Touro University - California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachsaki101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering whether anyone in this forum has applied to the new pharmacy school in California Touro University - California. If you did apply, have you heard anything from the school yet?

Thanks.

Beachsaki101

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i recently received an interview there.

I have an interview scheduled for early february

Members don't see this ad :)
azynchica, DScheveningen,

Thanks for your response. Good luck with the interview. I went to the interview last week and got my acceptance letter this week.

The people are very nice. The interview process is a little different in that it's a group interview. There were 2 groups of five the day I had the interview.

Congrats on your acceptance Beach. I have my interview in early march, and i was wondering what the interview was like. Would you mind sharing any of the questions the panel asked? Also, you said two groups of five interviewed, so is there a morning group and an afternoon group? Thanks!

beachsaki101 said:
I went to the interview last week and got my acceptance letter this week.

Congrats on your acceptance. If you are planning to attend there, don't forget to post your acceptance in the "Roll Call - Class of 2008/2009" thread. :)

dqkt said:
Congrats on your acceptance Beach. I have my interview in early march, and i was wondering what the interview was like. Would you mind sharing any of the questions the panel asked? Also, you said two groups of five interviewed, so is there a morning group and an afternoon group? Thanks!

dqkt,

Thanks.

I spent the night at the hotel nearby. In the morning the shuttle bus drove me and 3 other candidates to the school. At 9am the coordinator went over the schedule of the day. We were asked to write the 45-minute essay. After that the Dean met with us to go over the entire program (the classes we'll be taking each day/week and each semester, the teaching style, etc.) I really enjoyed her presentation. The main reason I applied to Touro even though it's a new school has to do with the Dean's experience and knowledge. She was an associate dean at UOP and then she moved to work for Western University in Pomona.

Then we met with the financial aid counselor for a little while. Then we split into 2 groups. Group A went in for the 1-hour interview with two panelists. Group B went on a campus tour. Then we switched. During my interview, however, the Dean joined us so there were 3 panelists. After the interview, the two groups met again for lunch go over any questions that we might have about the process.

It was an informal setting. The panelists asked typical questions such as why pharmacy, why Touro, where you see yourself in the future, what the future of pharmacy in the next few decades, etc. They want to see how mature you are, how much you know about the profession, how well you communicate and react in front of your peer. They also asked questions based on the candidates' answers so at times you might feel that they put you on the spot. The key is to relax, be yourself and pay attention.

It was the first time I had a group interview so I was a little concerned. I walked out of the interview feeling unsure of my performance, but my peer told me I did well. I had final exams during that week and the following week so it was a very difficult time for me. The good news arrived on Christmas Eve. What a relief it was!

I hope my posting helps.

Beachsaki101

Is there on-campus housing at Touro for the pharm students? If so, have any of you guys seen it?

beachsaki101 said:
azynchica, DScheveningen,

Thanks for your response. Good luck with the interview. I went to the interview last week and got my acceptance letter this week.

The people are very nice. The interview process is a little different in that it's a group interview. There were 2 groups of five the day I had the interview.

what questions should i expect from the interview? were they simple questions? how was the essay part?

DScheveningen said:
yes, i recently received an interview there.
did you go to the interview yet? do you know what questions to expect?

beachsaki101 said:
dqkt,

Thanks.

I spent the night at the hotel nearby. In the morning the shuttle bus drove me and 3 other candidates to the school. At 9am the coordinator went over the schedule of the day. We were asked to write the 45-minute essay. After that the Dean met with us to go over the entire program (the classes we'll be taking each day/week and each semester, the teaching style, etc.) I really enjoyed her presentation. The main reason I applied to Touro even though it's a new school has to do with the Dean's experience and knowledge. She was an associate dean at UOP and then she moved to work for Western University in Pomona.

Then we met with the financial aid counselor for a little while. Then we split into 2 groups. Group A went in for the 1-hour interview with two panelists. Group B went on a campus tour. Then we switched. During my interview, however, the Dean joined us so there were 3 panelists. After the interview, the two groups met again for lunch go over any questions that we might have about the process.

It was an informal setting. The panelists asked typical questions such as why pharmacy, why Touro, where you see yourself in the future, what the future of pharmacy in the next few decades, etc. They want to see how mature you are, how much you know about the profession, how well you communicate and react in front of your peer. They also asked questions based on the candidates' answers so at times you might feel that they put you on the spot. The key is to relax, be yourself and pay attention.

It was the first time I had a group interview so I was a little concerned. I walked out of the interview feeling unsure of my performance, but my peer told me I did well. I had final exams during that week and the following week so it was a very difficult time for me. The good news arrived on Christmas Eve. What a relief it was!

I hope my posting helps.

Beachsaki101

did u have a bachelors degree? was the group interview with other candidates? how long was the interview?

i wanted to apply there, but when i contacted them, they told me that they dont accept international students.

Congrats Beachsaki, and thanks for the info. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
i wanted to know if anyone applied to touro university and if they heard anything, or went to an interview. if so, how was the interview like? how was the written part of the interview? what was your GPA? did you have a bachelors degree? -Thank you

dqkt said:

hi,
i have an interview too in early march. did you hear anything about how the interview is? or the written part of the interview?

I have an interview at Touro on January 14th. I'm so excited that I found this site at this time. It will definitely help me with my interviews. I'll let you guys know how the interview goes and what it's like. Wish me luck.

Yes, I have a degree.

Below is some more feedback from my interview.

You should know yourself well and be able to give an accurate picture of who you are and why you would be an asset to the school in less than 1 minute when they ask "tell us about yourself." Your timed essay will also portray you because it requires critical thinking under pressure.

The advantage of a group interview is to hear what your peer have to say and that extra time allows you to think of what you want to add to what you already have in mind. Be creative and don't duplicate what others had already mentioned.

Pay attention while others speak (the panelists will observe you while asking other candidates) and at the end perhaps mention what was said (both candidates and panelists) and add your opinion. That will make you stand out.

Ask the panelist(s) to share their experience.

It's a two-way interview. They ask you and you ask them. They can tell right away whether you are serious about the profession and about Touro. Show confidence, relax, eye contact with everyone, and SMILE.

By the way, Mare Island is being developed and will attract a lot of residents and businesses. Don't let the current look of the school fool you.

Good luck!

I think I attended the same interview as you beachsaki. I also got my acceptance letter a week after the interview.

I was not too impressed with the area when I was driving to the school. I thought it looked somewhat like a ghost town, since the houses there were vacant. The people at the school were very friendly though, so that calmed my nervousness a lot during the interview. The essay portion was not too tough. It just basically asked if you agree or disagree with a proposal. I think all they wanted to see was that you could articulate your ideas and know your grammar. The interview was divided into two groups, each with 5 applicants and 2-3 faculty members. Overall, the entire process was very relaxing and they even buy you lunch at the end :D

Good luck to everyone who has upcomming interviews at Touro. Remember to relax and be yourself!

hi, I read some of your respones to other peoples questions and I really thought you were very kind and helpful so I wanted to know if you could help me answer some of my questions. I only have a gpa around 3.0 and a science of about 2.7 or 2.8. However my prereq's is about 3.3. So i wanted to know what was your gpa like and also when did you apply? I had heard about Touro pretty recently and tried to apply as soon as I could. I applied Jan 3, 2005, however they did not evaluate my application until Jan 16 because they had misplaced by transcripts. I REALLY want to attend Touro and my dream is to become a pharmacist. I will really appreciate your time to help me answer my questions. I look foward to hearing from you, thank you.

P.S. any additional advices will be great!
Thank you again
beachsaki101 said:
Yes, I have a degree.

Below is some more feedback from my interview.

You should know yourself well and be able to give an accurate picture of who you are and why you would be an asset to the school in less than 1 minute when they ask "tell us about yourself." Your timed essay will also portray you because it requires critical thinking under pressure.

The advantage of a group interview is to hear what your peer have to say and that extra time allows you to think of what you want to add to what you already have in mind. Be creative and don't duplicate what others had already mentioned.

Pay attention while others speak (the panelists will observe you while asking other candidates) and at the end perhaps mention what was said (both candidates and panelists) and add your opinion. That will make you stand out.

Ask the panelist(s) to share their experience.

It's a two-way interview. They ask you and you ask them. They can tell right away whether you are serious about the profession and about Touro. Show confidence, relax, eye contact with everyone, and SMILE.

By the way, Mare Island is being developed and will attract a lot of residents and businesses. Don't let the current look of the school fool you.

Good luck!

Hi mf doom!

I believe it was in October that Touro had its first Open House. My husband and I attended that Open House and we liked the school immediately, so I turned in the application the following week.

Touro was very good in following up with my application. That made me like them more! I heard from them constantly.

My GPA is less than 3.5. I think it was my background projected in the personal statement and the 4 strong letters of recommendation that got me the interview. Yes, I turned in an extra LOR from my immediate boss who knew me rather well, professionally and personally. (Turning in the application early also helped.) I graduated from college a while back and had worked in the non-profit healthcare industry for at least five years. I also had a lot a community activities. I also have a young kid.

I spent a lot of time talking to at least a dozen pharmacists, a several dozens of pharmacy students doing rotation at the hospital's pharmacy where I volunteered. I visited at least 4 pharmacy schools in California, attended the Open House, met with the admission office, etc. I also looked at 3 out-of-state schools and was prepared to go there if it turned out that way. In addition, I had an alternative plan in case I couldn't get into pharmacy school this schoolyear. I guess what I am conveying are commitment and preparation, preparation, preparation.

One of the pharmacists that I talked to said this to me: "Knowing what you want and pay the price to get there."

Please feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Good luck!

Hi, I hope my post is of some help to you. I recently went to an interview at Touro and got accepted. I completed my application in late November. Touro was very good in following up with my application, too. I like how fast they responded to me. I received my interview invitation within a week after my application was completed. My GPA is around 3.2. I think the program is very promising. According to the Dean, they will receive their pre-candidacy status in June of this year. Don't worry. Your determination and hardwork will help you reach your goal. Good Luck!

mf doom said:
hi, I read some of your respones to other peoples questions and I really thought you were very kind and helpful so I wanted to know if you could help me answer some of my questions. I only have a gpa around 3.0 and a science of about 2.7 or 2.8. However my prereq's is about 3.3. So i wanted to know what was your gpa like and also when did you apply? I had heard about Touro pretty recently and tried to apply as soon as I could. I applied Jan 3, 2005, however they did not evaluate my application until Jan 16 because they had misplaced by transcripts. I REALLY want to attend Touro and my dream is to become a pharmacist. I will really appreciate your time to help me answer my questions. I look foward to hearing from you, thank you.

P.S. any additional advices will be great!
Thank you again

If we're going to a new pharm school like Touro University, is it considered a risky gamble? I'm debating if I should give that school a chance since it's close to where I live.

I'll quit lurking and finally post. Every school starts somewhere. Western was accredited in 2000. I think Loma Linda and UCSD still have 1-2 years to go. That being said, I already turned in my deposit.

The Dean was very competent and the admissions staff all seemed to know what they were doing, and if there will be any problems regarding accreditation, they will refund you the deposit. I don't think there is any risk going to school at Touro.
Also, the Dean was the associate dean at UOP for several years, and worked at Western during its startup- i'm not exactly sure what her position there was.
I was accepted a few weeks ago, but the $2000 deposit was too steep for me, I would prefer to take the year off and fulfill more pre-reqs and apply to more schools... this was just a personal preference, not because I was worried about attending the school.

Good luck! :)

azynchica said:
The Dean was very competent and the admissions staff all seemed to know what they were doing, and if there will be any problems regarding accreditation, they will refund you the deposit. I don't think there is any risk going to school at Touro.
Also, the Dean was the associate dean at UOP for several years, and worked at Western during its startup- i'm not exactly sure what her position there was.
I was accepted a few weeks ago, but the $2000 deposit was too steep for me, I would prefer to take the year off and fulfill more pre-reqs and apply to more schools... this was just a personal preference, not because I was worried about attending the school.

Good luck! :)

Yikes! $2000 for a deposit is the most I've seen. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

I have an interview this Friday (3/11). Is anyone else out there interviewing that day? I sure do hope I get in! :)

jadeOC said:
I have an interview this Friday (3/11). Is anyone else out there interviewing that day? I sure do hope I get in! :)

I had an interview last friday, let me know if you need anything!

Touro seems like a great school. They're affiliated with a big Jewish Univeristy that has a bunch of clout. Plus, they already have a number of other health professional programs and schools.

What do you guys think of Touro's unique pharmacy program? Do you think that two years of didatic instruction (as oppose to three years at other schools with a 4-year program) will adequately prepare us to do rotation? Do you think it is better to have more didatic instruction or clinical experience?

ytpharmd said:
What do you guys think of Touro's unique pharmacy program? Do you think that two years of didatic instruction (as oppose to three years at other schools with a 4-year program) will adequately prepare us to do rotation? Do you think it is better to have more didatic instruction or clinical experience?

Well if you look at their cirriculum, it is very similiar to UoP's 3 year accelerated program. You're in school pretty much year round. But you actually have to do another year of rotations added on. I went to the open house at Touro and the dean talked about how they almost went the 3 year route but opted for another year of clinical. They felt it would better prepare students and I agree. In essence, I believe you're really not doing any less didactic instruction than a 4yr program. I could be wrong.

Oh and Touro has an established Med. School, PA school, etc. so I don't think they'll have any problems getting accredited. If I remember correctly, someone asked the dean about accredation and he responded by saying, " No school has ever been denied accredation." So I wouldn't worry.

Can anyone who had an interview already with Touro tell me what type of questions they asked and essay he or she had to write? I'm nervous~! :scared:

Does anyone know the number of students which have been accepted to Touro University school of pharmacy? How many spots are left?

I love Sushi~! said:
Can anyone who had an interview already with Touro tell me what type of questions they asked and essay he or she had to write? I'm nervous~! :scared:

The essay topic will probably be something controversial, like "do you look at your toilet paper after you wipe?" It could also be something that'll make you feel uncomfortable. I wrote about the time when I was watching Basic Instinct with my friend's grandmother sitting a few feet away from me. :laugh:

All right, let's be serious
The dean will probably ask why pharmacy. Make sure you brush up a little on your current news on pharmacy. I was asked if meds were overprescribed, and the deal with the FDA allowing drugs to get quickly passed and enter the market. Uhm, this is a group interview, where two people are interviewing four (or more interviewees) at once.
they let you select one of three topics given to you. I wrote about pharmacist need to do more than just understand the biology and chemistry of pharmacology. Chances are, you probably won't get the same topic. Good luck! :thumbup:

P.S. Dammit, I just realized I'm competing with you! Oh well, I'm an idiot. :sleep:

DScheveningen said:
The essay topic will probably be something controversial, like "do you look at your toilet paper after you wipe?" It could also be something that'll make you feel uncomfortable. I wrote about the time when I was watching Basic Instinct with my friend's grandmother sitting a few feet away from me. :laugh:

Ew. Just ew. :eek:

I love Sushi~! said:

Maybe this link will help you with the interview and essay question: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169312&highlight=touro+california

When I went on the interview, the admission advisor basically said 5 out of 10 of us would get accepted, so that gave us a 50% chance. That might have changed now since I heard Touro has been holding quite a few interviews and their first class size will only have 60 seats. But don't stress, the admission advisor also said the school will keep at least a few seats available for applicants attending later interviews, though the chances may be a bit more slim but you still have a chance! :D Honestly, the interview was very relaxed so the best advice that I can give you is to be honest, smile, look interested, and don't make things up! Goodluck!!!

DScheveningen said:
The essay topic will probably be something controversial, like ".... :eek: ..."

I was waiting for something that really would make me laugh after many tense moments during this long application process. Good Luck with Touro! I am sure that your sense of humor came up in some fashion during your interview.

DScheveningen said:

That's not so controversial! How else would you know if you need to wipe some MORE!?!?!? :idea:

:laugh: That was funny! :laugh:

I guess i wasn't controversial enough. Touro just mailed my letter today, it indicates that I'm an HIGH Alternate on their list! sonuva beotch. Oh well, that's what i get for renacting the scene of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct during her interrogation. :laugh:

DScheveningen said:
I guess i wasn't controversial enough. Touro just mailed my letter today, it indicates that I'm an HIGH Alternate on their list! sonuva beotch. Oh well, that's what i get for renacting the scene of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct during her interrogation. :laugh:

It was the toilet paper comment. :laugh:

And remember, being on the alternate list doesn't mean rejection. Good luck. :luck:

DScheveningen said:

Stay cool. HIGH Alternate list, as FutureRxGal said, is NOT a NO GO. Good luck.

Is anyone still interviewing with Touro? Just curious because the website indicates that the Admissions Committee is still interviewing. Is anyone still interviewing?

I love Sushi~! said:
Is anyone still interviewing with Touro? Just curious because the website indicates that the Admissions Committee is still interviewing. Is anyone still interviewing?

They are interviewing until the end of April. I have one with them next week.

yuki said:
They are interviewing until the end of April. I have one with them next week.

That's great! When are you going? I was just worried because I recently completed my application and they told me until end of April too. Good Luck on your interview.

Those that got interviews, I was wondering if you could tell me your cum and sci gpa's (you can pm if you don't want to post it publically, I would really appreciate it). My gf applied to touro kind of late, so I am wondering about her chances of getting an interview. I really hope she gets one because I want to be close to her. She completed her application the begining of march. Hopefully they still have interview spots left.

Hey I e-mailed the school today because I got worried since I haven't heard anything. I applied kind of late too. Anyways, I got an e-mail back saying "There has been no change in the status of your file." So I'm crossing my fingers! If I hear anything I will let you know. Good luck to your gf! I'm hoping to be closer to my bf too (he's at UCSF Dental right now).

I love Sushi~! said:
Hey I e-mailed the school today because I got worried since I haven't heard anything. I applied kind of late too. Anyways, I got an e-mail back saying "There has been no change in the status of your file." So I'm crossing my fingers! If I hear anything I will let you know. Good luck to your gf! I'm hoping to be closer to my bf too (he's at UCSF Dental right now).

I just canceled my interview with Touro. I got accepeted to USC and although I would love to go here (since my fiance is here) we decide that USC would be a better fit for me. So hopefully, one of you can take the spot.

My GPA acumulative is 3.43
and science was 3.33

I turned in my application 1st - 2nd week of Jan. Feel free to PM me with questions. Good luck!!

yuki said:
I just canceled my interview with Touro. I got accepeted to USC and although I would love to go here (since my fiance is here) we decide that USC would be a better fit for me. So hopefully, one of you can take the spot.

My GPA acumulative is 3.43
and science was 3.33

I turned in my application 1st - 2nd week of Jan. Feel free to PM me with questions. Good luck!!

Congratulation on your acceptance! I know one of the professors that teaches OTC so if you need anything when you get there let me know! :D

Just wondering, since Touro is on rolling admission and they only accept 60 students, is there any new acceptance recently? In other words, is there still a space left?

hey touro kids,

this has nothing to do with your pharmacy acceptances/denials. (still, congrats to all of you who were accepted.) rather, i was just curious about something...i hope you guys and gals will indulge me.

i'm a touro grad - the med school. since i spent two glorious years on campus, i'm always wondering about new developments on the scene. obviously, the addition of a pharm school is a great new development. anyway, on to my question, which is very simple:

where the hell are you guys going to sit? did they tell you? i mean, i figure your hours will be as long (or almost as long) as the DOs/PAs. so where are they going to put all of you? especially the second year after the entering class expands... ????

i'm really interested in this and believe me, so are a lot of other current students/alums. hope someone can put up a reply... thanks in advance.

-drgiggles