Toxicity of Aluminium in GIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruuu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright everyone, I came across this issue after finding out that GIC is mostly aluminium, while on the other hand recent trends in food production try to reduce aluminium with great effort.

While there basically seems to be safely bond aluminium, I wonder if this is the case for GIC cement fillings in dental restoration as well. Here are some thoughts, hope someone can clarify this.

I came across a Clifford Consulting paper, stating that:
Some dental treatment products, such as certain astringents, do contain aluminum in potentially dangerous or toxic forms. We are concerned about these and will flag them as ‘not well suited’ for aluminum sensitive patients. However, most restoratives such as composites, glass ionomers, ceramics, porcelains, compomers and ceromers which contain aluminum will have them present in the ‘benign’ forms. These forms are not readily dissociable and are well suited for duty in the respective restoratives.
Alright, this makes sense, aluminium bound to calciumaluminofluorosilicate glass at first hand is not exactly toxic, right? (Isn't it dissolved by citric acid though?)

Even though, in dental restoration with Glass Ionomer Cement the CaAlFSi is then brought to reaction with an acidic polymer, quoting wiki:

The acid base setting reaction begins with the mixing of the components. The first phase of the reaction involves dissolution. The acid begins to attach the surface of the glass particles, [...] draw cations out of the glass and dentine. The alkalinity also induces the polymers to dissociate, increasing the viscosity of the aqueous solution.

[...]

Over the next twenty four hours maturation occurs. The less stable calcium polyacrylate chains are progressively replaced by aluminium polyacrylate, allowing the calcium to join the fluoride and phosphate and diffuse into the tooth substrate, forming polysalts, which progressively hydrate to yield a physically stronger matrix.​

Does this mean, that we have "pure" aluminium waiting for the calcium to slowly being replaced by it?
Is this still the "benign" form of aluminium we are talking about, or is it indeed, the toxic one?

Members don't see this ad.