Transfer from GS to integrated Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abcdeeg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 here thinking about GS/plastics, but with low board scores in 220s. Has anyone gone through transfer from a general surgery residency to integrated plastics after completing intern or PGY2 year? What did you do to make it happen? Just trying to research this option since I really can't seem to find much information about this. Appreciate all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just finish GS residency and then apply to a plastics fellowship? Isn't that how most folks get into plastics anyway?

Reactions: 1 users
Why not just finish GS residency and then apply to a plastics fellowship? Isn't that how most folks get into plastics anyway?
Thanks! I asked mostly out of curiosity about the non-conventional paths that are theoretically possible but I am aware of the more well-defined ones:)

Members don't see this ad :)
MS3 here thinking about GS/plastics, but with low board scores in 220s. Has anyone gone through transfer from a general surgery residency to integrated plastics after completing intern or PGY2 year? What did you do to make it happen? Just trying to research this option since I really can't seem to find much information about this. Appreciate all the help!

I'm actually aware of several plastics residents that went from GS to integrated (at least 2 maybe 3+) and I think it happened when the program added another spot to several years, and I think maybe one resident quit which opened another spot. How these lucky people got in is beyond me, but they were at some pretty good GS programs and seemed like really good applicants. All planned on doing a plastics fellowship later on, but jumped at the chance to transfer over. From what I understand, there are exponentially more people who try to apply for these openings than there are spots each year.

Best advice I can give is try for a top gen surg program, work your butt off, publish plastics research, network, and have a lot of luck

Reactions: 1 user
I'm actually aware of several plastics residents that went from GS to integrated (at least 2 maybe 3+) and I think it happened when the program added another spot to several years, and I think maybe one resident quit which opened another spot. How these lucky people got in is beyond me, but they were at some pretty good GS programs and seemed like really good applicants. All planned on doing a plastics fellowship later on, but jumped at the chance to transfer over. From what I understand, there are exponentially more people who try to apply for these openings than there are spots each year.

Best advice I can give is try for a top gen surg program, work your butt off, publish plastics research, network, and have a lot of luck

We used to have a lot of this at our program, folks who would switch after their pgy3 or 4 year, usually after a plastics spot opened up for whatever reason. We haven't had as much of it in the last few years with most opting to finish gen surgery then enter fellowship. Little bit of a longer route, but everyone who has wanted to do plastics has gotten their top choice over the last 4 years -- I think the programs like the bit of maturity they get with a finished general surgeon.