TPRH Verbal Question Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balopathic45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
MmpvNwV.png

For this question, the correct answer is C. The reason why I didn't choose C is because the passage specifically said, "The first European school of thought to assume that the Universe is natural and explicable by rational inquiry was that of the Ionian nature-philosophers of Asia Minor." I was under the impression that I simply couldn't assume they were just the first if it specifically mentioned in the passage that they were the first EUROPEANS. Is it wrong to think like this?

The choice I picked, D, is wrong because the passage "never mentioned it was commonplace" but I felt like it was implied because the passage talked about how the lay people were more religious while the philosphers tended to give rational explanations.

For reference, this is Passage 7 page 14 in the TPRH workbook.

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I see what you are saying but the ionian philosophers were the first known philosophers to explain the natural world rationally, in any part of the world. The sentence saying they were the first Europeans might be poorly worded, but was probably referencing just that they were Europeans, not that they were later than philosophers outside of europe.