Touro or LECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalpulp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both and I have to make the decision pretty quickly. What should I do--cost wise, they are the same. I want to have the option of specializing which I feel like I can't do as a LECOM grad, but I also want to have leadership opportunities and make a difference that I can make at TOURO. What are some things I'm overlooking to make my decision?

Touro:
+ New -- opportunity to make a difference, leadership opportunities and clubs
- no strong foundation to see what my path would be like
- One year Residency required
- No established clinic patient pool
- clinic under construction
- No research?
+ new technology
+ Columbia faculty
+ beautiful area but - cold weather

LECOM
+ PBL is more relaxed
+ established patient pool, and passing scores
+ research
+beautiful area, but - nothing to do
- PASS/FAIL makes it hard to specialize later

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you're considering Touro. None of the reasons you listed above are in line with your goal(s). Being a new school, it's going to be even harder to get into a specialization program. The required 1-yr residency also gears you towards becoming a GP too.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 1 year residency is just for people who want to practice in NY.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like Touro because of the new technology, faculty, and the fact that's in new york (for personal growth reasons) but I also don't want to miss out on a traditional dental path--in terms of student life/leadership opportunities/research. I guess I'm asking what criteria matters more in the long run-- because I want a school that provides the highest trajectory for success/ least debt. My main goal is to be a competent confident dentist with adequate experience and practice management skills. I know both will provide those.

From what I've heard, LECOM is going to start giving traditional letter grades starting with the incoming class. This should make it easier for those who want to specialize.

From what I've heard, LECOM is going to start giving traditional letter grades starting with the incoming class. This should make it easier for those who want to specialize.
Hey! I was wondering where you heard this or if it's just a rumor. I saw someone post about the letter grade thing in another thread but haven't seen anyone with clear evidence. Just curious as I'm attending lecom in July. Thanks!

LECOM: cheaper, better weather, more established, you can specialize from any school don't be silly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I actually went to the Touro pre-dental day event, and they said that they are probably going to implement letter grading cause many of the students wanted to specialize. I also talked to many of the students, and they said that the faculty are awesome (they are), they also said that they really listen to the students to see how they feel with certain things like exams, teachers, and other things, and then they literally accommodate everything to the students likings. I'm not going to lie, but a lot of Toruo is still under construction and not fully done so its kinda weird for the amount of tuition, like the gym and the elevators and other rooms aren't done, but it also it has one of the nicest simulation labs I've ever seen. About the patient pool, they said that they have their marketing department in full force to get an actual pool before patients clinic actually starts. The tuition for the year is around $58,000-$60,000, but the cost of living is surprisingly high, one of the student said she shares a apartment with 2 other roommates and it comes out be around $1500 a month just for a room. The area is pretty cool, very peaceful, and if thats not your thing, the city is an hour away by car. All in all, I got a very cool laid back vibe from the students, and the faculty and simulation lab by itself is way worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither is all that great. But have to say LECOM....Touro is very new. LECOM is shifting to traditional grading system but it has a sketchy past with board scores which some will deny. Regardless, its the better choice.