TPRH Verbal: Difference between practice passages and exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a known difference in difficulty between between the practice passages in TPRH Verbal and the following practice exams? I've done pretty well on most of the practice passages (probably somewhere in the 10 range), but the last few practice passages and first practice exam seem a lot more difficult and I did absolutely awful. The only reason I'm concerned is because up until this point I've been improving my strategy and have scored in the 10 range consistently on both EK101 and TPRH, so the recent scores don't seem like they should represent my actual abilities.
 
seems like you answered your own question in your post.

Yeah, but I didn't know if there was anyone else that had gone through TRPH and felt the same way. It's just discouraging going from improving to acceptable scores one day and then the next completely tanking. I didn't really change anything I've been doing so I'm hoping it's a reflection of the material. Comments?
 
I noticed the same thing- i got murdered on the last 6 or so practice passages after consistently getting 1-2 wrong per passage. I think there are harder and easier passages, which is probably why it doesn't provide a grading scale.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank goodness it's not just me. I started feeling good about myself and then I got to the last few passages and got owned. The passages were difficult to understand, and the questions and answer choices themselves were so long that I could barely even read through them in 8 minutes, let alone answer them correctly....
 
Is there a known difference in difficulty between between the practice passages in TPRH Verbal and the following practice exams? I've done pretty well on most of the practice passages (probably somewhere in the 10 range), but the last few practice passages and first practice exam seem a lot more difficult and I did absolutely awful. The only reason I'm concerned is because up until this point I've been improving my strategy and have scored in the 10 range consistently on both EK101 and TPRH, so the recent scores don't seem like they should represent my actual abilities.


I actually thought the exact opposite. The only passages I was ever able to do well were the ones in the full length practice exams.
 
I feel like their verbal is not the most consistent, but I heard it's not the worst out there. Personally, I'm trying to finish all my PR VR passages before the month before my mcat, and then at that time I'm switching completely to my amcas workbook and examcrackers material. EK and amcas are more true to the actual verbal section of the mcat.

I'm not a good judge for the verbal section, but I've noticed that the BioSci/PhySci sections of PR practice tests are much easier than the PR practice problems/passages from the science workbook and respective books. So, I would sway towards agreeing with the above post.
 
I am finding PR verbal to be a killer I have finally been getting 8 or 9 on EK But I found PR verbal ( I am doing the practice passages that are access online when you buy their verbal review book) to be a killer, some of them I got a 100 but that's is only 3 out of 12 most are 57 and some are even below that.
 
I think TPRH is better for learning the comprehend the passages. The questions may be easier but on the AAMC practice tests the passages are much more detailed, wordy and convoluted than any EK 101 passage. I also think that there can be good days and bad days when it comes to verbal. I would equate it to a good sports practice vs. one that just isn't as good as it normally is. I dropped EK 101 because the passages weren't hard enough, when I got to AAMC tests I was taken back by the complexity of the wording.
 
It took me a while to get used to it at first (I would get 2-5 wrong on the pre passages) but by the time I got to the real passages and took 7 passages at a time or 40?s at a time I would get 32-33/40