Transfer into 0-6 program 3rd year? Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WickedPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a New England student acquiring my associates of science. Right now I'm fulfilling my requirements to apply to University of Rhode Island's 0-6 program as a transfer student.

I have done the research, and from my understanding, to transfer into a 0-6 program is extremely difficult going into 3rd year (so, take PCATs, get associates, pray to get into a program).
I will have competed these courses in two years time:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Gen.  Chemistry I and II with labs
[*]General Zoology/Biology with lab
[*]Applied Calculus (Calc I )
[*]Human Anatomy with lab
[*]Organic Chemistry I and II with labs
[*]Principles of Microeconomics
[*]Introductory Medical Microbiology
[*]Introductory Human Physiology with Lab
[*]Introductory Biochemistry
[*]Introductory Biostatistics
[*]Oral Communications and Writing
[*]Ethics
[/LIST]
Here is my predicament: is it too late for me to do the 0-6? I have been advised by a counselor to just get my bachelors in Biology/Chem and go for a 3 year accelerated program. This seems counter-productive to me, but it may be my only choice.

I won't be fulfilling certain requirements, e.g., Physics I & II for certain schools like UF. Without these requirements will it cripple me from getting into any other 0-6 programs?

It comes down to this: if I have a decent gpa (3.0+) with a decent science and math (around 3.5) with a decent PCATs, will I have a probable chance of getting one of the 18 or so 0-6 pharm d. programs?

Ideally I would like Mass College, UConn, URI, or Northeastern, but all have very different requirements. If I have to do it in 7-8 years then so be it, any experienced advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am a freshman, and if working/volunteer makes a big difference, I will get the ball rolling ASAP to get this bonus resume experience.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're already completing an associates, why are you specifically shooting to transfer into a 0+6 program (a difficult endeavor) rather than just get admitted to a normal 4 year PharmD program?

If getting into these programs as a transfer student is competitive, you'd probably want a higher GPA for only two years of coursework, also.

I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean. Do you mean going into a normal 4 year after my bachelors? When I entered college I was deciding if I liked Math/Science more, therefore I didn't apply into any 0-6 programs to get locked in indefinitely. Can you answer any of my other questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most pharmacy schools do not require a bachelors degree. While schools are heading that direction, they're not there yet. What this means for you is: you can get your associates (making sure to complete ALL of the pre-reqs for your school of choice) and apply and go straight in.

For example: I got my associates degrees while completing my pre-reqs over the course of two years and went straight into my PharmD program.

If you're dead-set on applying as a transfer student into the third year of a 0+6 program, you NEED to get your GPA up from just a 3.0 and score well on the PCAT.

You also need to ensure you fulfill all the general "intangibles." Volunteer, participate in extra-curricular groups and events, etc. This goes for all schools, but you're competing for an already small number of seats if you pursue this particular option, so if there's a candidate with numbers only slightly better than you, all other thing being equal, you won't get the seat.

Last edited:
What school did you get into if I may ask? As I said, I'll apply to URI fulfilling all requirements. But this cripples me from fulfilling requirements to other 0-6 programs. It's impossible to fulfill every 0-6's requirements. So you're saying, e.g., I have Calculus I, some other guy has Calc II (which is requirement), all rest being equal, he will be accepted? If so, very disappointing. Tell me what 0-6 schools I should aim for to fulfill, since URI is extremely limited maybe you know of larger programs where I would have a better chance getting into. Thanks a lot. Also, congratulations to you, very impressive.