Transfer from 6 year pharmacy school to 4 year pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmacy93

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I just completed the first two year of pre-pharmacy undergraduate courses in a 6 year pharmacy school program and have made into professional year few weeks ago.
Since I have completed the required undergraduate courses, I've been thinking about transferring to a 4-year pharmacy school that I could apply for.
I've been doing some research and found out that I meet the prerequisite of a lots of 4 year pharmacy school such as UCSF, Purdue, and USC.
It's already too late to apply for transfer so I was planning to take my first professional year at the university I am currently enrolled in and apply for transfers during semester.

I know it is very rare to transfer pharmacy schools but say if I do get accepted. If I transfer, will I have to take the professional year all over from the beginning or would they only require me to take the courses that I have not yet taken?


Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice!!
 
Last edited:
I can only speak for the school at which I attend, but I do know that University of Maryland Eastern Shore School of Pharmacy will not accept transferred professional credits. Ours is a 3 year accelerated professional program (as opposed to the traditional 4 year programs-so you would have had to completed your pre-reqs before attending but I'm assuming that's what your first two years are for, right? To complete those needed pre-reqs?) and they've stated to us that new students would have to start over in P1 year again. However, I'm not sure if this applies to all pharmacy schools so you may have to check with select ones you're looking into. Hopefully this helps in some small way even if I couldn't give you a definitive answer.