Touro University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i still haven't heard from touro yet. my application was received on september 6th but it was incomplete since I forgot to send in my personal statement. is there a number i can call to check on my status?

Members don't see this ad.

babieblueazn said:
i still haven't heard from touro yet. my application was received on september 6th but it was incomplete since I forgot to send in my personal statement. is there a number i can call to check on my status?
call or email ms julie lee she'll let u kno

gmohamma said:
so my interview date is getting closer (nov 4), and im freaking out even more... as of now touro is my #1 because it's my one and only interview so far.. they say they'll mail back responses in 2 weeks so i'll either have a really good or bad birthday present next month. :scared: i just want to get into pharmacy school!

i keep thinking, man yeah i go to UCI but i have like a 3.1 BARELY. I mean BARELY.

I hope i get in, everyone pray for me and ill be praying for everyone who has an interview as well!

anyone know how many people they are interviewing??

I know for sure that it will be a group interview. Expect about 10-12 ppl in the session and then they break you up into 2 groups. It'll be a group interview of 5-6 ppl. I'm scared too! My interview is on 10/28..2 wks away!

Members don't see this ad :)
Swanchick84 said:
I know for sure that it will be a group interview. Expect about 10-12 ppl in the session and then they break you up into 2 groups. It'll be a group interview of 5-6 ppl. I'm scared too! My interview is on 10/28..2 wks away!

yeah group interview. my friend goes to touro pharm and she says not to worry, that everyone is nice.

i just wanna know how many people they are going to interview overall.. what are our chances of getting in since we were invited for an interview?

gmohamma said:
yeah group interview. my friend goes to touro pharm and she says not to worry, that everyone is nice.

i just wanna know how many people they are going to interview overall.. what are our chances of getting in since we were invited for an interview?

What does your friend think of Touro? I'm just wondering what the schedule is like there and how hard the workload is. Thanks!

gmohamma said:

Touro was at my school for a grad school fair and i asked them that. They said they will be interviewing until all the spots are full. Each interview session as 10-12 ppl. They say that in each group they could take all or none in that group depending on the interview. Also..it depends on your interview date- the earlier, the better chance of getting in. Hope that helps.

Swanchick84 said:
Touro was at my school for a grad school fair and i asked them that. They said they will be interviewing until all the spots are full. Each interview session as 10-12 ppl. They say that in each group they could take all or none in that group depending on the interview. Also..it depends on your interview date- the earlier, the better chance of getting in. Hope that helps.

wow that just made my night. I guess since im interviewing on Nov 4 there will hopefully be spots left.. so either they like me or they dont .. 50/50 chance. that makes me feel better about ! thanks!

Swanchick84 said:

Does that mean the interviewees are evaluated as a group, and not separately?

dragonet said:
Does that mean the interviewees are evaluated as a group, and not separately?

I had an interview at Touro... they evaluate each applicant individually. Part of the logic behind the group interview is to see how you work in a group setting...

Swanchick84 said:

does that mean that they have an interview session everyweek until seats fill up?

babieblueazn said:
does that mean that they have an interview session everyweek until seats fill up?

Yes they will have interview every week until all the seats are filled up. When is your interview babieblueazn? The format of the interview changed this year compared to last yr. This year the adcom have interviews 2 times a week so that is 20 students a week being interviewed for 80 seats

I just got my invitation today. I have to call and make an appointment for my interview. I'm trying to book flight tickets before i make my appointment.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys

I recently just got accepted to Touro and I am sending my deposit to them soon. :D I am so freaaaaaaakin happy...its great.

A little about me: I went to UOP as an undergraduate, and had a hard time getting into the pharm school because I was never in their accelerated program. My GPA was good enough for the accelerated program, but since I wasn t in the program they didn t care.
After my BS at UOP, I did some re-takes, and reapplied. My GPA is prob a 3.0 before re-takes, but after retakes i am not sure. I took the PCAT already, but haven t applied to any out of state schools yet, but since I got accepted at Touro and I want to stay in California, I am not going to apply anywhere else.

About Touro: I drove to the school the week bf the interview, and I was so dissapointed. It was depressing ... just like I was told. Mare Island is pretty much a deserted military location. Looks like a ghost town, and the school is small in the middle of no where.
But when looking beyond the location site, I came to realize that this school got a lot of potential. There is plenty of land to expand their school, and the school itself has a great program ( after all...we are going to grad school for knowledge, not for site seeing and happening city life) . The school just got 2 brand new lecture rooms, and they are both very nice.
Vallejo is rite in the middle of everything...which is great. The city itself is not the best city ever, but it is just a 50 minutes drive or less from San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento. So if u are interested in shopping, a nite life, great food, and good weather...its not unreachable. The Bay Area got it all.

The Interview: During the interview, everyone was very nice. The dean and the professors were all very nice, and down to earth. Like u guys prob already know, it was a group interview. I loved it. It allowed me to be myself... and showed them what I got. The interview tells them how you act around people, and whether you can communicate your thoughts or not. They already know why we want to be pharmacists, but they are interested in what we would do with our degrees. ( the 1st question for my group interview was "What will you be doing 20 years ffrom now?"
During the interview, they already know your academic abilities, and your experiences in pharmacy, so the interview was my chance to show them what kind of a person I am.

Tips for the Interview: Relax, be yourself. Be aware of others' answers. Don't sound fake, they can tell! Do not talk too much!!!!! There is no need to answer every single question, just make sure you are actively listening, and show that you are involve in the conversation. Be polite and let other people talk... but make sure to not just sit back either. Let them know that u are there. Oh....and one important thing...do not take too long to answer a question. Time is short, and it is a group interview...say what you need to say to answer the question, not more.

After the interview, it took about 3 weeks to get a letter back. Deposit is $2000. It is alot, but I think it is a way to kick out the students that need them as a back up. Its ok to use them as a back up...but if u go anywhere else...2 grand is down the drain.

hmmm...sorry about the long post. But before the interview...i was dying to have someone tell me more about the school. anyways, hope this was helpful. :cool:

congrats to you. i have my interview tomorrow and i am from uop too. that's a long time to wait for an acceptance letter! i was just wondering for the interview is a 1 min answer considered too long?

oink2655 said:
congrats to you. i have my interview tomorrow and i am from uop too. that's a long time to wait for an acceptance letter! i was just wondering for the interview is a 1 min answer considered too long?

hi oink2655! i'm from uop, too! are you working toward ure bachelor right now or do you already have one?

congrats to wannabepharmacist! thnx for sharing your advices and giving tips :)

i wish you all the best of luck!

oink2655 said:

a 1 minute answer is ok. It all depends on the question. Good luck on the interview.

Hi everyone,

I just got back from my Touro interview that was on 11/3 (I'm from New Jersey so it was along plane ride!). I was really impressed with the faculty and staff there. True, Mare island isn't the prettiest place right now, but it is definitely a safe environment and they are in the middle of making lots of improvements. There used to be a naval base there, but since it closed down in 1997 they've been revamping the entire island.

My interview was very friendly and the professors were great! The students I saw around campus also seemd to be happy there.

One thing I really like about the program is the two full years of rotations instead of the normal one year. It is also a very technologically centered program; every student has to bring a laptop to class. Another thing they stress a lot is team work. There are lots of group presentations, etc.

All in all, I liked the school but am worried about making such a large deposit without hearing back from any other schools yet.

Hope this helps some people who were wondering more about the school!

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
where u get ur BACHELOR DEGREE? i dont have one!! =\

Hi,

I received my Bachelor's Degree from The College of New Jersey. Good Luck with your interviews!

Wannabepharm, Congrats on your acceptance.

Can you, or any other people who have interviewed, give any suggestions on how to prepare for the essay portion of the Touro interview? What was the time frame? Were the topics difficult?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

babieblueazn said:
I just got my invitation today. I have to call and make an appointment for my interview. I'm trying to book flight tickets before i make my appointment.

hey, PM me with ur status, they did not even response to me back or anything! it has been like a month, i think my status is high, maybe im just from Community College, and they do not like me :(?

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
hey, PM me with ur status, they did not even response to me back or anything! it has been like a month, i think my status is high, maybe im just from Community College, and they do not like me :(?

I recall Mr. Davis, the Director of Admissions, saying that they are currently inviting highly qualified candidates with (or that will be receiving) bachelor's degrees before matriculation.

trvlgrl said:
Wannabepharm, Congrats on your acceptance.

Can you, or any other people who have interviewed, give any suggestions on how to prepare for the essay portion of the Touro interview? What was the time frame? Were the topics difficult?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

The writing sample was 45 minutes, maximum of 4 paragraphs. We were given a paragraph to read and told to respond to 1 of 3 questions regarding what we had read.

Stephie, I was in your interview group (the other flutist). Hey, you did really well. I'm sure you'll get in. ;) I wasn't feeling so hot that day. I came in that morning with a crazy cough and sore throat. I did my best to keep a smile on my face even though I felt like dying. The next day, my doctor told me I had to stay home from work for 5 days because I had a really bad case of bronchitis. I'm loving my Z-pack right now. Anyway...

Overall, I was really impressed by the interview format at Touro. Everything was well organized and they even had time to feed us lunch at the end. The school looks very promising, too. All the staff, from the dean to the financial aid lady were super informative. The area around the school is also showing promise. I was lucky (an unlucky) enough to be diverted off my route from all the detours/construction occurring on the island. Some of the new communities are BEAUTIFUL! The houses were huge (and expensive)!

for those of you who already went to the interview, what time was the interview over at? before 3pm?

babieblueazn said:
for those of you who already went to the interview, what did was the interview over at? before 3pm?
the interview ends at 1:20 after lunch

babieblueazn said:
for those of you who already went to the interview, what time was the interview over at? before 3pm?

Here's a summary of the interview agenda they gave us:

9 - 9:10 am ... Director of Admissions reviews agenda

9:10 - 9:55 am ... Writing Sample

9:55 - 10 am ... BREAK

10 - 10:15 am ... Financial Aid Presentation

10:15 - 11:00 am ... Dean goes over pharmacy program

11 - 12 noon ... Interviews

12 - 1 pm ... Campus Tour

1 - 1:30 ... Lunch

ICA said:
The writing sample was 45 minutes, maximum of 4 paragraphs. We were given a paragraph to read and told to respond to 1 of 3 questions regarding what we had read.

Stephie, I was in your interview group (the other flutist). Hey, you did really well. I'm sure you'll get in. ;) I wasn't feeling so hot that day. I came in that morning with a crazy cough and sore throat. I did my best to keep a smile on my face even though I felt like dying. The next day, my doctor told me I had to stay home from work for 5 days because I had a really bad case of bronchitis. I'm loving my Z-pack right now. Anyway...

Overall, I was really impressed by the interview format at Touro. Everything was well organized and they even had time to feed us lunch at the end. The school looks very promising, too. All the staff, from the dean to the financial aid lady were super informative. The area around the school is also showing promise. I was lucky (an unlucky) enough to be diverted off my route from all the detours/construction occurring on the island. Some of the new communities are BEAUTIFUL! The houses were huge (and expensive)!

Thanks ICA! I thought that our group had a good dynamic during the interview and that we all have a good chance of getting in. Right now I'm really feeling the anticipation of getting that letter- 2 weeks didn't seem like a long time before but now it sure does!

I'm sorry that you were sick for the interview- hoepfully you'll be feeling better soon. Your story about your son was very inspiring!

Does anyone know how long Touro's Winter and Summer breaks are? I emailed someone at the school about it but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I know that the semesters are longer than usual (19 weeks) and that the school starts earlier than normal in August, but knowing the exact schedule would be nice.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the information. I have an interview scheduled for later this week. Any last minute advice or tips??? Thanks. I am really nervous!

trvlgrl said:
Thanks everyone for the information. I have an interview scheduled for later this week. Any last minute advice or tips??? Thanks. I am really nervous!

Congrats!

Relax.

Be yourself.

;)

Oh yeah, if you don't know where the school is, be EARLY! There are a lot of detours and you can get lost really easily (like me). :oops:

ICA said:
;)

Oh yeah, if you don't know where the school is, be EARLY! There are a lot of detours and you can get lost really easily (like me). :oops:

Thank you! I will remember that! :D

hey stephie, I am also from TCNJ with a bachelor's. I'm two years out of school with a chem degree. I'm taking the bio classes now at Mercer county. Just out of curiousity, what type of GPA/PCAT scores did you have? Coming from TCNJ with about 3.3 GPA, im curious if I will even be that competitive. Still waiting for pcat's.

trvlgrl said:

One piece of advice I have is to show the panel how well you work with other people. I think that's part of the reason why they have agroup interview at Touro.

Good Luck- I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Stephie

henitz9 said:
hey stephie, I am also from TCNJ with a bachelor's. I'm two years out of school with a chem degree. I'm taking the bio classes now at Mercer county. Just out of curiousity, what type of GPA/PCAT scores did you have? Coming from TCNJ with about 3.3 GPA, im curious if I will even be that competitive. Still waiting for pcat's.

Hi henitz9,

Wow- another person from TCNJ! I graduated in 1999 with a Bachelor's in Music Education- GPA 3.5. I just took the PCAT in October, so still waiting for that score.

Where else did you apply? There aren't many schools in our area that seriosly consider transfer students so I've had to apply to lots of out of state schools.

Good Luck with everything!

Stephie

hey steph,
i actually haven't applied yet to anywhere. This is a real recent decision for me and I'm actually just taking Bio 1 right now. So yeah i took the PCATs without actually taking biology, but i think i may have actually done somewhat decent. I am pretty much going to apply everywhere. Temple seems to be the only school in this area that favors applicants with a bachelor's. I am thinking that it will be a long shot for me to be accepted for next fall, but I am still going to give it a shot. A more realistic goal would be for 2007 i suppose. Where have you been taking prerequisites since I'm guessing you did not do them as a music major?

henitz9 said:
hey steph,
i actually haven't applied yet to anywhere. This is a real recent decision for me and I'm actually just taking Bio 1 right now. So yeah i took the PCATs without actually taking biology, but i think i may have actually done somewhat decent. I am pretty much going to apply everywhere. Temple seems to be the only school in this area that favors applicants with a bachelor's. I am thinking that it will be a long shot for me to be accepted for next fall, but I am still going to give it a shot. A more realistic goal would be for 2007 i suppose. Where have you been taking prerequisites since I'm guessing you did not do them as a music major?

Hi,

I started taking my prerequisites at Camden County College during the Fall 2004 semester and am still there now. I'm hoping to get accepted for pharmacy school to the Fall 2006 class.

I agree with you about Temple being the only school in the area that favors applicants with a Bachelor's Degree. You'd think there would be more pharmacy schools in our area!

Stephie

Stephie said:
What does your friend think of Touro? I'm just wondering what the schedule is like there and how hard the workload is. Thanks!

students gets 1 week off for xmas break and 2 weeks off for spring break

oink2655 said:
students gets 1 week off for xmas break and 2 weeks off for spring break

Wow- I had no idea that there was no normal month long winter break at Touro. What about Summer break?

ICA said:

Hi ICA,

I hope that you're feeling better from your bronchitis. I couldn't even tell at the interview that you were sick- You answered all of the questions really well! Good luck with everything!

Stephie

P.S. Where else did you apply?

Stephie said:
Hi ICA,

I hope that you're feeling better from your bronchitis. I couldn't even tell at the interview that you were sick- You answered all of the questions really well! Good luck with everything!

Stephie

P.S. Where else did you apply?

Thanks Stephie,

I'm on azithromycin and Hycodan :eek: right now. Hoping to feel better for my interview tomorrow.

I applied to 6 CA schools (look at my signature on the first post of this page).

ICA said:
Thanks Stephie,

I'm on azithromycin and Hycodan :eek: right now. Hoping to feel better for my interview tomorrow.

I applied to 6 CA schools (look at my signature on the first post of this page).

Good Luck tomorrow- and keep feeling better!

I just got the email acceptance today!! Time to celebrate- I'm so excited!!!!

Stephie

Stephie said:
I just got the email acceptance today!! Time to celebrate- I'm so excited!!!!

Stephie

Hey Congrats! Did you request them to email you your results? Or do they automatically do that? I thought they said they would send letters via mail unless you really needed to know then they would send an email. Just curious. I am dying with anticipation.

Also, does anyone know how many times/people a week they are interviewing? 10-12 people per interview x (number of days a week). Do they only interview on Thursdays? I am just trying to get a feel for how many interviews they have already conducted.

Anyone out there who has been accepted to Touro want to share their Stats?

Good Luck To Everyone Else Out There!

trvlgrl said:
Hey Congrats! Did you request them to email you your results? Or do they automatically do that? I thought they said they would send letters via mail unless you really needed to know then they would send an email. Just curious. I am dying with anticipation.

Also, does anyone know how many times/people a week they are interviewing? 10-12 people per interview x (number of days a week). Do they only interview on Thursdays? I am just trying to get a feel for how many interviews they have already conducted.

Anyone out there who has been accepted to Touro want to share their Stats?

Good Luck To Everyone Else Out There!

Hi tvgrl,

I had to email Touro to find out my results Friday because I had a deadline to meet to accept another school's interview that very same day.

I'm not sure how many people they've interviewed so far, but it seems like they're interviewing a lot of people every week!

Good Luck!

Stephie

Congrats Stephie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

See, I knew you would get in! Unfortunately for me, I was placed on the "high alternate" list which has me a little worried. :scared: ... but I figure there's still a lot of time in the admissions cycle. Someone's gotta want me. :laugh:

I read that you turned down another interview invite in light of the good news. Is Touro your first choice school? (I think you will enjoy California.)

ICA said:
Congrats Stephie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

See, I knew you would get in! Unfortunately for me, I was placed on the "high alternate" list which has me a little worried. :scared: ... but I figure there's still a lot of time in the admissions cycle. Someone's gotta want me. :laugh:

I read that you turned down another interview invite in light of the good news. Is Touro your first choice school? (I think you will enjoy California.)

Hi ICA,

I thought that you did really well at the interview and am surprised that you are on the alternate list. I'm sure that you'll get in later on!

I'm not exactly sure what my fisrt choice school is right now. There is only one in-state school in NJ (Rutgers) and they don't accept many non-Rutgers students at all. So no matter what I'll probably have to move. Moving far away from home would be scary but I absolutely love California! Being from the East Coast I'm a little frightened of earthquakes though...

Good Luck with everything!!!

Stephie

Good luck to anyone receiving letters from Touro this week- I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

wannabepharm said:
hi guys

Hi,

Congratulation on your acceptance. I'm on the process of finishing up the app for Touro...Can you tell me how long you have to wait untill they notified you of an interview after you submitted the complete application. I will turn in my app tomorrow (11/16). Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing as janbran.

How long did it take for them to review your apps before setting up an interview?
Man, I've been reading here for awhile but this is the first time i've posted. I have been really lagging on this application process. I am only now starting my essay :eek: :eek: . I try to come on here often to read everyone's posts to motivate myself to get going already.

How does someone get onto the high alternate list? Is it because they've already given out all the spots for acceptances so you end up on the high alternate list? If that's the case then I'm realllly late!!

By the way, hi everyone! :)

talula37 said:
I was wondering the same thing as janbran.

How long did it take for them to review your apps before setting up an interview?
Man, I've been reading here for awhile but this is the first time i've posted. I have been really lagging on this application process. I am only now starting my essay :eek: :eek: . I try to come on here often to read everyone's posts to motivate myself to get going already.

How does someone get onto the high alternate list? Is it because they've already given out all the spots for acceptances so you end up on the high alternate list? If that's the case then I'm realllly late!!

By the way, hi everyone! :)

to save myself some time...i used the same personal statement from PharmCAS. I was invited for an interview...so maybe you could do that. Good luck!

janbran said:
wannabepharm said:
hi guys

Hi,

Congratulation on your acceptance. I'm on the process of finishing up the app for Touro...Can you tell me how long you have to wait untill they notified you of an interview after you submitted the complete application. I will turn in my app tomorrow (11/16). Thanks.

I sent in my application sometime in August and they send me an invitation for an interview in October. I think that if you send in your app now they will probably get back to you even sooner. The best thing is to apply ASAP!