anyone (or do you know anyone) that has been accepted to Touro COM with scores/gpa below the minimum threshold?

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, Should I bother filling out my secondary for this school if I have a gpa of 3.3 and MCAT of 500?
and I am Canadian

510+ is not enough. More like 513+. Class of 2020 had an avg of 514. Conversely, their GPA avg is one of the worst in the country. That along with their curricilum probably explains why their students struggle so much on the boards when the MCAT avg is that high

Where on earth are you getting those numbers?

There is no DO school with a 514 average. Most MD schools don't even have an average MCAT that high.

Last time I checked, Touro CA had the highest MCAT average at 30.8 That's around a 508. Touro NY is a hair lower at just above 30.

Also, what is it about the curriculum that's a problem?

Pleeeeease let this be true

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not. The coastal Touros love a good MCAT but not that much. I've posted this a million times, but I applied last year with a ~3.20 and a 34. I did get an interview at Touro NY but that was more to do with my ECs -- I had a full year of intense clinical/volunteering working with Harlem's homeless. I didn't even get accepted. I was immediately rejected from Touro CA. I know a lot of people who applied to the Touros with similar stats. They only got interviews if they had a very special 3rd factor or if they, like me, fit the mission statement very well.

From my experience, the more likely candidate at the Touros has a 3.4 and a 31.

It's abundantly clear that you would bend over backwards to go to this school, but don't ever act like you know what you're talking about, esp not when you're a pre-med with a propesenity for employing cognitive dissonance. You're inability to wrap your head around the notion that a DO school can exceed a 508 avg is laughable. How do I know? Your numbers are almost 2 years outdated. Why don't you call the admissions office and find out for yourself? Make sure you ask Steven Davis what the NEW MCAT avg was

Yikes, guys! I think you both make good points. I think the only way to really get accurate information about the stats for the school is to call the admissions office. Everything online is outdated like you said or even non-existent. However, the admissions officers can fabricate what their numbers are, almost make the school seem "better". I would just say apply, as you have nothing else to lose. If you receive a secondary, then reconsider whether you can truly see yourself at the school, it's location, do they have what you need academically, etc.

1-2 years ago Touro-NV screened out MCAT avg 25 or less. Probably higher now?

1-2 years ago Touro-NV screened out MCAT avg 25 or less. Probably higher now?

I would assume so. Almost all of the DO programs that do screen have risen their requirements throughout the last several years. I just hate the screening process though :mad: even if you have many applicants, you should still consider the entire application before throwing out because of a number.....grr.

I read in previous threads that if Touro-Harlem sends out a secondary application and a confirmation email then your guaranteed an interview or at least they will highly consider you for an interview. Sounds too good to be true.

I read in previous threads that if Touro-Harlem sends out a secondary application and a confirmation email then your guaranteed an interview or at least they will highly consider you for an interview. Sounds too good to be true.
how accurate is this??

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

I got screened out at Touro-CA because of the 3.0 GPA cut-off, but I got secondaries from both ATSU campuses...
o_O
I ain't complaining though!:biglove: