Touro University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jspeck8370

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a pharmd student at touro and also the treasure of touro university of california. if any one has any questions regarding touro let me know

josh speck
pharmd candidate 2009
vp of finance
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

jspeck8370 said:
Im a pharmd student at touro and also the treasure of touro university of california. if any one has any questions regarding touro let me know

josh speck
pharmd candidate 2009
vp of finance
[email protected]

I applied to Touro and was placed on waiting list as High Alternate. From what you've seen or through students that you've talked to, what would be the chance for a person on high alternate waiting list get in this year?

Bonnie&Bunny said:
I applied to Touro and was placed on waiting list as High Alternate. From what you've seen or through students that you've talked to, what would be the chance for a person on high alternate waiting list get in this year?

bonnie, what were ur stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I applied end of December, do you have any updates on applications received after that? Bonnie, when did you apply, and do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks

jspeck8370 said:

josh speck
pharmd candidate 2009
vp of finance
[email protected]

I'm interested in applying to Touro for Fall 07. How are you liking the program there? How was your interview? Did you volunteer at a pharmacy as an undergrad? etc. Any information would be helpful. Thanks. :)

I'm really nervous about the application process..it's coming so soon. :eek:

since mr speck seems to be MIA, i'll answer some of ur questions because i interviewed there a couple months back.

from last yr, no one got in from the alternative list, because there was no movement in the seats. i got this from the student tour guide who was admitted last yr (she's also the co-president of this club they're starting). no clue how things are THIS yr. but best of luck.

after talking to a few students (around 4 of them) and also seeing the students around campus, whether they're DO students or pharmacy students, they all seem really happy to be there and enjoying themselves. they love the close relationships they have w/ their classmates and teachers, and all have nothing but good things to say about it. one student i talk to said they get a lot more hands on experience compare to the ucsf pharm students.

i was impressed by how much the ppl enjoy being there, especially considering the school campus itself is depressing and ugly and limited because it's build in the middle of a island that use to be a naval base. so a lot of warehouses, railroads, fork lifts... construction. but their class rooms are nice, and technologically advance. the pharmacy class room has 3 big screen tvs in the front and it has wireless internet. the school is big on using laptops.

as for the application process. i submitted my app end of october. got my acknowlegement notecard about a month later. about a week after got an interview letter (end of nov). interview was middle/end of jan. the result was received ~2 weeks afterward. but once u go to the interview, they'll tell u what to expect.

i started volunteering right when i know im applying to school, june 05. 4 hr/week at a hospital pharmacy.

lastly, i'm not sure if the'yre still interviewing. from around the forum ppl said march 30th was their last day? not too sure thou.

best of luck to everyone, my advice is to apply EARLY.

i agree with lilia, I experienced the same thing. Apply ASAP, i think i sent my app in late august and had an early november interview and got accepted 2 weeks later. All the students seem pretty happy there.

GO TUCOP!!!!!!

Hey lilia -- have you started looking for housing yet?

I will also be attending Touro University in the Fall as a P1 and am so excited for school to start! I sent in my application in August, had an interview in November, and found out I was accepted 1 week later. All in all, I loved the school when I went there for my interview- great faculty, friendly students, and good curriculum.

I'm from New Jersey and have only been to the Bay area a couple of times so living in CA will be very different for me. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like? Or the traffic? Do people have air conditioners, or does it not get thet hot?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Stephie said:
I will also be attending Touro University in the Fall as a P1 and am so excited for school to start! I sent in my application in August, had an interview in November, and found out I was accepted 1 week later. All in all, I loved the school when I went there for my interview- great faculty, friendly students, and good curriculum.

I'm from New Jersey and have only been to the Bay area a couple of times so living in CA will be very different for me. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like? Or the traffic? Do people have air conditioners, or does it not get thet hot?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

oooo! I can! I'm an undergrad at Davis but I'm from the bay area. The weather is kinda nice, except it does rain a lot during the winter months. Bring warm clothing! If you visit SF, the weather is generally in the 60's, so it doesn't get too hot. nice! :)

Traffic: Depends on what time you leave. :) I generally try to avoid I-80 from 3-6. Heaviest traffic (especially headed towards the Bay Bridge) Morning traffic is also a bear.

Hopefully that's helpful. :D

if you have any other questions about the bay area, i'd be more than happy to answer them.

:cool:

Hey gmohamma

I'm applying this summer for Pharm school and I have about the same gpa and I'm somewhat worried about getting any acceptances. So what do you think got you into Touro?

dragonqueen209 said:
Hey luckycloud5

I'm applying this summer for Pharm school and I have about the same gpa and I'm somewhat worried about getting any acceptances. So what do you think got you into Touro?

hey there, for me. i feel that i was invited for an interview because i had a strong heartfelt personal statements. my grades weren't great: 3.2 cumm, 2.9 pre pharm. i had a lot of extracurriculars: 3 yrs volunteering, sorority, student body, various clubs, habitat for humantity, locks of love, teaching sunday school...

and i was accepted because i had an awesome interview as in our group discussion went very smoothly and my answers were sincere and well thought out.

i think the biggest key is to APPLY early!! you really have a better chance that way.

best wishes!

delite310 said:
hey there, for me. i feel that i was invited for an interview because i had a strong heartfelt personal statements. my grades weren't great: 3.2 cumm, 2.9 pre pharm. i had a lot of extracurriculars: 3 yrs volunteering, sorority, student body, various clubs, habitat for humantity, locks of love, teaching sunday school...

and i was accepted because i had an awesome interview as in our group discussion went very smoothly and my answers were sincere and well thought out.

i think the biggest key is to APPLY early!! you really have a better chance that way.

best wishes!

What did you say about your extracurriculars and sorority? I've been in a sorority since freshmen year but I dont' really have other extracurriculars. I work two jobs though and one is at Longs Pharmacy while the other is research assistant at the California Smoker's Helpline. Do you think jobs will be just as good as extracurriculars?

Members don't see this ad :)
dragonqueen209 said:
Hey gmohamma

dragonqueen, you need to apply early. I cant stress that enough.. I think that's what got me my interview (and I was also myself on the application) and i really tried hard during the interview to be active and answer as many questions as possible. I think my interview probably sealed the deal... the other people in the group seemed kind of nervous... and i tried to be positive as much as possible and listen to others' answers, and make it more a conversation than just answering questions.

hope that helps

gmohamma said:
dragonqueen, you need to apply early. I cant stress that enough.. I think that's what got me my interview (and I was also myself on the application) and i really tried hard during the interview to be active and answer as many questions as possible. I think my interview probably sealed the deal... the other people in the group seemed kind of nervous... and i tried to be positive as much as possible and listen to others' answers, and make it more a conversation than just answering questions.

hope that helps
How does the group interview work? Do the interviewers ask a general question and whoever wants to respond first goes?

Thanks. Any other tips about the interview would be very helpful. =)

i've checked out some apts around the school, not too sure what i'll do yet since the school has send out any info, so i cant plan anything.

yea for touro, the most important part like everyone has said is to apply early, most likely you'll get an interview. once you get the interview, be honest, personable, and a team player. like someone has said, a lotta ppl tend to be overly nervous and in my opinion, try too hard, cuz in the end, you come off staged <-- not good.

and yea they ask u a question, everyone take their turn answering. try not to jump at the chance everytime to be the first to answer, but also dont wait til ur the last everytime. try to vary the order YOU answer them. it was kinda nervous for me in the beginning, cuz the first question i had to answer first cuz no one volunteered. but after that, it's pretty smooth sailing. seems like the trend for their acceptances based on the interviews is a likable and genuine personality.

so everyone that's worried and interested, send you apps in in like july, hehe. well octoberish latest. though the competition will be tougher this coming yr because they joined pharmcas. as a side note, if you guys are interested in appying to USC, try to get everything in as soon as pharmcas opens, no joke on this.

good luck again.

steveysmith54 said:
bonnie, what were ur stats?

my stats regarding gpa?...its would be about 3.2 if they used my most current grades since I retook some science class (its over 7 years since I took them). I already have my degree in biochemistry and work in a retail pharmacy chain as a clerk.

phuongle2 said:
Hi,
I applied end of December, do you have any updates on applications received after that? Bonnie, when did you apply, and do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks

I turned in my application in September, but my file weren't complete until beginning of November b/c I had to get my letters of recommendation from my professors in. I interview in Feb. When did you interview?

Just saying "hey" to anyone going to touro this August (2006) and good luck to those that are still in limbo.

Is this the only touro pharmacy thread?

JaYi said:
Just saying "hey" to anyone going to touro this August (2006) and good luck to those that are still in limbo.

Is this the only touro pharmacy thread?

I will be beginning my first year at Touro this August. Will you be starting then also or are you already a student? Any more info on how the first year's class is handling the workload, student life, etc.?

Thanks,

Stephie

i will be starting in august (it will be my first year)... Did you by chance post a roomate request on the MISL ? I thought I saw someone named Stephanie post an ad ?

Anyone have any indepth opinions or reviews on the apartments in Benicia and Vallejo? Ive checked some reviews on apartmentratings.com but they werent that helpful.

Right now im considering waterview in benicia, from the looks of it broadstone is probably the best (its a brand new "luxury" complex.. but its also the most expensive.. )

Either way im going to go up and visit the apartments this memorial weekend.. so if anyone wants i will let you know whats up with some of the apartments after i check them out.

If anyone has already visited/decided on any places I would appreciate some feedback.

thanks-

JaYi said:
i will be starting in august (it will be my first year)... Did you by chance post a roomate request on the MISL ? I thought I saw someone named Stephanie post an ad ?

Anyone have any indepth opinions or reviews on the apartments in Benicia and Vallejo? Ive checked some reviews on apartmentratings.com but they werent that helpful.

Right now im considering waterview in benicia, from the looks of it broadstone is probably the best (its a brand new "luxury" complex.. but its also the most expensive.. )

Either way im going to go up and visit the apartments this memorial weekend.. so if anyone wants i will let you know whats up with some of the apartments after i check them out.

If anyone has already visited/decided on any places I would appreciate some feedback.

thanks-

It's great to meet a new future classmate! No. I didn't post anything about needing a roommate. I will be moving into an apartment with my fiance (if he finds a job there soon). Please let me know anything you find about apartments in Benicia- that's where I'm looking to move also. By the way, are you from the bay area or from farther away? (Sorry I didn't notice on your avatar). I'll let you know if I find anything else out about apartments too.

Stephie

i wouldn't recommend broadstone. it was the first apartment i got to see, even thou it is new and very luxurious, but the area it's built around isn't as nice as the complex. it's on the less safer side of vallejo, when asked about the safety, the renter person just said it improved, but that doesn't tell me whether it's safe or not. also, some ppl might be put off by the fact that there's a cementary about a block away (in between is a retirement home, how ironic eh?). also, the place is pretty expensive, and kinda small.

a lot of ppl raved about benicia, so i guess that should be a good area. to me, the nicer areas of vallejo suits my taste better, cheaper, closer, and it's still decently nice. but ya, happy aprt hunting.

For those of you attending Touro next year and needing to take out private loans, are you going with one of the school's recommended lenders? The first on the list was Wells Fargo, then Wachovia, and so on. I was wondering if you've heard anything about the Wells Fargo one in particular. I know the interest rate doesn't matter for federal loans but I was wondering if there were any "catches" or hidden interest rates on the private loans (I've already visited each of the loan web-sites).
Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate and doesn't mind living with me, a female, and a little dog (a shih tzu) then please pm me.

im glad someone brought up the loan issue.. i myself am very confused...

i have been waiting for the federal grad plus loan to come out ( i believe june 7th? ) but even with that there are a lot of lenders that offer different incentives and i have no idea who is offering the best deal.

has anyone done the research/comparison and decided on a lender or loan type?

thanks for the input on broadstone.. its too pricey for me either way.

and to stephanie: I am originally from Sacramento ( like an hour away from the bay area ) then i went to UCI (southern cali) and in august is back to norcal.

I took out a loan with Wells Fargo the other day to cover my living expenses. I was able to get the loan without a cosigner (which I don't have anyway) and they said the money would come in the form of a refund check to me during orientation this August. I only checked out Wachovia and Wells Fargo and they both seemed pretty similar, but I'd also heard from a couple of people that Wells Frago was a good lender so I decided to go with them. Good Luck!

Thanks!

Right now I think I will choose between Wachovia and T.H.E (northstar)

I'll have to check out wells fargo as well.

Anyone else decide on a lender yet?

about the loans, do we need the school to get back to us before we can do anything? and are the suggested lenders just for private loans or are they also for the stafford loans? i'm totally new w/ this loan thing, so pretty clueless about the whole process...

LiliaKT said:
about the loans, do we need the school to get back to us before we can do anything? and are the suggested lenders just for private loans or are they also for the stafford loans? i'm totally new w/ this loan thing, so pretty clueless about the whole process...

well im no expert but heres what i have found:

you need to first do your fafsa .. which enables you to apply for the Stafford loans both (subsidized and unsubsidized)

Touro should have sent you some form asking if you want to take out the loan or not. (if you selected yes for both the stafford loans you are borrowing from Wachovia because that is who Touro goes through for Stafford loans) so if you want to compare stafford loan lenders check out wachovia's website and you can see what you signed up for.

then the remaining cost.. thats up to you.

right now you can do a private loan or a Graduate plus loan. I think the main difference is the grad plus loan has a fixed interest rate (which might be better in the long run) And its more student friendly. (repayment options, deferment ect... i think i read that if you get the gradplus loan and you die or become a vegtable you dont have to pay the loan back.. vs private loan they are going to get their money one way or another)

Ive done some research and from the looks of it northstar (T.H.E) seems like the best Gradplus loan lender. But there are a lot of other options and lender incentives. I like the northstar lender because its pretty straight forward. And they give you the rebates even if you are late on a payment. Other lenders it seems dont do that. ie: if you are late on your payment you could void your rebates (depending on the lender)

I initially just selected that I would borrow the Stafford through touro. But now I think I am going to do both the stafford and the Plus loan through Northstar.

I would suggest checking out the northstar website they offer alot of information about loans in general so you can make an informed decision.

disclaimer: if what i said above makes no sense or is wrong.. "my-bad" its just what i have gathered so far.

thanks for all the info...

after reading what you said, i looked it up on the touro website, i didn't know you can select your lender for ur stafford loan as well. did i miss that option somehow on the form?? but i guess it's not a big deal, if touro deals with it, less work for me, haha.

LiliaKT said:
thanks for all the info...

after reading what you said, i looked it up on the touro website, i didn't know you can select your lender for ur stafford loan as well. did i miss that option somehow on the form?? but i guess it's not a big deal, if touro deals with it, less work for me, haha.

no you didnt miss the option.. they just didnt put it on the form for some reason.

I could be wrong but from my understanding if you borrow both your Federal loans ( stafford and plus loan ) from one lender you have to consolidate your loan through that lender. So it might be better to get your Stafford from one lender and Plus from another, that way when you want to consolidate the loans you can choose from anyone you want.

(which is why i decided to stay with Wachovia for my Stafford and go with THE for my plus loan)

Has anyone situated their living situation yet?

still looking for apartments... try www.apartments.com, it's pretty helpful. and also read the Touro Med school forum for class of 2010. some ppl on there has done some extensive research u can read up on.

Does anyone know what are class schedule will be like for our first year? I know classes end at noon on Fridays but besides that I don't remember getting anything about times/days etc. I hope we ge something in the mail before orientation- I'm so curious!

Steph

Has Touro been accredited yet? What happens if you attend a school and it's not accredited by the time you graduate? Can someone clarify this accredited/unaccredited thing? Thanks!

I believe that a school gains full accreditation once they have graduated their first class. So, depending on when the first class started at Touro, the year that they graduate is when it should gain its accreditation. They have other established schools (Osteopathic Medicine comes to mind), so if they follow the ACPE guidelines, all should be good. The people graduating from the first class will be able to sit for licensure, as well.

someone i know who goes there says that classes are M,F 9-12pm and T,W,Th 9-4pm

im pretty scared about that 9-4pm and even the 9-12 because i went to UCI (quarter system) and classes there were 50 min. but for the 9-12, i heard u have a lunch break and a "break out" period where you go over the material covered in lecture or work on your projects.

This is back to the student loan topic. I'm sure I want to take out a Graduate Plus loan versus a private loan but I'm having a hard time deciding on a lender... mainly between THE/Northstar and Wachovia. Northstar has a good repayment bonus plan but Wachovia is offering the loan at 7.9% versus Northstar's 8.5% but with no repayment plan bonus. I'm leaning towards the former because I figure interest rates will decrease by the time we graduate in 2010 and I'll be consolidating anyway. Any thoughts on this plan? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

For those that will be attending Touro this Fall, have you guys decided on which apartment/area to live. I have only looked at Blue rock Village Apartment in Vallejo, but since I was in the area briefly, I haven't had a chance to look around. Any recommendation? Any areas I should stay away from? Thanks for any input.

I won't be looking at apts until I fly into CA on 7/19, just looking at recommedations, etc. online until then. What did you think of Blue Rock? Was it in a safe area?

Steph

Stephie said:
I won't be looking at apts until I fly into CA on 7/19, just looking at recommedations, etc. online until then. What did you think of Blue Rock? Was it in a safe area?

Steph

Blue Rock is in the "safe" part of Vallejo and very quiet. But since I didn't have a chance to look at others, there's nothing else to compare to.

janbran said:
Blue Rock is in the "safe" part of Vallejo and very quiet. But since I didn't have a chance to look at others, there's nothing else to compare to.

An aquaintance of my mine who will be a P2 next year says that only Fountain Valley and Blue Rock are safe. I've heard from several people that anything East of the 80 fwy is safest. Although I've personally spoken to the manager at Marina View Apartments (slightly west of the 80 fwy) and she informed me that it's safe in "her" apt complex and that she has break ins only a handful each year.

After extensive researhc, I will be living at Blue Rock.

Hope that helps!

delite310 said:
An aquaintance of my mine who will be a P2 next year says that only Fountain Valley and Blue Rock are safe. I've heard from several people that anything East of the 80 fwy is safest. Although I've personally spoken to the manager at Marina View Apartments (slightly west of the 80 fwy) and she informed me that it's safe in "her" apt complex and that she has break ins only a handful each year.

After extensive researhc, I will be living at Blue Rock.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

thanks for the info. I just PM you.

Does anyone know if the school's schedule (days off, vacations, etc.) is available yet? I need to plan some visits home next year for wedding plans and would like to get things settled.

Stephie said:
Does anyone know if the school's schedule (days off, vacations, etc.) is available yet? I need to plan some visits home next year for wedding plans and would like to get things settled.

an email was sent today...including our books list and calendar :)

i'm sure almost everyone on this thread has already heard the news, but for those that are just browsing, touro just got Candidate status, woohoo!

Does anyone know what banks are in Benicia? I'm planning on moving to Benicia and will need to switch banks because there are no branches of my current bank in California.

Thanks for any help!

Stephie said:
Does anyone know what banks are in Benicia? I'm planning on moving to Benicia and will need to switch banks because there are no branches of my current bank in California.

Thanks for any help!

also, googlemaps really helps! you can enter "banks in Benicia" and it'll locate the various banks, give you the phone numbers and directions to the place.

Thanks guys! I found some places on the web and now I think I'll wait until I get to Ca to see which will be easiest to get to from my apartment. I'm flying out Wed. from NJ! :eek:

Does anyone know of some nice apt complexes in Martinez? I found a lot on the internet but can't distinguish the good from the bad too easily.