Traditional volunteering or Americorps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PetitAllegro

on the way
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(I wasn't sure whether this would be more appropriate for pre-allo or post-bacc, but decided to put it here since I'm going the post-bacc route.)

Brief summary of my situation: I'll be graduating from undergrad June 2011 (without having taken the basic sciences). Because of this I won't be able to enter the spring/summer start post-baccs that year, most of which seem to start in mid-May. I'm fairly set on the one-year summer start programs, the timing seems to make the most sense to me.

So: originally I had planned to spend the year prior to entering a post-bacc (~May 2012) in some kind of Americorps program focusing on health. I've wanted to do this for some time, and definitely not just to pad my resume. But now I'm wondering if it would look better to stick with the more traditional volunteering activities - hospital work, etc - so that I'll have more hours under my belt? If I go with an Americorps program, I'll have had about a year of traditional volunteering total, whereas if I don't I'll have about two years by the time I enter a post-bacc.

Any thoughts, comments, advice? Am I being way too neurotic about this whole thing?
 
Americorps sounds good, Id want to make sure that you could get away for Interviews tho!
(I wasn't sure whether this would be more appropriate for pre-allo or post-bacc, but decided to put it here since I'm going the post-bacc route.)

Brief summary of my situation: I'll be graduating from undergrad June 2011 (without having taken the basic sciences). Because of this I won't be able to enter the spring/summer start post-baccs that year, most of which seem to start in mid-May. I'm fairly set on the one-year summer start programs, the timing seems to make the most sense to me.

So: originally I had planned to spend the year prior to entering a post-bacc (~May 2012) in some kind of Americorps program focusing on health. I've wanted to do this for some time, and definitely not just to pad my resume. But now I'm wondering if it would look better to stick with the more traditional volunteering activities - hospital work, etc - so that I'll have more hours under my belt? If I go with an Americorps program, I'll have had about a year of traditional volunteering total, whereas if I don't I'll have about two years by the time I enter a post-bacc.

Any thoughts, comments, advice? Am I being way too neurotic about this whole thing?
 
Rather than getting a job, many people are choosing an alternate route for a long time. Volunteering at Americorps, Peace Corps or Teach for America volunteer can be a fantastic way to spend a couple of years. why never complete your own enjoy and have a take a look for each of our webpage? Volunteers are “not paid” not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless“. Volunteering can be a great way to build your resume and connections for a few years, while doing good for the community.