train in the US, work in the UK - possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll1002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Right....I'm graduating this year from a British university. I'll be working here at the very least for 2 years, hence will complete the F1 and F2 years, and will be registered with the GMC (if all goes well!). I'm planning to emigrate to the US, and am currently trying to understand the whole USMLE, residency and visa stuff.

Say I'm successful in this, and manage to complete my residency in the US. Does anyone know if at some point in my life I would like to return to the UK to work, will my training in the US be recognised, or do I start all over again? Low probability of this occurring (the retrograde move back to UK I mean) but I can't rule it out, still have family and friends in the UK afterall. Which is why I would like to know all possible consequences before making the big leap to the US. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Right....I'm graduating this year from a British university. I'll be working here at the very least for 2 years, hence will complete the F1 and F2 years, and will be registered with the GMC (if all goes well!). I'm planning to emigrate to the US, and am currently trying to understand the whole USMLE, residency and visa stuff.

Say I'm successful in this, and manage to complete my residency in the US. Does anyone know if at some point in my life I would like to return to the UK to work, will my training in the US be recognised, or do I start all over again? Low probability of this occurring (the retrograde move back to UK I mean) but I can't rule it out, still have family and friends in the UK afterall. Which is why I would like to know all possible consequences before making the big leap to the US. Thanks.

Which specialty are you interested in? The relevant royal college will be able to advise. I know that it can be done in O&G. I am in a similar position to yourself. It is my current intention to keep up-to-date with RCOG's syllabus, and to liaise with the college as appropriate.

Good luck!

Also, check with the GMC. It can be done, but the above poster is right in that it would be looked more favorably upon or less favorably upon depending on specialty. It'll be easier after your foundation years because then you would already possess full GMC registration. You may have to complete additional years of training, but how many years depends what training you've done in the US (ie. just residency, or residency + fellowship) and what outside experiences +/- research you have.