Touro MSMHS vs. NSU KPCOM CHPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed0516

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current applicant to DO applied everywhere. ORM from CA with a 3.17 cgpa 3.01 sgpa mcat: 510 (127-127-129-127). I had 3 interviews —> 3 WL.

I am debating my options for this fall, I am 28 so I do not want to waste another year. I am looking at formal post baccs and SMP’s. Here are my two options I am deciding between.

TOURO CA MSMHS

Pros:

- 15 minutes from home
- my top choice DO school
- allows me to be with my fiancé and see my family
- 60 student class

Cons:

- more difficult curriculum than the other option
- only a guarantee interview with a 3.0 or 80% weighted gpa. Many students are getting waitlisted after this program.
- only about 25 matriculate each year

NSU KPCOM certificate in health preparations

Pros:

- beautiful campus and city
- guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ gpa, already interviewed us.
- 100% of inaugural class of 30 were accepted to their program.

Cons:

- across the country from family
- the class size may be going up to close to 100 students so not sure how many will get in.
- nsu having match problems and have heard some issues as of late.

Hoping to get some insight or guidance, I have been really struggling with this, and I know many have said to do a DIY post bacc but I’m scared I could do that and not get in. If Touro offered a guaranteed acceptance I’d be taking that 100%. Not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! So i actually interviewed and got into the NSU-KPCOM CHPP. So someone during my interview asked them if they could have seats because they are increasing their class size to 81. The admission told us they already reserve seats ahead of time for their CHPP class and whoever decides to not attend their seats are given up to the other regular medical school applicants. So I had previously contacted admission and previous students about the match issue and you can look up their statistics online their match rates have actually increased in the last two years because of the changes they have made to their curriculum. Also, they are really transparent about their stats and their shortcomings. I personally got into LECOM and NSU-KPCOM but I preferred NSU due to the guaranteed acceptance and their rotation hubs. I am also moving across the country so I can relate to your hesitation leaving that behind but you can also try applying to schools closer to home once you finish the program and if you do not get in at least you know you have an acceptance in your back pocket. Hope this helped!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was curious about the NSU health professional preparation program. The website says 3.6 gpa. I was wondering if you could expand on that. Is that 85%+? How difficult is it to obtain. I would probably need to write the MCAT again if I go into it. Any input would be appreciated.

Current applicant to DO applied everywhere. ORM from CA with a 3.17 cgpa 3.01 sgpa mcat: 510 (127-127-129-127). I had 3 interviews —> 3 WL.

I am debating my options for this fall, I am 28 so I do not want to waste another year. I am looking at formal post baccs and SMP’s. Here are my two options I am deciding between.

TOURO CA MSMHS

Pros:

- 15 minutes from home
- my top choice DO school
- allows me to be with my fiancé and see my family
- 60 student class

Cons:

- more difficult curriculum than the other option
- only a guarantee interview with a 3.0 or 80% weighted gpa. Many students are getting waitlisted after this program.
- only about 25 matriculate each year

NSU KPCOM certificate in health preparations

Pros:

- beautiful campus and city
- guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ gpa, already interviewed us.
- 100% of inaugural class of 30 were accepted to their program.

Cons:

- across the country from family
- the class size may be going up to close to 100 students so not sure how many will get in.
- nsu having match problems and have heard some issues as of late.

Hoping to get some insight or guidance, I have been really struggling with this, and I know many have said to do a DIY post bacc but I’m scared I could do that and not get in. If Touro offered a guaranteed acceptance I’d be taking that 100%. Not sure what to do.
You MCAT is good but the GPA is on the lower side.