Transfer credits/GPA calculations by AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looloodans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every class is basically 1 credit in my university. However, I took a summer class in a school that counted the class as 4 credits. I transferred this credit to my transcript and it is recorded as 1 credit.

So my questions is, when AMCAS determines my GPA, will they consider that summer class to be one credit, or four credits as listed in the original transcript issued by the summer school? This will cause a significant change in my GPA so please let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Every class is basically 1 credit in my university. However, I took a summer class in a school that counted the class as 4 credits. I transferred this credit to my transcript and it is recorded as 1 credit.

So my questions is, when AMCAS determines my GPA, will they consider that summer class to be one credit, or four credits as listed in the original transcript issued by the summer school? This will cause a significant change in my GPA so please let me know!

Thanks!
one credit classes? Thats crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, it's not entirely unreasonable. There are a number of universities that do it. Regular classes are 1 credit, classes with lab are 1 or 1.5, classes without homework are 0.5. It probably isn't the best way to do it, but meh. I personally prefer Carnegie Mellon's system, where you get credits equal to the number of hours/week you are supposed to put into the course (so a Calculus 1 class is 10 units).

OP, talk to your premed advisor. They probably have dealt with this situation a good number of times.

Canadian schools sometimes do .5 credit for 1 term courses and 1 credit for 1 yr courses.

So g chem 1 is .5 and the g chem 1&2 would be 1.