TouroCOM-NY Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingN

He's so Harlem.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here you go guys! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, thanks! You're always so helpful :). Now people...start talking!!

On the new website I couldn't find the course descriptions by year - like on the old website where under current students you could click on "First Year..." Does anyone know where we can find course descriptions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
On the new website I couldn't find the course descriptions by year - like on the old website where under current students you could click on "First Year..." Does anyone know where we can find course descriptions? Thanks!

There's some information on course descriptions in the student handbook and the catalog provided on the website. Other than that, I haven't seen anything else..

hey guys...so when is everyone going to start looking for apartments?? i dont want to wait last minute, but im kinda lazy about it at the moment as well.

I've been thinking about starting to look for apartments closer to the school. I live in Queens, so I don't know if I even need to move because the train ride is like half an hour, or even less, but people say that it's best to live as close as possible. I guess I am gonna start looking into places in the upper west side or something like that...I hate the idea of having to move though :(.

apartment hunting has to be one of the most annoying and tedious processes I have ever been through...apartment hunting in new york city is like finding waldo...i think my mind is about to blow from trying to find a good apartment at a good price in a good location...

apartment hunting has to be one of the most annoying and tedious processes I have ever been through...apartment hunting in new york city is like finding waldo...i think my mind is about to blow from trying to find a good apartment at a good price in a good location...

Yeah, it really is very annoying. What areas are you looking into? Are you using craig's list? It's pretty helpful..

Yeah, it really is very annoying. What areas are you looking into? Are you using craig's list? It's pretty helpful..

ive tried to look at craig's list, but in vain. most of those apts i cant even afford. I'm thinking Washington heights area...so far i've heard good things about it. Drawback - not exactly close to school....a couple of train ride stops away...

I am a current Tourocom student and I was just browsing this forum. I'd say don't move if your ride is only about 30 mins. We have classmates doing 45-1.5 hour commutes and they make it work. I'm sure your apt in Queens is much cheaper than something on the UWS (where I live), and with such a short commute it's not worth paying so much more. Just my two cents! :)

And as far as Washington Heights, it can be a "bad" area. It depends on how close you are to Columbia Med center and whether you live alone or with roommates. I haven't lived there, but my boyfriend (current Tourocom student) lived there last year and two of our classmates (a guy and girl) live there now and they all said it can vary tremendously block by block. You can find pretty good deals closer to the school like between 120th and 140th and between about 5th and 8th.

just got accepted and i'm super excited to join you guys in the fall :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the interview I went thr at this school was the worst I had the displeasure of going through, I new my denial was on its way even before I actually got the paperwork in the mail

the interview I went thr at this school was the worst I had the displeasure of going through, I new my denial was on its way even before I actually got the paperwork in the mail
Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

Would some of you please share your decisions as to why you chose to attend TOUROCOM. I just received my acceptance and I'm trying to decide which school to attend. I know that ultimately it's a personal decision (many things to consider). But any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I love the idea of living in NYC and the emphasis on urban medicine. But I have some reservations as well. Ex: new school without any students having done rotations or residency placements.

The amount of debt and board scores does not bother me as much. High cost of living in NYC is expected, and board scores correlate with how well you prepare for them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Would some of you please share your decisions as to why you chose to attend TOUROCOM. I just received my acceptance and I'm trying to decide which school to attend. I know that ultimately it's a personal decision (many things to consider). But any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I love the idea of living in NYC and the emphasis on urban medicine. But I have some reservations as well. Ex: new school without any students having done rotations or residency placements.
Y
The amount of debt and board scores does not bother me as much. High cost of living in NYC is expected, and board scores correlate with how well you prepare for them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

You're right it's mostly personal - its just got to be the right fit for you.

For me TouroCom's mission is very much aligned with my core values and its location is perfect. I'd rather serve in an area where my skills are in high demand. I think that will allows us to take on more responsibility sooner and I feel serving an underserved community makes what we do that much more valuable, meaningful, appreciated.... to me anyway, what I do will mean more than if I were providing healthcare in an already well served area.

Going to school in an underserved area will allow me to participate in outreach programs like Touro's Project Aspire. In my past corporate career I participated in the Junior Achievement Program and the response I got from students I talked to changed my life!!! I'm not sure who got more out of it, me or the students, but it's a big part of the reason I decided to go back and pursue my dreams to become a doctor. I told them "yes you can..," and they told me "so can you.." It was an Amen Corner marathon ;-)...

The fact that the school is new makes it even more exciting for me - I believe we will get to carve our own path and set the precedent.

Anyway, those are some of my very personal reasons, for what it's worth.

Good luck to you wherever you decide to go!!

Hey, was just doing a random read through and saw the link. I've always wondered what the Touro NYC campus was like and what kind of experience you guys were having up there in Harlem.

I am actually from Touro CA...one of the 8 or so students to volunteer to come out to Queens to do 3rd year rotations. I grew up in Cali, but NY is definitely growing on me (manhattan anyway haha).

I have heard that the hospital I'm at is supposed to serve as a big feeder affilliated hospital for all you inaugural year classmen.

Please feel free to IM me about any questions. Feel bad that you guys don't get to have 'big sibs" (class above you for advice/venting etc.) so feel free.

~F

come guys, lets get this thread active and get to know each other before school starts!!!!! TOURO-NY REPRESENT!!!

haha... this tread has been dead for a while. BTW did any body get a bill or any financial aid papers from Touro, because i have not received them yet.

Hey a817,
I haven't received anything as far as financial aid or bills. The last things I received were the schedule and book list.

Just put down the deposit and am finally in!!!!

Did anyone else get really excited looking through the class of 2011's website? I'm glad I have the summer to relax but I can't wait to be a doctor!

hey wasn't someone suppose to set a date in which the class of 2012 was suppose hang out. It seems to me that there are barely anybody from touro on this forum.

Did anyone else get really excited looking through the class of 2011's website? I'm glad I have the summer to relax but I can't wait to be a doctor!

When is everyone going to start buying books? Are we doing any patient interaction first semester? Do we need to buy a stethoscope and scrubs?

hey wasn't someone suppose to set a date in which the class of 2012 was suppose hang out. It seems to me that there are barely anybody from touro on this forum.

When is everyone going to start buying books? Are we doing any patient interaction first semester? Do we need to buy a stethoscope and scrubs?

I've started buying books because I don't want to have to buy all of them at once. I think I'll buy them over the next three months. I don't know about stethoscope or other diagnostic equipment but I did notice that Welch Allyn will be at school during orientation so I'm assuming we can buy stuff then.

I got a facebook invite from Lindsay Mourant (class of 2011) for the evening of June 13th, see below, she said all Touro people and friends are welcome. On the night she said to just show up and say you're with Sam Torbet -- it's $1 drinks night ;o)...

Lindsay invited you to "Mad River Happy Hour!" on Friday, June 13 at 7:00pm.

Event: Mad River Happy Hour!
"celebrate the end of the longest year ever with dollar drinks!"
What: Bar Night
Host: Lindsay (Sam Torbet)
When: Friday, June 13 at 7:00pm
Where: Mad River

To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&eid=20207483708

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Wish I could go, but I won't be there that weekend. Sounds like fun!

Hey guys, I just got accepted off the waitlist!! Super excited to go to Touro. I got the schedule and was wondering what all the abbreviations meant. Does anyone have a list or something?

Hey guys, I just got accepted off the waitlist!! Super excited to go to Touro. I got the schedule and was wondering what all the abbreviations meant. Does anyone have a list or something?

Congrats!!!! Obed sent us an email that included the following:

Abbreviations for Schedule

ANAT – Clinical Anatomy and Embryology
IBT – Introduction to Biochemistry and Tissues
OMM – Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
PD – Physical Diagnosis
PMPH – Preventive Medicine and Public Health
ICM – Introduction to Clinical Medicine
BSFOM – Basic Sciences Foundation for Osteopathic Medicine
Components – Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology and OMM
IMMUNO – Introduction to Immunology and Microbiology
NEURO - Neuroanatomy
PBL - Problem Based Learning

How many credits will I earn per term?
Fall Semester credits/units= 24
Spring Semester credits/units=20.5

Please refer to the catalog on-line for the exact course credits for the Fall/Spring term.
During orientation you will receive further details.

when is everyone going to look for apartments?

when is everyone going to look for apartments?

I will be there Sunday night...and will do most of my looking Monday-Wednesday. At some point, I'm probably going to meet up with some of our 2011 classmates that I know, so anyone else who wants to join me is welcome!

YAY! I can write here now, it's official :) When's everyone moving to the city?

I will be there Sunday night...and will do most of my looking Monday-Wednesday. At some point, I'm probably going to meet up with some of our 2011 classmates that I know, so anyone else who wants to join me is welcome!

hey i am down to hangout. Let me know if anyone is doing anything. I am probably look for apt at the end of next month though

maybe we should start writing here now that we're less than a month away from being med school students! :) I'm so excited.

lol, I got so used to writing in the pre-osteopathic forum that I forgot that I could now write in this one. I'm sooooo excited! :D

lol, I got so used to writing in the pre-osteopathic forum that I forgot that I could now write in this one. I'm sooooo excited! :D

Yea, we are still at page 1 in this thread :eek:!!! . It looks like i am going to Touro, since NYCOM seems very likely to have no waitlist movement at all. Hope to see everyone soon.

Yea, we are still at page 1 in this thread :eek:!!! . It looks like i am going to Touro, since NYCOM seems very likely to have no waitlist movement at all. Hope to see everyone soon.

YAY!! I'm sorry that it doesn't look like you're going to get in where you want, but like with ellinopedo, I'm being selfish and want you at Touro!

I officially set my move-in date today. August 3rd. :woot:

down give up yet, there is still a month left and there should be some movement, did a student on here who posted about a week ago say he was accepted to PCOM and yet KC says no movement on the list, this guy counts as 1

YAY!! I'm sorry that it doesn't look like you're going to get in where you want, but like with ellinopedo, I'm being selfish and want you at Touro!

I officially set my move-in date today. August 3rd. :woot:

Thank You, hope to see you too. I am going to look for apt at the end of this month or maybe beginning of next. Yea i know i am being lazy, but i live in queens anyway :)

I think we are friends on facebook!!!

down give up yet, there is still a month left and there should be some movement, did a student on here who posted about a week ago say he was accepted to PCOM and yet KC says no movement on the list, this guy counts as 1

Thanks, good luck to you to at NYCOM. I have pretty much accepted that i wont get in, and i have move on and start getting ready for Touro. But if I get in at NYCOM, i am sure I can change my plans ;)

u know what I was talking about, a student on here(not on this thread) pulled out of NYCOM bc they were taken off the PCOM wait L so I do not understand why KC said no movement yet,

u know what I was talking about, a student on here(not on this thread) pulled out of NYCOM bc they were taken off the PCOM wait L so I do not understand why KC said no movement yet,

They may be overfilled :(, i think thats the case. I hope its not

Yay! I'm so psyched to be a med student (guess I should change my profile info!). I just wish all my stuff would move itself & everything was finalized for school! Can't wait to meet you all. Is anyone getting together before school starts?

My official move date it August 3rd too!! I can't wait!!

Denver, we will definitely be getting together.... probably every night before school starts! :hardy:

My official move date it August 3rd too!! I can't wait!!

Denver, we will definitely be getting together.... probably every night before school starts! :hardy:

haha go figure my birthday is the day before 1st day of classes (aug 17 :p)

I know how you feel a817, my bday is aug 8, the friday before orientation. :( but whatever atleast the Olympics are on!!

Yo guys, does anyone know if our rotations have been updated/added to yet?? its a pretty short list.

I know how you feel a817, my bday is aug 8, the friday before orientation. :( but whatever atleast the Olympics are on!!

If it makes you feel any better, my bday is May 10, which was always during finals in college and AP exams in high school. That sucked...

If it makes you feel any better, my bday is May 10, which was always during finals in college and AP exams in high school. That sucked...

haha, we are playing a game of whose birthday sucks more... I think you win meg.

I can at least have some fun, before classes start, hopefully i am not hung over on that monday

Yo guys, does anyone know if our rotations have been updated/added to yet?? its a pretty short list.

This is an updated one, i asked obed in mid june and a couple of hospitals were added after my interview like LIJ- Staten island

TOUROCOM
Clinical Rotation/Clerkship Sites
Bronx Lebanon Hospital
Interfaith Medical Center
New Parkway Hospital
North General Hospital
St. John's Episcopal
Staten Island University Hospital
TouroCOM's Family Health Center
Trinitas Hospital
Primary Care Physician's Offices/Clinics

I have an August (the 29th) bday too which normally sucks because I'm always in school. But this year I'm not complaining cause its on a Friday! We are definitely going out since it will be my first bday in NYC! I will help yall celebrate yours even if school is the next day! Posted via Mobile Device