1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer from SGU to USA?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by IWSMD, Feb 3, 2002.

1. IWSMD

IWSMD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

Has anyone ever tried to transfer from SGU to the USA, or know anyone that has? Just wondering. Either way, whether I stay at SGU or transfer(as it's cheaper to go to an in-state med school where I have established residency), I am ok with it...I am just looking to save a little $$$$$...then my wife can make more $$$ than she can here. Thanks for any info. :cool:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The answer to your first question is a resounding yes - many people try and transfer every year from SGU to a US school, and I'm sure every year there are at least a few who make it.

If you do a search on this forum, I'm sure you'll find information to help you.

4. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My dermatologist transferred after 1 year from SGU to U Miami and did really well there, and he told me he got a 3 on the physical science section of his mcat. He's fairly young, so I guess it was not that long ago.

However, I think it's very difficult to transfer, so that's why I have not applied to SGU.

By the way, is it too late to apply? Do they really accept applications until June?

5. IWSMD

IWSMD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

No, it isn't too late to apply. SGU is on rotating terms, so that is why their application cycle is different. They are always interviewing, and reviewing app's. I can tell you the education here is great, and the lab equipment is state of the art. I know someone also who transferred after 1 year, so it can be done, like you mentioned. Good luck in your app process. :cool:

6. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I will tell you that transfers to UM are no longer possible. I spoke with them about that last year and they changed their policy on accepting transfers as a result of their new curriculum.

I am sure there are many other schools, however, that may accept transfers from SGU.