How important are non verbal/verbal “small” cues in interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For example,

1) firm handshake
2) remembering interviewers name and thanking them with it at the end of the interview
3) waiting to sit down after the interviewer invites you into the room and says “please sit down” instead of immediately sitting down before hand
4) tucking in the chair to the table after getting up at the end of the interview
5) sitting position (leaning back or completely forward)
6) handshake with dry as opposed to sweaty palms

Just interested to hear if there are any things the interviewer picks up on that’s small and subtle like that (I think I remember someone on SDN saying they take note when the person has dry hands for the handshake in the MMI). I know this may seem neurotic but just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

For example,

1) firm handshake
2) remembering interviewers name and thanking them with it at the end of the interview
3) waiting to sit down after the interviewer invites you into the room and says “please sit down” instead of immediately sitting down before hand
4) tucking in the chair to the table after getting up at the end of the interview
5) sitting position (leaning back or completely forward)

Just interested to hear if there are any things the interviewer picks up on that’s small and subtle like that (I think I remember someone on SDN saying they take note when the person has dry hands for the handshake in the MMI). I know this may seem neurotic but just curious.
I haven’t interviewed medical students, but I worked in professional sales during undergrad before med school, and these are all very important details that I like to be mindful of anytime I’m being interviewed or interviewing others. Also, from your list, I think a good handshake is the most important, it’s a big part of you first impression and I hate when I shake someone’s hand and it’s just like holding cooked spaghetti lol. (Not to say that the other aren’t important too)

Reactions: 1 users
While these little nuances are good to have down, the most important non verbals are the following:

1. Dry, strong handshake
2. Eye contact (not like the insane girlfriend stare, but look directly at the person who is talking and be responsive to their cues.)
3. Posture - Sit up straight, but not so straight that you look stiff. You want to look relaxed. It makes you look like you are comfortable and confident to be in the room. Also when someone else is talking, lean and point your shoulders towards them. It's a sign you are listening.
4. No fidgeting

Other small things that will make you feel confident
1. Smile before walking in!! Your voice tone changes when you are smiling. It improves your mood and warms up your speech. It's crazy the amount of customers I have been able to sweet talk and calm down just because I smile and look happy to see them.
2. Hand movements - I am not saying have your hands all over the place, but use hand gestures as a visual cue for the impact of your story or opinion. Don't be harsh. This takes practice, but when used effectively, you can bring to life your expression and story.
3. Be enthusiastic as you speak. I am not saying to squeal or sound giddy. If you can portray how passionate you are about something, then it cues interviewers on your personality and values. This can be done with a small laugh or smile at appropriate moments. (No joker laugh or sustained smile please, it becomes creepy)

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif

This will be another red tie debate, if not careful.

@spuding102

Here's the most important thing to know about interviewers: they want to know if you are a warm, easygoing person who can contribute diversity to the class. They don't care about buttons, ties, how you sit etc. If you can maintain an honest and engaging conversation, then you have done your part as an interviewee.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Let me give you my professional opinion as an experienced interviewer:

You gotta freaking kidding me. You want to know "How important are non verbal/verbal “small” cues in interviews" as in admitting a candidate? You have analyzed this and have come up a set of factors that you want to know how they go into the analysis of admission? and you say you arent neurotic just curious? Do you think I notice the candidate tucking the chair in? Do you think if I am seeing 10 applicants in a day I will note, remember, or even care if they knew my name? I couldnt tell you if I shook hands with a specific candidate, much less characterized the handshake as if I was testifying in court. And what any of this have to do with being a doctor?

I recall an adcom on here mentioning that for the MMI, dry palms prior to the handshake came off much more confident. Which makes sense since research indicates something on the order of 93% of communication is non verbal. Surely you would notice a limp handshake wouldn’t you?

• Haha
I dont remember whether I shook hands, what the handshake was like, or who the handshake was with. Nor if I did, would it make any difference? I would expect most applicants are nervous so damp hand, light grip wouldnt be the least bit unusual. Many candidates have no idea the protocol of a professional meeting (I mean they are students), I have some who seem perplexed that I am sticking my hand at them. Lastly, do you really think I have time to remember which hand belong to which candidate? Indeed, I have had applicants come in overly confidently as if the interview was pro forma and they already had the acceptance. Do you think a confident handshake helped or hurt them. This whole concept and the level of importance that you are raising it to is just horsesh*t
:angelic::angelic::angelic:

The most important small cue is, of course, the color of your tie

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
My non verbal strategy is seduction.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
It won't hurt an applicant as long as their non-verbal cues don't make me feel uncomfortable (i.e make me think "I can't see my doctor ever doing this"). Limp handshake? Not a deal breaker. No eye contact? I'll make note of that. (I also make note of intense prolonged stares)

Reactions: 4 users
The most important small cue is, of course, the color of your tie
I keep getting told that my red/maroon tie when pairs with a pinstripe suit is a power move. So YOLO.

In seriousness/response the question,

1) I always give a handshake in response to their handshake. I am a firm handshake guy, but if Dr. Radiology has a dead fish for a hand she will just think I am squeezing her.

2) I read their name on paper once and they said their name once 30-60 minutes ago - I am NOT gonna remember it. “Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity, it was nice to meet/chat with you” and move on has been my go-to

3) No one has invited me to sit down. We walk into the room, there are two chairs (never behind a desk) the Interviewer starts sitting in one chair, I am a free thinking adult and assume that other chair is for me rather than just stand there waiting to be told what to do.

4) Every interview I have had has been open - no table or chair, just two people taking. But do people only push in their chairs in interviews? Always push in your chair, always turn off the lights if you are the last one leaving the room...that is just kindergarten level manners....

5) I can dig the no slouching, but you also don’t want to look like a forced erect pencil. So far as leaning forward, I do this if what they are telling me is interesting...almost all of the interviewers lean in when I am talking and say “fascinating” all that junk so...gonna say no to leaning in mattering.

6) Wet handshakes can be awkward, always try to lightly rub your hand inside your pocket before entering. But that won’t change their hand status...and you cannot control your own physiology.

Welp, I just put more effort into this reply than I thought I would but that basically summarizes my entire experience on SDN so I hope this was thorough enough.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have raynaud's syndrome, which means that each time no matter how much I rub my palm against my jackets, my hands get icy cold and wet. I just smile and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
These things all matter a little. After all, you are trying to make a positive impression. But I would imagine your interview answers and your personality matter more. You need to come across as someone who is compassionate and committed to a career in medicine, not someone who has too much of an ego or is prestige hunting. If I were you, I would focus more on the bigger picture, rather than these minute details.

if you just act like a normal human being you shouldn't have to worry lol

I agree completely. Thing is, that isn’t as common as I expected it to be from the past 12 interviews I have attended. Of course, most people are normal but not always.

• Haha
I agree completely. Thing is, that isn’t as common as I expected it to be from the past 12 interviews I have attended. Of course, most people are normal but not always.
I think the very act of going out of your way to spend mental energy contemplating things like the quality of handshake and pushing in the chair makes one immediately more prone to not acting like a normal person.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I think the very act of going out of your way to spend mental energy contemplating things like the quality of handshake and pushing in the chair makes one immediately more prone to not acting like a normal person.

If you haven’t read how to win friends and influence people by dale carnegie, I think you should.

To answer your question (thread title), I would say, about.. 17.53% overall. But then again, I haven’t attended 12 interviews so I wouldn’t know.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If you haven’t read how to win friends and influence people by dale carnegie, I think you should.
Lol im literally reading it right now!

But I meant moreso obsessing over those things. Like, thinking to yourself, "man I better get this handshake right" is more likely going to cause you to fumble the shake.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol im literally reading it right now!

But I meant moreso obsessing over those things. Like, thinking to yourself, "man I better get this handshake right" is more likely going to cause you to fumble the shake.

Forsure. I have joked with friends though that the best way to practice for interviews is going out to a bar in a major city, and talking to random people for a couple of hours. It develops the ability to banter and read social cues. These things have to look and feel natural in my opinion. I think if someone isn’t like this and they try to be on interview day, they will sense something is off

Forsure. I have joked with friends though that the best way to practice for interviews is going out to a bar in a major city, and talking to random people for a couple of hours. It develops the ability to banter and read social cues. These things have to look and feel natural in my opinion. I think if someone isn’t like this and they try to be on interview day, they will sense something is off
yessss I agree completely. I have mentioned it before but someone on here joked about using tinder/bumble for exactly that reason. Has worked like a charm.

None of these tips and tricks and other interview rules seem nearly as important as being a friendly person who can talk naturally and comfortably with strangers. My $0.02

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just don’t call middle aged female faculty members by their first names. “Thank you, Elizabeth.” is going to get you fast tracked to the waitlist.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Just don’t call middle aged female faculty members by their first names. “Thank you, Elizabeth.” is going to get you fast tracked to the waitlist.
What if we have a really great interview and I go with just Lizzy?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
What if we have a really great interview and I go with just Lizzy?
Rejected!
What if they introduce themselves to you using their first name?

Go with "doctor" and you can't go wrong. And if they introduce themselves with first and last name that isn't an invitation to call them by the first name.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Rejected!

Go with "doctor" and you can't go wrong. And if they introduce themselves with first and last name that isn't an invitation to call them by the first name.

What if its a student and they introduce themselves by their first name/tell you "you can call me my first name". I tend to always go with Mr. or Ms.

• Wow
What if its a student and they introduce themselves by their first name/tell you "you can call me my first name". I tend to always go with Mr. or Ms.
In this case I go by first name. They're supposed to be your peers and even in a student interviewing capacity, they are looking to see if they can see you as one of their peers.

Reactions: 2 users
My remark was specific to people old enough to be your mother, and in faculty positions, not medical students. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that an applicant called an Associate Dean by her first name. It seems to happen to women more than men.

I dont remember whether I shook hands, what the handshake was like, or who the handshake was with. Nor if I did, would it make any difference?

If there was something gross on their hands or their hands were smelly, I'm thinking it would. :p

• Wow
I recall an adcom on here mentioning that for the MMI, dry palms prior to the handshake came off much more confident. Which makes sense since research indicates something on the order of 93% of communication is non verbal. Surely you would notice a limp handshake wouldn’t you?
Some people may have sweaty palms just because they are hot in the suit. The best advice I received from an an adcom was "Don't be too weird." He went on about how a candidate that looked great on paper blew the interview by giving a long spiel on how much he liked to sharpen knives and how sharpening knives will make him a good doctor. This weird comment stuck with the adcom and they did not admit the candidate and subsequently informed us all to not be too weird during an interview. lol.

My remark was specific to people old enough to be your mother, and in faculty positions, not medical students. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that an applicant called an Associate Dean by her first name. It seems to happen to women more than men.
Is the correct way to address is "Dear Dean xyz*" or if they are a Dr. is it best to say Dr. xyz*?

*= last name

Is the correct way to address is "Dear Dean xyz*" or if they are a Dr. is it best to say Dr. xyz*?

*= last name

Given that this thread started by being about interviews, I don't believe we'd address a person face-to-face by calling them "Dear". You can always use Doctor Lastname or if the person has been introduced as a dean, Dean Lastname. Most deans will not be offended if called "doctor" and most non-doctors won't be offended by being addressed as Doctor Lastname.

Given that this thread started by being about interviews, I don't believe we'd address a person face-to-face by calling them "Dear". You can always use Doctor Lastname or if the person has been introduced as a dean, Dean Lastname. Most deans will not be offended if called "doctor" and most non-doctors won't be offended by being addressed as Doctor Lastname.
Haha for some reason i framed it for thank you letters. I wont say dear in real life i promise lol! Thanks LM

Is kissing up okay then?:vamp::p
"You're the dean? I thought you were a medical student because you look so young."

(I'm clearly kidding.)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Is kissing up okay then?:vamp::p
"You're the dean? I thought you were a medical student because you look so young."

(I'm clearly kidding.)
I went to shake the hand of the secretary that called me back to bring me to the interviewers office because I assumed older woman = my interviewer. 10/10 would not do again.

I went to shake the hand of the secretary that called me back to bring me to the interviewers office because I assumed older woman = my interviewer. 10/10 would not do again.

One of my kids went to an engagement party in a mansion (grandparents of the groom) and my kid thanked the maid who answered the door for the invitation! It happens. No harm.

• Haha
What’s the consensus on calling people ma’am and sir? They’re terms of respect and used commonly where I’m from, but I’ve had non-Southern adults get slightly offended and/or assume it was a jab at their age.

If you are from the South, it will be seen as a cultural thing and somewhat charming. Ditto if you are a member of the military or a veteran. We had a former Dean of Admissions (a lady of a certain age) who was alway tickled by it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I was brought up to believe there was no higher title than Ma'am. The few times I was chastised for this, I mentioned my upbringing and it was my "get out of jail free card".

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I was brought up to believe there was no higher title than Ma'am. The few times I was chastised for this, I mentioned my upbringing and it was my "get out of jail free card".
What about "I was brought up using first names, as I was told there is no higher title than the name their parents bestowed upon them"? Get into jail free card?

• Haha
What’s the consensus on calling people ma’am and sir? They’re terms of respect and used commonly where I’m from, but I’ve had non-Southern adults get slightly offended and/or assume it was a jab at their age.

I did read a yelp review the other day that the person gave the restaurant 2 stars because they called him sir... smh

• Wow