transcript notation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badapplestix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You will enter your grades on AMCAS and designate what type of course they were. You must then send an official transcript directly from your registrar to AMCAS who verifies the grades in a process that takes a few weeks...once accpeted most med schools have you send another official transcript from your registrar to that school to confirm that prerequisites were completed and a degree was obtained.

Members don't see this ad :)
extracurriculars are by definition "outside of your academic work." thus, most won't appear on your transcript, unless you're in an ensemble or are taking PE or something.

just describe your ECs in the EC section of AMCAS and that should be sufficient.

No. You will enter your grades on AMCAS and designate what type of course they were. You must then send an official transcript directly from your registrar to AMCAS who verifies the grades in a process that takes a few weeks...once accpeted most med schools have you send another official transcript from your registrar to that school to confirm that prerequisites were completed and a degree was obtained.
So will they (AMCAS and TMDSAS) correct any mis/non-designated classes? Like, I took a behavioral neuroscience class (it's under its own heading of NSC outside of the BIOL dept) that my advisers say won't count as a science class. Should I bother marking it as one on the app or just leave it off? Will they "correct" it either way?

So will they (AMCAS and TMDSAS) correct any mis/non-designated classes? Like, I took a behavioral neuroscience class (it's under its own heading of NSC outside of the BIOL dept) that my advisers say won't count as a science class. Should I bother marking it as one on the app or just leave it off? Will they "correct" it either way?

You won't "leave it off" in the sense that you won't list the class. All classes you've taken since entering college should be reported. Whether or not a class counts as biology doesn't depend on what department it's in but on the course content. If you believe your class has sufficient biological content, you can claim it as a biology course on the AMCAS. A reviewer on the other end may change it. It's not the end of the world if one of your entries is corrected.

TMDSAS has a science GPA that is broader than AMCAS's BCPM GPA. I'm betting your behavioral neuroscience class will count as "other science," so it'll be included in the science GPA.

It's a behavioral science. Them having to change something on your grades can cause your AMCAS to take an additional week or two to be verified, so you want to be as careful as you can and somewhat conservative when filling out that grade section and deciding what connotates a "science" (I'd listen to your premed advisors on this). Also check your grades once they've been verified--my first round through they changed the classification of a course or something and then accidentally deleted the credit--which made my GPA lower than it should've been.