Transcript update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdoc107

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I send my grades for the previous semester? After earning a 4.0 my junior year I only managed a 3.3 last semester. I am afraid that this will make me look like a slacker due to the drop in gpa (not because a 3.3 is bad). Do you think they will want these grades before they will invite me for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

They will usually ask you when they need it. Some schools ask you to bring recent grades with you when you come to the interview. So, I would just wait for them to ask you for it. I would really volunteer the information unless it could really help me.

There are some schools that strongly recommend (but not explictly require) that you send in transcripts with updated grades from fall quarter/semester after you interview if you wish to remain in consideration. If suppose your fall grades were mediocre (say all B's), can you choose to not volunteer that information and instead send only updates on extracurriculars and awards? Would it hurt your chances of getting into that school by not sending any transcript updates?

I'm assuming that there are some people out there whose grades suffer during the fall term because of applications and interviews. Considering that interviews would be a lot more important than senior grades at this point in time, would med schools be understanding of this situation? Should one bother to write a letter explaining the negative trend in the grades?

Any input to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

There are some schools that strongly recommend (but not explictly require) that you send in transcripts with updated grades from fall quarter/semester after you interview if you wish to remain in consideration. If suppose your fall grades were mediocre (say all B's), can you choose to not volunteer that information and instead send only updates on extracurriculars and awards? Would it hurt your chances of getting into that school by not sending any transcript updates?

I'm assuming that there are some people out there whose grades suffer during the fall term because of applications and interviews. Considering that interviews would be a lot more important than senior grades at this point in time, would med schools be understanding of this situation? Should one bother to write a letter explaining the negative trend in the grades?

Any input to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

bump. I'm wondering about these same questions right now. I got a 3.0 this past fall and a 3.5 this semester. Should I hold out until I get taken off of a waitlist, or should I send it in right away since perhaps one of the reasons I haven't been taken off the waitlist is that schools don't know how I've done this past year?