Touro university CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any medium alternates been offered a seat yet?

Have any medium alternates been offered a seat yet?
Nope, I have not heard anything from high alternate yet. I have a feeling the adcom will be meeting next week to discuss waitlisted candidate and ranking them within the tiers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I have not heard anything from high alternate yet. I have a feeling the adcom will be meeting next week to discuss waitlisted candidate and ranking them within the tiers.

Dam they haven't started pulling people yet? Awwww this is Gonna b painful lol

hey guys. For those that have made the deposit and will be attending Touro, did you get a '@tu.edu' email yet? Is there an orientation date before school starts that is released yet? Do you know when we will be receiving our loans?

I got my '@tu.edu' e-mail yesterday. For Fall 2011, orientation was August 1 & 2. I'm guessing it will be the same for us. As for the loans, I have no idea yet.

I got my '@tu.edu' e-mail yesterday. For Fall 2011, orientation was August 1 & 2. I'm guessing it will be the same for us. As for the loans, I have no idea yet.

I think the house I mention is good. I've been talking to my friend she's she's just as picky as we are.

Hello fellow Touro P1's. Congrats on the acceptance! I'm a P2 (c/o 2015) so I'll be seeing some of you in Aug.

I assure you that making the choice to attend this school is a VERY SMART move. The professors here are the best at lecturing and will definitely challenge you to be the best of the best. Prepare to study A LOT!!!

It is no surprise that our school scores among the highest on the naplex and cpje compared to other CA schools.

Take care, and enjoy your summer. :)

Does anyone know if they have started pulling from the wl yet?

Hi. Did you guys sign up for classes yet? I entered the 1P code for the block schedule and the courses that came out were PHRM601, PHRM602, PHRM603, PHRM604, PHRM605, PHRM620 totaling 21 units and the classes are M-F from 9-4. I just wanted to make sure that this was correct because on the top of the page it says TUCOM First year for me instead of TUCOP.

Lol...yes I am. I will send you a PM.

Hey Consultation and 2012, I am assuming you both have your pharm tech certifications? Would you say it's absolutely possible to pass the examination by studying separately from some kind of class?

Hey Consultation and 2012, I am assuming you both have your pharm tech certifications? Would you say it's absolutely possible to pass the examination by studying separately from some kind of class?
Hi! I am actually not certified yet. Just licensed. But I heard from my coworkers that if you have pharmacy experience already then you can pass it with your eyes closed. I plan on taking it becaused now it's required.

Hi! I am actually not certified yet. Just licensed. But I heard from my coworkers that if you have pharmacy experience already then you can pass it with your eyes closed. I plan on taking it becaused now it's required.

I dnt have the experience... What would you recommend? I wanted to work As a tech for a while and get some experience before I apply again if I dnt get in this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Did you guys sign up for classes yet? I entered the 1P code for the block schedule and the courses that came out were PHRM601, PHRM602, PHRM603, PHRM604, PHRM605, PHRM620 totaling 21 units and the classes are M-F from 9-4. I just wanted to make sure that this was correct because on the top of the page it says TUCOM First year for me instead of TUCOP.

Yeah its all correct, those are P1 fall classes. Its funny cuz they have me as a TUCOM also :laugh:, but its no biggie.

Thanks! I didn't think it was right because I remember a friend telling me that they had class on Monday - Thursday's only haha I guess it changed this year

No prob. That's partially true b/c some Fridays will be completely off while other Fridays you might be scheduled to work 4 hours at some retail pharmacy or have some special training on campus (blood pressure, immunization, ect).

I dnt have the experience... What would you recommend? I wanted to work As a tech for a while and get some experience before I apply again if I dnt get in this cycle.
I went thru a pharmacy tech program and have over 5 years of pharmacy experience. I highly recommend working in a pharmacy because then you will be certain it is something you want to do for the rest of your life. Try and see if can pass the exam and work as a tech. It will help you with admission as well.

I went thru a pharmacy tech program and have over 5 years of pharmacy experience. I highly recommend working in a pharmacy because then you will be certain it is something you want to do for the rest of your life. Try and see if can pass the exam and work as a tech. It will help you with admission as well.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Do any of you guys know where the rotation sites are? I was just wondering haha

Hi everyone, I am popping in here as a late-arrival to the SDN party for Fall 2012'er.

I am curious about the debt load of Touro students. 222pharmd, does Tu offer any grants at all? As a P2, do you find the intern money to help with your living expenses so you can reduce your loan liability? It's a huge sticking point for me and I would truly appreciate your insight, as a current student.

I submitted my $2,000 deposit back in November/December so I am definitely going and committed but just trying to shore up my budget for fall and onward. Thank you!!

Do any of you guys know where the rotation sites are? I was just wondering haha

I know Highland Hospital in Oakland must be one of them!

Hi everyone, I am popping in here as a late-arrival to the SDN party for Fall 2012'er.

I am curious about the debt load of Touro students. 222pharmd, does Tu offer any grants at all? As a P2, do you find the intern money to help with your living expenses so you can reduce your loan liability? It's a huge sticking point for me and I would truly appreciate your insight, as a current student.

I submitted my $2,000 deposit back in November/December so I am definitely going and committed but just trying to shore up my budget for fall and onward. Thank you!!

There are no grants for professional programs, as far as I've heard at least. Scholarships are a possibility, but it does take some extra effort to win one. Most students just get loans through the school to pay for tuition and all their living expenses. I only request for the min amount (tuition cost only) since I currently live with family and commute to school daily (75miles from home to school). I wouldn't suggest working right away. Wait till you take your 1st round of block exams to make that decisions. Some can handle working on the weekends, and others can't. I only work on call, but even so, I still decline some shifts cuz I need the extra time to study.

To answer the rotation questions, its based on the address at which you reside. They look for sites that are within 45-60 miles from that address for the rotations. Since I live outside of Vallejo, all of my IPPE rotations have been around where I live. Most of them are only like 3-5 miles away, which is pretty cool. :)
But obviously if you live in an area where other pharm students live, the sites are limited so you may be required to commute a bit further.

There are no grants for professional programs, as far as I've heard at least.Scholarships are a possibility, but it does take some extra effort to win one. Most students just get loans through the school to pay for tuition and all their living expenses. I only request for the min amount (tuition cost only) since I currently live with family and commute to school daily (75miles from home to school). I wouldn't suggest working right away. Wait till you take your 1st round of block exams to make that decisions. Some can handle working on the weekends, and others can't. I only work on call, but even so, I still decline some shifts cuz I need the extra time to study.

To answer the rotation questions, its based on the address at which you reside. They look for sites that are within 45-60 miles from that address for the rotations. Since I live outside of Vallejo, all of my IPPE rotations have been around where I live. Most of them are only like 3-5 miles away, which is pretty cool. :)
But obviously if you live in an area where other pharm students live, the sites are limited so you may be required to commute a bit further.

I have access to "mailing addresses" in a couple cities in other parts of Northern California like Sacramento and Lodi. Sacramento does have CNCP, but would it be to my advantage to put my home of record in Lodi to secure better IPPE possibilities? (Commuting to work > commuting to school?)

Do people generally worry about being able to pay back their loans after graduation? I mean, even if you start at $90,000 a year, you're going to be eating an entire pay period for loan payment if you take even 160k (tuition only) let alone 200k+ like I'm sure some people are (Not everyone commutes or has family nearby, I'm guessing?).

Thank you for your input, I truly appreciate it. This is a humongous decision and it's making me sweat =/

I have access to "mailing addresses" in a couple cities in other parts of Northern California like Sacramento and Lodi. Sacramento does have CNCP, but would it be to my advantage to put my home of record in Lodi to secure better IPPE possibilities? (Commuting to work > commuting to school?)

Do people generally worry about being able to pay back their loans after graduation? I mean, even if you start at $90,000 a year, you're going to be eating an entire pay period for loan payment if you take even 160k (tuition only) let alone 200k+ like I'm sure some people are (Not everyone commutes or has family nearby, I'm guessing?).

Thank you for your input, I truly appreciate it. This is a humongous decision and it's making me sweat =/

For the first 2 years just use the address from where you will rent/commute to school for the IPPE's. These IPPE's are just 4 hours long and you'll only have to go to 2 sites your 1st sem and 3 for your 2nd sem, so not that often. If you want to travel from Lodi to Vallejo, that's definitely doable. That's a little over an hour drive right? But don't sweat it about getting "better" IPPE locations lol, everyone gets put in some Walgreens, CVS or Safeway their 1st year :rolleyes:. As soon as didactics are over, I'm sure you can change your address to your home town. Many people from my class are from Socal so I'm sure they'll move back and do there 2 years of rotations there.

I'm sure many are worried about the cost of tuition, but it is what it is. The D.O. students are paying a little more than us (1 or 2 grand more per sem), but don't let the tuition cost bother you too much. Just think positive, impress your preceptors during your rotations and you'll most likely land a job after graduation. I already know some recent grads that already got hired, the sites are just waiting for them to get licensed.

From what my friend (P3) says the debt is a lot, but as with any school it's going to be stressful to think about money all the time. My friend works every weekend as a intern and she makes an interns salary which can cover small personal expenses (ig gas. food, clothes, etc).

If you can find work while in school I say do it! You get some money plus your intern hour requirements out of the way at the same time! However focus on the academics too bc the compressed 2 year didactic learning can be overwhelming.

Personally, for the past 2 years I have been saving up money on the side to pay for school and when I got accepted into TouroU I only wanted to borrow enough money to covers tuition and loans fees, health insurance, and living expenses(rent). Just really evaluate how much loans you want to borrow, borrow the smallest amount you can because remember interest is going to creep up on you. I have had friends say just borrow all of it!!!! But just keep in mind it isn't not free government money.

It's good you have these concerns but still if you think about the money too much on how to pay this or that it will consume your mind because you are always worrying. Thus interferes with school etc. etc remember to enjoy school but at the same time living comfortably within your means.

Good luck!!!!

From what my friend (P3) says the debt is a lot, but as with any school it's going to be stressful to think about money all the time. My friend works every weekend as a intern and she makes an interns salary which can cover small personal expenses (ig gas. food, clothes, etc).

If you can find work while in school I say do it! You get some money plus your intern hour requirements out of the way at the same time! However focus on the academics too bc the compressed 2 year didactic learning can be overwhelming.

Personally, for the past 2 years I have been saving up money on the side to pay for school and when I got accepted into TouroU I only wanted to borrow enough money to covers tuition and loans fees, health insurance, and living expenses(rent). Just really evaluate how much loans you want to borrow, borrow the smallest amount you can because remember interest is going to creep up on you. I have had friends say just borrow all of it!!!! But just keep in mind it isn't not free government money.

It's good you have these concerns but still if you think about the money too much on how to pay this or that it will consume your mind because you are always worrying. Thus interferes with school etc. etc remember to enjoy school but at the same time living comfortably within your means.

Good luck!!!!

Does anyone know if they have started pulling from the wl yet?

I'm Sure they will start taking ppl off soon. I just withdrew my seat to touro at the last mintue because I got into the school I wanted. So really, anything can happen because I was so set to to go Touro and bam I got thrown into another direction.

They accept people up to the first week for classes so all the deadlines can be pushed no worries!

Good luck!! :rolleyes:

For the first 2 years just use the address from where you will rent/commute to school for the IPPE's. These IPPE's are just 4 hours long and you'll only have to go to 2 sites your 1st sem and 3 for your 2nd sem, so not that often. If you want to travel from Lodi to Vallejo, that's definitely doable. That's a little over an hour drive right? But don't sweat it about getting "better" IPPE locations lol, everyone gets put in some Walgreens, CVS or Safeway their 1st year :rolleyes:. As soon as didactics are over, I'm sure you can change your address to your home town. Many people from my class are from Socal so I'm sure they'll move back and do there 2 years of rotations there.

By better, I meant better opportunities. I hear horror stories of people that can't get internship hours, and I definitely do not want that to be me.

I'm sure many are worried about the cost of tuition, but it is what it is. The D.O. students are paying a little more than us (1 or 2 grand more per sem), but don't let the tuition cost bother you too much. Just think positive, impress your preceptors during your rotations and you'll most likely land a job after graduation. I already know some recent grads that already got hired, the sites are just waiting for them to get licensed.

Thanks for all of your advice and insight... could you elaborate a little on how the last 2 years at Touro works? They didn't discuss it at all during the interview/orientation thing and I'd like more information about it. Thank you!!

By better, I meant better opportunities. I hear horror stories of people that can't get internship hours, and I definitely do not want that to be me.

Thanks for all of your advice and insight... could you elaborate a little on how the last 2 years at Touro works? They didn't discuss it at all during the interview/orientation thing and I'd like more information about it. Thank you!!

I haven't heard of any horror stories about internship hours before, but don't worry about that..the school sets it all up for you. :) The total IPPE requirement for the 1st two years is 140 hours, 100 of which will be provided by the school through the sites they assign to you. The remainder 40 hours will be up to you to find..but don't worry, you got two years to find places to work those hours, just don't wait till the last month of classes though. There will be tons of opportunities to acquire these 40 extra hours (national pharmacy events, campus events, career day, etc). Most people just stay longer at the sites the school assigns for them. For example, we are required to be at our sites for only 4 hours, however, you have the opportunity of staying the full 8 hours to gain the extra 4/40 hours. I plan to get mine done that way :p

So after you successfully complete the first two years of classes, you will begin your two years of rotations (I believe rotations start sometime in the summer). I'm not 100% sure on all this info, but this is what I recall. There will be 11 rotations total, some of which will be electives. Each rotation site lasts for about 6 weeks. You will also have a gap in that schedule to choose when you want to take a break (I believe 6 wks as well). As you may know, you need about 1500 hours of internship experience in order to take the boards. The school provides 600 of those hours, therefore, you need to earn the remainder 900 hours on your own to meet that total requirement. Those 900 hours must be from a community pharmacy setting (walgreens, cvs, rite aid, etc). So if you choose to have most of your rotations be in a community pharmacy setting, you will easily complete those 900 hours that way. This may all sound confusing right now, but you'll get presentations during your first semester to clear it all up. Hope my info kinda helps.

I haven't heard of any horror stories about internship hours before, but don't worry about that..the school sets it all up for you. :) The total IPPE requirement for the 1st two years is 140 hours, 100 of which will be provided by the school through the sites they assign to you. The remainder 40 hours will be up to you to find..but don't worry, you got two years to find places to work those hours, just don't wait till the last month of classes though. There will be tons of opportunities to acquire these 40 extra hours (national pharmacy events, campus events, career day, etc). Most people just stay longer at the sites the school assigns for them. For example, we are required to be at our sites for only 4 hours, however, you have the opportunity of staying the full 8 hours to gain the extra 4/40 hours. I plan to get mine done that way :p

So after you successfully complete the first two years of classes, you will begin your two years of rotations (I believe rotations start sometime in the summer). I'm not 100% sure on all this info, but this is what I recall. There will be 11 rotations total, some of which will be electives. Each rotation site lasts for about 6 weeks. You will also have a gap in that schedule to choose when you want to take a break (I believe 6 wks as well). As you may know, you need about 1500 hours of internship experience in order to take the boards. The school provides 600 of those hours, therefore, you need to earn the remainder 900 hours on your own to meet that total requirement. Those 900 hours must be from a community pharmacy setting (walgreens, cvs, rite aid, etc). So if you choose to have most of your rotations be in a community pharmacy setting, you will easily complete those 900 hours that way. This may all sound confusing right now, but you'll get presentations during your first semester to clear it all up. Hope my info kinda helps.

Your insight is most valuable, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that for me. Hopefully it'll be useful to others, as well.

I suppose my next question is the most important... knowing everything you do now, would you do it over again?

Your insight is most valuable, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that for me. Hopefully it'll be useful to others, as well.

I suppose my next question is the most important... knowing everything you do now, would you do it over again?

That's a tough question to answer :p ...yes and no.... Yes because its a prestigious profession, I can actually be proud of my accomplishment when I graduate, I'm used to helping people out and the salary is pretty good....and no because it's not my "dream job", I never expected to be be doing something like this as a career [I just realized I was good at bio/chem by chance after taking a class as a GE in college, which led me here], too many pharmacists these days, working retail sucks.. (but that's where majority of pharm jobs are) and I don't like how tuition keeps going up for these types of programs (makes me think most schools are in it for profit now)...

I guess I have more cons than pros :laugh:

But that's my honest answer. I don't want to be like most people and give a fake response about things like this.

That's a tough question to answer :p ...yes and no.... Yes because its a prestigious profession, I can actually be proud of my accomplishment when I graduate, I'm used to helping people out and the salary is pretty good....and no because it's not my "dream job", I never expected to be be doing something like this as a career [I just realized I was good at bio/chem by chance after taking a class as a GE in college, which led me here], too many pharmacists these days, working retail sucks.. (but that's where majority of pharm jobs are) and I don't like how tuition keeps going up for these types of programs (makes me think most schools are in it for profit now)...

I guess I have more cons than pros :laugh:

But that's my honest answer. I don't want to be like most people and give a fake response about things like this.

Out of curiosity, what would be your dream job (assuming such a thing really exists, a true "dream job" besides just being in the 1% and living on a yacht all day)?

Oddly, I don't particularly mind working retail. I like the pace, and I like the look on peoples' faces when I tell them how much a pharmacist behind the counter at my work makes. It's always good for a smile.

I DEFINITELY agree with you on the tuition. It's unreasonable. I have spoken with several of my colleagues who are pharmacists at both the hospital and the retail levels and they all insist they would have chosen much different fields had the tuition been anywhere near $40,000 a year (not factoring in everything else on top, bringing total CoA near or in excess of 70k).

Out of curiosity, what would be your dream job (assuming such a thing really exists, a true "dream job" besides just being in the 1% and living on a yacht all day)?

Oddly, I don't particularly mind working retail. I like the pace, and I like the look on peoples' faces when I tell them how much a pharmacist behind the counter at my work makes. It's always good for a smile.

I DEFINITELY agree with you on the tuition. It's unreasonable. I have spoken with several of my colleagues who are pharmacists at both the hospital and the retail levels and they all insist they would have chosen much different fields had the tuition been anywhere near $40,000 a year (not factoring in everything else on top, bringing total CoA near or in excess of 70k).

Long story short, my dream job would have been in the mechanical engineering field, particularly in motor design and operations. I've always been interested in it as a kid, but all hope is not lost, I'll still be doing things along those lines as a hobby :)

To anyone still waiting, they are definitely still taking ppl off the waitlist. My friend just got an acceptance call/email a few minutes ago (from high alternate) but he won't be taking the spot, so goodluck to those still waiting :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I'm on the high alternate wl as well, but have not heard from the admission committee yet.

I'm on the medium waitlist, received an email last week saying it will be very unlikely for me to be offered a seat at this point. Think that means they're just about full and there are plenty of high alternates still waiting :(

Congratulations on getting into Touro! I'm currently a P3 and have a 4 room house to rent on Mare Island. The rooms are unfurnished, but everything is in very new and clean condition. The entire house can be rented out or by individual rooms. Let me know if any of you are interested by private message and we can discuss the details! :idea:

Hi everyone, I just got a LOW alternative spot, does that mean they declined me? Do you think I have any chance of acceptance?? :(

You're posting in a very outdated page. To answer your question, you're not declined but you have a very low chance of getting in.

Hi everyone, I just got a LOW alternative spot, does that mean they declined me? Do you think I have any chance of acceptance?? :(

Have you heard something from the admissions committee?

You're posting in a very outdated page. To answer your question, you're not declined but you have a very low chance of getting in.

Where is the current page? I unfortunately cannot seem to find it either. Thank you for your help :)

Gave up my seat here today. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!

Hi! I know this page is not as updated. But, does anyone who currently attends Touro CA know more about their rotation sites? Are they only in SF? Are we allowed to go to LA and do the two years of rotations there? Thanks for the help!

Hi! I know this page is not as updated. But, does anyone who currently attends Touro CA know more about their rotation sites? Are they only in SF? Are we allowed to go to LA and do the two years of rotations there? Thanks for the help!
Hello I am currently at Touro University and a third year student. Touro University California has a whole span of sites from in the Bay Area: SF, Santa Clara, Pleasanton San Jose, Berkeley, Fremont, Oakland, Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, to Sacramento, Yuba city, San Diego sites, LA county, Tracy and Modesto, the list is not all inclusive and are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. We have some unique ones in Alaska and Chicago as well the FDA in Washington D.C. So to answer your question, yes you are allowed to go to LA for rotations after the 1st semester of rotations your third year and can continue your 4th year. I wish you good luck and please do not hesitate to contact us on www.tu.edu with admissions.

Hello I am currently at Touro University and a third year student. Touro University California has a whole span of sites from in the Bay Area: SF, Santa Clara, Pleasanton San Jose, Berkeley, Fremont, Oakland, Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, to Sacramento, Yuba city, San Diego sites, LA county, Tracy and Modesto, the list is not all inclusive and are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. We have some unique ones in Alaska and Chicago as well the FDA in Washington D.C. So to answer your question, yes you are allowed to go to LA for rotations after the 1st semester of rotations your third year and can continue your 4th year. I wish you good luck and please do not hesitate to contact us on www.tu.edu with admissions.

I'm surprised you say that because I did call admissions and they said no.