tPA in recurrent TIA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brooklyn523

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question regarding tPA administration in a patient admitted with recurrent TIA's.

Hypothetical scenario:

65 year old man, previously healthy, presents with acute left sided weakness 3 hours prior to presentation that fully resolves upon initial evaluation. Thirty minutes later, he experiences right sided weakness, which again fully resolves within the span of a few minutes. He does not receive tPA. CT and MRI are then obtained and negative for acute stroke, CTA head / neck is unremarkable, and immediate cardiac studies are negative. If the patient again experiences symptoms concerning for stroke within a few hours, he would remain a candidate for tPA on the basis of the no prior history of stroke, correct? That is, the 3-4.5 hour window for tPA administration resets with each TIA if the symptoms fully resolve and / or the MRI is negative?

Also, is there any evidence of increased bleeding risk w/ tPA administration in this scenario?
 
People debate on resetting the clock. If a neurologist cannot identify a deficit after the event, I often count that as a return to baseline. If a family member cannot identify a deficit, I do not. MRI is useful if there is a DWI lesion visible, but if there isn't one visible, it could still be a stroke and should not circumvent any findings on exam which could make them ineligible for tPA. Your story sounds like a classic stuttering lacune, and I've treated them many times once the symptoms return as long as I am confident that there was a true return to baseline within the treatment window.