Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I realize some has already posted a thread about this question, however I'm still having trouble getting the answer algebraically and it's really getting on my nerves :/.

Question: A box of mass m is sitting on an incline of 45 degrees and it requires an applied force F up the incline to get the box to begin to move what is the maximum coefficient of static friction?

a) [sqrt2*F / mg] - 1
b) [sqrt2*F / mg]
c) [sqrt2*F / mg] + 1
d) [2F / mg] - 1

I can get up to all this:

Since the force of friction as well as force of gravity is opposing the movement:

F = mgSin 45 + (mu) mg Cos 45

F = mg/sqrt2 + (mu)mg/sqrt2

mu = (F - mg/sqrt2) * sqrt2/mg

From this point I cannot seem to get the answer (a)...my algebra is not so great so if you could break it down that would be fantastic! Thank you!

Nov 27, 2013
Ahhh was just working through this Q last night.

The set-up got me a little, but since you understand that, the work for the rest is, like you said, all algebra. From your last line:

mu = (F-mg/sqrt2)*sqrt2/(mg) ----> Multiply the sqrt2/(mg) to both terms inside the paranthesis

mu = (F*sqrt2/(mg))-(mg/sqrt2)*(sqrt2/(mg)) -----> the second term reduces to 1

Now you have: mu = (F*sqrt2/(mg)) - 1

Which is ans (a)

Reactions: today15
OP
T
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Appreciate you help! However, I still have a problem in one of those small pesky algebra steps.

This step:
mu = (F-mg/sqrt2)*sqrt2/(mg) ----> Multiply the sqrt2/(mg) to both terms inside the parenthesis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can rewrite (F-mg/sqrt2) to ((F/sqrt2) - (mg/sqrt2)) and then multiplying both terms by (sqrt2/mg) would yield:

(F*sqrt2/sqrt2*mg) - (mg*sqrt2/mg*sqrt2)

which simplifies to:

(F/mg) - 1

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong algebraically, I just don't see it?

Nov 27, 2013
Ok, so the main thing is you can't rewrite (F-mg/sqrt2) to ((F/sqrt2) - (mg/sqrt2))

-Think PEMDAS for order of operations! Paranthesis, Exponents, Mult/Division, Add/Subtraction. Think of the term
(F-mg/sqrt2) as (F) - (mg/sqrt2) because the division of mg/sqrt2 happens before you subtract that quantity from F.

This way you can mult. ((F) - (mg/sqrt2)) * (sqrt2/(mg)) (I'm ALL about dem paranthesis)
and you will come up with F*(sqrt2/(mg)) - (mg/sqrt2)*(sqrt2/(mg)) ---> F(sqrt2/(mg)) - 1

-Aside note: since mg is 2 quantities, sqrt2/mg = (sqrt2/m) * g!!!!! NOT what you want. You need to make sure that you put parths around the mg quantity (this is for more calculation type things) -----> sqrt2/(mg) :)

Hope this clears it up

medickdb

5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Shouldn't this be in the MCAT section?

Reactions: Haxx