TPR's MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is comparing TPR VR And Writing Review to the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

So I've got a 2006 TPRH Verbal Workbook, and I just read in SN2ed's thread that the TPR MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review has about 26 passages in it. He also mentions that the passages may be the same as the ones in the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

Does anyone know if they are the same passages? I'm considering buying the TPR VR & WR book for more VR practice, but I don't want to end up having two books with the same passages in them.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would also like to know I ended up buying the review instead of the workbook.

How many passages are in it? Maybe we can work together and compare what passages we both have (I have the workbook)

How many passages are in it? Maybe we can work together and compare what passages we both have (I have the workbook)

Wow after skimming through it's really more explanation and strategy than anything. I counted about 3 sample passages in total. The rest of the book focuses on the Writing Sample. Not sure if I should even bother with this book and just stick to the EK.

Wow after skimming through it's really more explanation and strategy than anything. I counted about 3 sample passages in total. The rest of the book focuses on the Writing Sample. Not sure if I should even bother with this book and just stick to the EK.

That sucks. Definitely get the TPRH VW. I think it has something like 70 passages.

Huh. I thought it had about 26 passages.

Unless I'm missing something I got the Hyperlearning MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review 2009 version. I bet the tips are good but there is a lack of passages. If anyone else can chime in? Let me know if I am missing anything.

Unless I'm missing something I got the Hyperlearning MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review 2009 version. I bet the tips are good but there is a lack of passages. If anyone else can chime in? Let me know if I am missing anything.

Oh you're talking about the course book. Yeah, that one doesn't have many passages because TPRH put them all in the workbook. The one I'm talking about (and I believe MedPR as well) is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Reason...7961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325557819&sr=8-1

Yea that's the one I'm talking about. Anyone have it?

Ok I also have the EK MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Mathematical Techniques 7th Ed....It has only 7 passages so I wonder if the one SN2 put up has more? Either way I got hustled for paying $65 for the content review which I will most likely never use. Some of the members on this board much have no integrity.

The ones SN2ed recommends have 101 (EK Verbal 101) and ~70 (TPRH VW) each.

Ok I also have the EK MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Mathematical Techniques 7th Ed....It has only 7 passages so I wonder if the one SN2 put up has more? Either way I got hustled for paying $65 for the content review which I will most likely never use. Some of the members on this board much have no integrity.

i looked at mine.. and counted it has about 10ish the rest is writing review there are like 5/6 chapters on verbal and at the end they have 2 practice passages so its about ~10-12.

Did this problem ever get solved? Does the MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review have the same passages as TPRH Verbal?

Did this problem ever get solved? Does the MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review have the same passages as TPRH Verbal?[/QUOTE]

No..The VR & Writing Review does not have that many passages (probably 8 max); it is all strategy...It does not worth the money IMO even it is somewhat cheap (15-20 bucks in amazon). The TPRH Verbal Workbook has 40 passages plus 4 verbal FL. That one is somewhat expensive ($70+) and it's worth the money IMO.

Just to try and clear this up....I have right in front of me, the 2012 edition of TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review, which contains exactly 18 passages (2 per chapter, for 9 chapters). The original question was if any of them were recycled in the TPRH Verbal Workbook. I can't answer that for sure because I haven't done any of them yet, but I am guessing they would not, since the class recommends reading the chap in the book, taking the 2 passages at the end, then doing passages in the workbook for extra practice. It doesn't make sense to recycle passages when the purpose of the TPRH VW is for extra practice.

Just to try and clear this up....I have right in front of me, the 2012 edition of TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review, which contains exactly 18 passages (2 per chapter, for 9 chapters). The original question was if any of them were recycled in the TPRH Verbal Workbook. I can't answer that for sure because I haven't done any of them yet, but I am guessing they would not, since the class recommends reading the chap in the book, taking the 2 passages at the end, then doing passages in the workbook for extra practice. It doesn't make sense to recycle passages when the purpose of the TPRH VW is for extra practice.

If you want, we can always compare to make sure, although your reasoning does make sense. Are the passages any good?

If you want, we can always compare to make sure, although your reasoning does make sense. Are the passages any good?

Like I said, I haven't started taking verbal passages yet since I'm so far out from test day so I don't know how the are. I would imagine that they are comparable to the workbook though....but I could be wrong. If you want, I can let you know when I do them, but if you don't already have the verbal review book I wouldn't recommend buying it just for those 18 passages.

Like I said, I haven't started taking verbal passages yet since I'm so far out from test day so I don't know how the are. I would imagine that they are comparable to the workbook though....but I could be wrong. If you want, I can let you know when I do them, but if you don't already have the verbal review book I wouldn't recommend buying it just for those 18 passages.

Alright cool, thanks for the advice bro.