Touro Harlem VS. NYITCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashvoyger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into both Touro Harlem and NYITCOM. I need to choose between one of these schools and I was wondering if I can get some Feedback. From the posts I have read, it seems that nyitcom is the better school but I was wonder how much better. Am I going to get a significantly better education, better clerkship's and better residency matches? After doing the math I realized that nyitcom is going to cost me $6230 more each year. Is Nyitcom worth the extra 6 grand or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that number with living expenses factored in? Because living in the city will probably cost you more than Long Island.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is that number with living expenses factored in? Because living in the city will probably cost you more than Long Island.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes that's with living expense factored in. So what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Living on Long Island is quite expensive, and need a car to get around. Especially in the old westbury area. Touro, is in Harlem, and can find a decent priced apt and would be able to use mass transportation for mobility.

Living on Long Island is quite expensive, and need a car to get around. Especially in the old westbury area. Touro, is in Harlem, and can find a decent priced apt and would be able to use mass transportation for mobility.

For me personally, I will be living with my parents So room and board should be close to zero for both schools. For touro I would have to take public transport which will take an hour and 20 minutes. For nyitcom I will have to drive which will take an hour and 10 minutes or more if there is significantly more traffic. These estimates are for one way for both schools.

Last edited:
Yes that's with living expense factored in. So what do you think?
So I'm definitely no expert on this, but personally I would go to Touro just because I feel l'd have a better school/life balance in the city to help stay sane and have plenty of opportunities/connections being in the city. Plus the fact that it's somehow cheaper would sell it for me. There are some older posts on SDN that give details and opinions from students who attend both that you should search around. I know Touro sometimes gets a bad rep (low test scores, etc) and it sounds like NYIT has really good rotations, although they do both have rotations in the city. To me, low test scores don't turn me away from a school because it doesn't determine how you will ultimately do. At the end of the day you should go with whatever one you felt more comfortable at and could see yourself enjoying. Consider things like mandatory attendance, class size, resources they have and other things that will better help you succeed. Here are some other posts with more opinions on both:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nycom-vs-touro-ny.1047224/
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/touro-ny-or-nycom.653897/
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/touro-ny-harlem-vs-nyit.1109394/

For me personally, I will be living in my parents So room and board should be close to zero for both schools. For touro I would have to take public transport which will take an hour and 20 minutes. For nyitcom I will have to drive which will take an hour and 10 minutes or more if there is significantly more traffic. These estimates are for one way for both schools.
Whooooa, that sounds like it will get old pretty quick. If you are absolutely set on not getting a place closer to school, I'd go to Touro. Spending 3 hours commuting each day is a big waste of study time. On public transit you could atleast be somewhat productive, you can't really study while driving.

Whooooa, that sounds like it will get old pretty quick. If you are absolutely set on not getting a place closer to school, I'd go to Touro. Spending 3 hours commuting each day is a big waste of study time. On public transit you could atleast be somewhat productive, you can't really study while driving.
I realize that 3 hours a day of commuting is very very very annoying but is saves me 20-30k a year so I will have to deal with it since I need loans to fund my education. the only problem i have with the threads that you posted is that they are not new. I want something from 2015 or newer so i can adequately compare clinical rotations which I think is really important. I realize that nyitcom has more sites than touro 44 to 30 respectively but they are also bigger than touro and quality not quantity. what would really seal the deal for me is if someone tells me that the quality of there clinical sites is about the same. as for preclincial education from what I know about there programs they should be about the same in quality. please correct me if i am wrong about this.

I realize that 3 hours a day of commuting is very very very annoying but is saves me 20-30k a year so I will have to deal with it since I need loans to fund my education. the only problem i have with the threads that you posted is that they are not new. I want something from 2015 or newer so i can adequately compare clinical rotations which I think is really important. I realize that nyitcom has more sites than touro 44 to 30 respectively but they are also bigger than touro and quality not quantity. what would really seal the deal for me is if someone tells me that the quality of there clinical sites is about the same. as for preclincial education from what I know about there programs they should be about the same in quality. please correct me if i am wrong about this.

I would go to the school specific threads. Ask directly in there and ask if you can PM a current student. Better than hoping one of them seeing it here.

Yes, for the better Boards pass rates, and you won't jacked around by administration like they did this year to the entering OMSI's. I can't recommend Touro-NY

I have been accepted into both Touro Harlem and NYITCOM. I need to choose between one of these schools and I was wondering if I can get some Feedback. From the posts I have read, it seems that nyitcom is the better school but I was wonder how much better. Am I going to get a significantly better education, better clerkship's and better residency matches? After doing the math I realized that nyitcom is going to cost me $6230 more each year. Is Nyitcom worth the extra 6 grand or not?

I cannot recommend commuting 2-3 hours a day. That is what we in the biz call a bad idea.

Reactions: 3 users
Both schools suck, to be honest. NYITCOM has that crazy high class size and Touro-NY has all the drama surrounding it. I'd probably go with Touro but you should try Rowan or PCOM if you want to stay in te area and get an excellent education.

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools suck, to be honest. NYITCOM has that crazy high class size and Touro-NY has all the drama surrounding it. I'd probably go with Touro but you should try Rowan or PCOM if you want to stay in te area and get an excellent education.

Dude I know people with 3+ MD acceptances who never even got an interview at Rowan or PCOM.

Hey Flashvoyger, I am currently in a similar situation as you. I was accepted to Touro Harlem and waitlisted at NYITCOM. I live in one of the NYC boroughs and would have to commute to Touro for about 75-90 minutes a day (what I did in college x 4 years anyway). Since I interviewed at NYITCOM early (September, 2017), I have a good shot of coming off the waitlist early as well.

Where did you end up going and do you think you made the right decision?