Traffic Guidelines question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm just trying to understand the DO Traffic Guidelines.

This is what I copied/pasted from the official Osteo Med College Info Book
Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be asked to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
• After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

So is it correct to interpret these deadlines (i.e.Dec 14, 30 days, 14 days, etc) as the expiration dates for your admission offers? So for example, if I get into two schools (offer 1 & 2) before Nov 15, I have until Dec 14 to make my decision to pay the deposit for offer 1 or offer 2 or both right? So really, I don't have to make any commitments (money or otherwise) before Dec 14 correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are only guidelines and not rules. Schools can do whatever they please when it comes to paying your deposit.

Hi, so I'm just trying to understand the DO Traffic Guidelines.

This is what I copied/pasted from the official Osteo Med College Info Book
Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be asked to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
• After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

So is it correct to interpret these deadlines (i.e.Dec 14, 30 days, 14 days, etc) as the expiration dates for your admission offers? So for example, if I get into two schools (offer 1 & 2) before Nov 15, I have until Dec 14 to make my decision to pay the deposit for offer 1 or offer 2 or both right? So really, I don't have to make any commitments (money or otherwise) before Dec 14 correct?

As said above schools can do whatever they want, but most do follow the deadlines. Some keep your deposit and some I've heard don't if you go elsewhere. You could in theory pay a dozen deposits but that would be dumb.

All schools are potentially notified in the spring if you've accepted other spots and they can if they want withdraw offers in 30-45 days if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are only guidelines and not rules. Schools can do whatever they please when it comes to paying your deposit.
But for the schools that do follow the guidelines, my understanding is correct(specific questions in OP)?

As said above schools can do whatever they want, but most do follow the deadlines. Some keep your deposit and some I've heard don't if you go elsewhere. You could in theory pay a dozen deposits but that would be dumb.

All schools are potentially notified in the spring if you've accepted other spots and they can if they want withdraw offers in 30-45 days if I remember correctly.
For the schools that do follow the guidelines, my understanding is correct (specific questions in OP)?

Yes, you have until the deposit date to figure out what you want to do. If you don't have the money, you can contact the school and work out a plan with them, but if you are just trying to make a decision, then you have until the deposit deadline to choose a school.