TPR Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PicardAndRoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm actually saving EK101 until I have a pretty high proficiency in verbal reading, which I'm training myself on using TPR.

How's the grading scale for TPR?

I *ALWAYS* miss 1 question per passage out of seven.

I can definitely see where you can be "trained" to be a better reader, because it used to take me ~3 minutes to read the passage and I'd get 2-3 wrong every time, now it takes me about ~1min 30s -1min 45s and I miss 1 every time. Sometimes I'll miss 2, but every time I miss 2, it'll even out because I'll get a perfect section within 2 more passages. I've averaged out my performance over many passages, and I missed about 0.9/passage (rounded off to 1)...

How would this translate to a real MCAT Verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this TPRH Verbal workbook? If so, you should do EK first, not the other eat around. TPRH was the best and most like the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this TPRH Verbal workbook? If so, you should do EK first, not the other eat around. TPRH was the best and most like the MCAT.

Yeah, it's TPRH.

What's the standard error per passage?

I'm trying to get to a point where I miss 1 question per 3 passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
? Standard error? You think someone sat down and ran stats on this?

Switch to EK. Save the rest of TPRH for closer to test day.

my n=1 experience was that TPR Verbal was noticeably harder than both aamc practice exams and the actual mcat, so don't beat yourself up too much about your performance on TPR

My experience was that TPRH verbal was the closest thing to the real MCAT. I thought TPRH was a little bit harder than the real thing, but it might have only seemed that way since I was still getting a feel for verbal when I was still doing the TPRH practice passages whereas I was at the peak of my verbal ability by the time I got around to the AAMC FLs.

I scored about the same as you did on TPRH and I got 11 or 13 on all of my AAMC FLs depending on how well I messed with the particular passages. (Never once a 12, which was kind of odd.) I ended up getting an 11 on the real thing. You'll see the same result if you go by the scaling tables for the later FLs: an average of one wrong per passage should translate to a 10 or 11.