Traditional masters in a discipline vs SMP, part 657542 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UGAChemDawg

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One reason that I've heard that medical schools prefer special masters programs over traditional masters in things like biochemistry or genetics is that presumably graduate school GPAs are inflated big time, so it really doesn't give admissions committees a good basis for comparisson if you didn't do well in undergrad and then suddenly got a 4.0 in an organic chemistry masters degree program. That being said, the research opportunities in a traditional masters program are probably much greater than those in an SMP, and it's usually far less expensive. Personally, I will be doing a traditional masters because it ties in with my second career choice goals if I don't get into med school.

Can anyone confirm or deny the grad school gpa inflation phenomenon?