Traffic Violation .. Should I tell my medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prideisthedevil

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having a major meltdown and am looking for advice. I got into a fender bender last week, with no police reported. However, the lady I rear ended is claiming fraudulent things so I went ahead and filed an online police report today about the incident. I am not sure if I am going to get a ticket or a citation because I rear ended her car but my question is, is should I report this to the medical school I plan on attending if I get the ticket/traffic violation? I was reading online and any traffic violation in Ohio is a minor misdemeanor. I don't want this to be an issue when I get background checked before M1. Please let me know :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy rules in Ohio. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first nor the last and I would wager that it is not the kind of thing that gets people kicked out of med school and it is not likely to derail an admission decision. I think you'll be okay if you have to report it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
crazy rules in Ohio. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first nor the last and I would wager that it is not the kind of thing that gets people kicked out of med school and it is not likely to derail an admission decision. I think you'll be okay if you have to report it.
Thank you so much, I will keep you guys updated on this thread ... and seek advice if needed

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Word of warning for anybody not just applicants but always file a police report as soon as possible. Some states have limits on the time you can report and without a police report there is no way to stop the other person from saying that you hit them and sped off, for example. Take pictures of damage, insurance, and licenses as proof.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Word of warning for anybody not just applicants but always file a police report as soon as possible. Some states have limits on the time you can report and without a police report there is no way to stop the other person from saying that you hit them and sped off, for example. Take pictures of damage, insurance, and licenses as proof.
Absolutely, especially when the other person notices you’re a naive 23 year old. Lesson learned the hard way :(

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I do not think this traffic violation will show admissions that you are unfit for medical school. I believe as long as you explain yourself well, it's a traffic accident that could happen to anyone at any time by zoning out even a little on the road, etc. so you should be relatively fine in the application process. Just be honest and forward, acknowledge the mistake and tragedy, and you will be fine.

This is very different from other misdemeanors or convictions such as assault/battery or theft charge, which questions a person's character, morality, and integrity, which are other criminal charges that could result in an end of any medical career endeavors.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I do not think this traffic violation will show admissions that you are unfit for medical school. I believe as long as you explain yourself well, it's a traffic accident that could happen to anyone at any time by zoning out even a little on the road, etc. so you should be relatively fine in the application process. Just be honest and forward, acknowledge the mistake and tragedy, and you will be fine.

This is very different from other misdemeanors or convictions such as assault/battery or theft charge, which questions a person's character, morality, and integrity, which are other criminal charges that could result in an end of any medical career endeavors.
Fortunately, I have been accepted to medical school. If I do end up getting a ticket, should I email or call my school to acknowledge my traffic violation? My certiphi was completed Jan 1st, and I have never been in an accident or had prior tickets. I just don’t want the school to be alarmed when they do a background check on me before M1 starts and see this.

Fortunately, I have been accepted to medical school. If I do end up getting a ticket, should I email or call my school to acknowledge my traffic violation? My certiphi was completed Jan 1st, and I have never been in an accident or had prior tickets. I just don’t want the school to be alarmed when they do a background check on me before M1 starts and see this.
I would disclose it. Nondisclosure of anything left your record and with a simple background check, they could find out and rescind your acceptance for withholding that information from them. I would also ask the advisors/experts here about this.

I would disclose it. Nondisclosure of anything left your record and with a simple background check, they could find out and rescind your acceptance for withholding that information from them. I would also ask the advisors/experts here about this.
Thank you so much 😊

I guess I'll just wait until/unless I get a traffic violation?
Technically you would want to know the findings from the police report and whether you would get charged (and the class of misdemeanor). I don't expect charges to appear on background checks... just judicial resolutions. But tell your school in case you have to deal with false charges or conclusions.

Technically you would want to know the findings from the police report and whether you would get charged (and the class of misdemeanor). I don't expect charges to appear on background checks... just judicial resolutions. But tell your school in case you have to deal with false charges or conclusions.
So initially there was no police report until I filed one yesterday, 6 days after the fender bender. I am not sure what will happen after this, should I notify my school ahead of time and let them know the circumstances of the fender bender?

So initially there was no police report until I filed one yesterday, 6 days after the fender bender. I am not sure what will happen after this, should I notify my school ahead of time and let them know the circumstances of the fender bender?
Student affairs hates (though it expects) surprises. It won't hurt you to get assurance this isn't a big deal.

Reactions: 2 users