Transfer as a CA3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlaws67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if there's an existing thread about this somewhere, but if there is I couldn't find it. I'm a CA-2.5 at a big midwestern program. My significant other was recently offered a job opportunity on the other side of the country(and closer to where we'd both eventually like to live) that she basically couldn't say no to. As much as I've liked my program, the thought of a year and a half of a long distance relationship is less than appealing. Has anyone heard of/successfully transferred programs this late in training? If so would anyone be willing to shed some light on the steps involved? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do your last year apart and save yourself the headache. Now when you apply for a job in "said area" they have more of a reason to hire you because you have a connection there.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a crummy situation, but it's going to be very difficult to make a transfer happen.

1) You need a program to have an open CA-3 position.
2) It would take at least 2 months to get you up to speed with the new hospital, EMR, where things are... longer if they cover multiple hospitals. You'd need to get a training license, credentialed.. asking a lot for only 10 months of work.
3) They'd have to fill in RRC-required rotations if you haven't completed them all. Many programs aim to get these done by CA-2 to offer more electives for CA-3s, and there might not be room for you on subspecialties.
4) You might not have time to fulfill graduation requirements like QI/Academic project.
5) You'd have to meet their requiremetn

I can think of a couple examples where new CA-2s switched programs in the summer, but CA-3 is pushing it for only one additional year of training. Twiggidy is right - finish where you are and look for a job/fellowship in your SO's geographic location.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a resident transfer into my program for her CA-3 year. Worked out very well for her. We just happened to have an extra spot available my year. She was coming from another program in the same state/region though.

We had a resident transfer into my program for her CA-3 year. Worked out very well for her. We just happened to have an extra spot available my year. She was coming from another program in the same state/region though.

Wow! I would also be concerned that since a transfer is a total unknown, it’s unlikely him or her would get the autonomy needed as a CA-3 just due to lack of familiarity for quite some time. I wouldn’t recommend that for a trainee, but it is interesting to hear of someone that has seen it work!

Hey all,

Sorry if there's an existing thread about this somewhere, but if there is I couldn't find it. I'm a CA-2.5 at a big midwestern program. My significant other was recently offered a job opportunity on the other side of the country(and closer to where we'd both eventually like to live) that she basically couldn't say no to. As much as I've liked my program, the thought of a year and a half of a long distance relationship is less than appealing. Has anyone heard of/successfully transferred programs this late in training? If so would anyone be willing to shed some light on the steps involved? Appreciate it!
The only scenario in which I ever heard of someone transferring as a CA3 was when their host program shut down. Unless you are in that spot, don't do it