training of neurologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeanWormer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how 'gruelin" is a neuro res. interms of hours and intensity over 3 years compared to psych, medicine, FP, rads, PMR etc?

Members don't see this ad.

how 'gruelin" is a neuro res. interms of hours and intensity over 3 years compared to psych, medicine, FP, rads, PMR etc?

It is institution specific.

The average number of hours I will work as a PGY-2 per week is 70. This will improve as time progresses.

I am currently working 80 per week as an Internal Medicine PGY-1.

By comparison, I worked between 100 and 120 per week as a fourth year medical student for two straight months of Neurosurgery.

Please check FRIEDA for different school's Neuro, IM, FP, Rads etc hours. They are individually posted.

In all honesty, most Radiology residents I have met keep very nice hours (less than 40 per week).

My ranking in terms of "gruelishness":
(BTW, keep in mind that only IM and FP are 3 years -- the rest are four or five)

1. Any surgical specialty except ophtho
(Lets be honest, nothing sucks in terms of hours like surgery)

2. Medicine
(Endless scut, endless ER, endless admissions, etc)

3. Neuro
(Kinda depends where you go, but can be VERY ER and ICU intensive in some places, with heavy inpatient load -- actually worse than IM in some programs)

4. Ophtho
(Semi-medicine, semi-surgery, not as bad as either, not much that can't wait until the morning)

5. FP
(Medicine Lite)

6. Rads
(Sure, they CAN have bad call nights during residency, but generally not too stressful)

7. Psych
(Lots of "team" work in inpatient with the doc being the manager -- social workers, nurses, etc do much of the patient eval and care)

8. PMR
(Similar to psych, seems like therapists do all the work; I still don't really know what a PMR physician really does . . .)

9. Derm
(Once you get quick with your can of nitro and your shave razor, the day flies by . . .)
642. Path.
(Just try to find a path resident some time. None of them even carry pagers except the one doing frozens).

Let the flaming begin . . . :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
My ranking in terms of "gruelishness":
(BTW, keep in mind that only IM and FP are 3 years -- the rest are four or five)

1. Any surgical specialty except ophtho
(Lets be honest, nothing sucks in terms of hours like surgery)

2. Medicine
(Endless scut, endless ER, endless admissions, etc)

3. Neuro
(Kinda depends where you go, but can be VERY ER and ICU intensive in some places, with heavy inpatient load -- actually worse than IM in some programs)

4. Ophtho
(Semi-medicine, semi-surgery, not as bad as either, not much that can't wait until the morning)

5. FP
(Medicine Lite)

6. Rads
(Sure, they CAN have bad call nights during residency, but generally not too stressful)

7. Psych
(Lots of "team" work in inpatient with the doc being the manager -- social workers, nurses, etc do much of the patient eval and care)

8. PMR
(Similar to psych, seems like therapists do all the work; I still don't really know what a PMR physician really does . . .)

9. Derm
(Once you get quick with your can of nitro and your shave razor, the day flies by . . .)
642. Path.
(Just try to find a path resident some time. None of them even carry pagers except the one doing frozens).

Let the flaming begin . . . :laugh:

why? what you said was a perfect answer.:thumbup:

Generally speaking, 'neurologist's ranking is pretty good. But often it's really program dependent. Having experienced major medical center neurology vs. VA neurology, I can say that neuro can be very grueling or not at all, depending on how 'inpatient' the workload is. If you are thinking neuro, you should specifically ask about inpatient load and outpatient exposure when interviewing.

Obviously private practice is mostly outpatient. However, many programs are inpatient-heavy, because academic neurologists have research esponsibilities and they rely on residents to share the inpatient load, and not as much the outpatient load (residents typically slow down outpatient clinic).

Nonetheless, if you know what you love, you should do that, even if it means 20+ more hours a week.

8. PMR

1. Non-surgical Orthopaedics (60% of practicing Physiatrists)/Spine clinic, sports med, EMG, musculoskeletal ultrasound,
interventional pain management (Intrathecal pumps, Spinal Cord stimulators, vertebroplasty, percutaneous discectomies, etc.)

2. Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain injury, Peds (CP, etc.), Amputee care, etc.