Transfer into Anesthesia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewGuyBob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there! I am a PGY1 at a ObGyn program thinking about transfering to Anesth next year. Will I be able to use my intern ObGyn year to find a 2nd year anesthesia or will i have to do 1st year again? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

NewGuyBob said:
Hello there! I am a PGY1 at a ObGyn program thinking about transfering to Anesth next year. Will I be able to use my intern ObGyn year to find a 2nd year anesthesia or will i have to do 1st year again? thanks

Any internship (prelim or categorical) will do. Good move transferring in gas...

I agree. Good move! And again, yes your first year of OB/GYN will count as your internship.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys!
now I have another question. What do I do for recommendation letters? I really doubt any of my attendings will give a letter so I can leave. What about if I don't get the position in GAS, after everybody knows I tried to bail out?

I asked one of my letter writers from last year to write another one for me. If you feel comfortable enough with your letter writers, this is a good way to quickly get good letters. You will also need a letter from your program director, which will count as a LoR. So really you only need two other ones.

People in your program will have to at least have an idea of what you're doing/thinking, but you can be very vague about the whole situation and not give any specific information (i.e. don't mention anesthesiology). I think this is the best way to do it.
You should also apply for both 2005 (outside the match) and 2006 (in the match) so that you can be sure to get a spot. Just start emailing all the programs you're interested in and ask if they have any open spots for July. Some save spots for people like us who are switching.

Hope this helps.

hey, I did the same thing last year! I couldn't be happier.
You might still be able to find a PGY-2/CA-1 spot for July 2005. Just start calling programs that you might be interested in.
I was honest upfront with my program. I think that helped me in the long run. I was sure that I was not going to do another year of OB/GYN even if that meant being unemployed for a year. My ob/Gyn program director was very helpful. He wrote me a letter, I also had a letter from an MFM attending that I was on good terms with. It was important for programs to know that I was in good standing with my program, ie, that I wasn't getting fired. I think you need their support.
You don't need an anesthesia letter, but it's helpful to talk to the people in your hospital, they might know of open spots etc. I didn't make my decision to switch until after the match, so I was VERY fortunate to find a spot, try the bigger programs first.
Good luck to you!

I'm a 4th year, currently applying for Peds Residency...as the clock keeps ticking and interviews start rolling in, I am seriously thinking about Anesthesia. I have not done an elective in this field yet...planning on doing on in February..Peds Anesthesia. I absolutely LOVE procedures, love being in the OR...but I am afraid I will miss out on the direct patient contact...I really LOVE my kiddos too ;) I was thinking about doing Peds ER...but realized that Anesthesia would have everything I want...except for some small things. I was wondering how easy it would be to transfer after 1 year in Peds...how does the match process work then? would i have a better/worse chance? i'm really out of luck right now until I do my elective in Feb, and by that time, it is too late to change my mind...so it looks like next year, if I do. And...how long is peds anesthesia fellowship? Thanks!

mailee88 said:
I'm a 4th year, currently applying for Peds Residency...as the clock keeps ticking and interviews start rolling in, I am seriously thinking about Anesthesia. I have not done an elective in this field yet...planning on doing on in February..Peds Anesthesia. I absolutely LOVE procedures, love being in the OR...but I am afraid I will miss out on the direct patient contact...I really LOVE my kiddos too ;) I was thinking about doing Peds ER...but realized that Anesthesia would have everything I want...except for some small things. I was wondering how easy it would be to transfer after 1 year in Peds...how does the match process work then? would i have a better/worse chance? i'm really out of luck right now until I do my elective in Feb, and by that time, it is too late to change my mind...so it looks like next year, if I do. And...how long is peds anesthesia fellowship? Thanks!

You still have a chance in this year's match. If you really want to do anesthesia, I encourage you to try this year. After next year, your chances are probably a little harder simply because the number of PGY-2 spots available outside the match are going to be less than matching this year for those spots.

Pedi fellowship is only one year and is a fun year from what I have gathered from the current pedi fellows here.

Good luck.

Problem is that I'm not sure I want to do anesthesia yet. I have my elective in peds anesthesia in February...so I will decide after that. So unfortunately, I probably won't be able to apply this year. I wish I knew what I wanted...but I don't...do you think it'll be a big deal to apply next year? And will my peds intern year count?

mailee88 said:
Problem is that I'm not sure I want to do anesthesia yet. I have my elective in peds anesthesia in February...so I will decide after that. So unfortunately, I probably won't be able to apply this year. I wish I knew what I wanted...but I don't...do you think it'll be a big deal to apply next year? And will my peds intern year count?

You still have a good chance next year and your peds internship will count. You are in luck in that the changes that will be incorporated into anesthesiology residency requirements will not be in effect by 2006.

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but what exactly are those changes and would they apply to me as a current MSIII?

Like mailee I'm interested in peds, but anesthesia's pretty much the last specialty I haven't yet ruled out. :) If it'll be harder for me to do switch, then I know I *really* have to take an early elective if I'm at all unsure.

btw, any info on what peds anesthesia is like would be appreciated! All I've gathered is that it's much riskier than adult. :scared:

The changes have primarily to do with ICU and pain management requirements for an anesthesiology residency (both will increase significantly). The new numbers will make it difficult to not incorporate the internship into the residency as a categorical year in order to spread those requirements into the internship.

A person who did a pedi internship at that time might have to spend a significant amount of their CA 1-3 years doing ICU and pain to meet those elevated requirements.

NewGuyBob said:

This information is readily available. For someone who claims to be interested, you seem to know very little about the training process.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
This information is readily available. For someone who claims to be interested, you seem to know very little about the training process.

Man, I love reading your posts. You really know how to zing someone! Keep up the great work. I just think about how you must sit there and dream up these gems. After all, if someone dares to ask what you perceive to be a stupid question, they really don't deserve to be in the field, do they? Gosh, I guess I just couldn't agree more.

But, what's even better is that you originally responded to this post back in November with a reasonable answer. Since that apparently wasn't good enough, you then decided, almost three months later, that you could do much better. Again, I couldn't agree more! Thankfully for all of us regularly visiting this forum, you went back and requoted the OP and completely came out of left-field with a really sarcastic, vitriolic response. What genius!

And, while you're at it, why don't you share more of your feelings about women in the field. Please continue sharing your helpful, outrageously funny, and incredibly insightful musings. We certainly won't survive without people like yourself helping us see how the world really works, especially with regards to Anesthesiology.

Such great stuff, man, just great! Keep it up. Huge fan here.

:laugh: :thumbup: :D ;) :cool: :love: :luck:

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Man, I love reading your posts. You really know how to zing someone! Keep up the great work. I just think about how you must sit there and dream up these gems. After all, if someone dares to ask what you perceive to be a stupid question, they really don't deserve to be in the field, do they? Gosh, I guess I just couldn't agree more.

But, what's even better is that you originally responded to this post back in November with a reasonable answer. Since that apparently wasn't good enough, you then decided, almost three months later, that you could do much better. Again, I couldn't agree more! Thankfully for all of us regularly visiting this forum, you went back and requoted the OP and completely came out of left-field with a really sarcastic, vitriolic response. What genius!

And, while you're at it, why don't you share more of your feelings about women in the field. Please continue sharing your helpful, outrageously funny, and incredibly insightful musings. We certainly won't survive without people like yourself helping us see how the world really works, especially with regards to Anesthesiology.

Such great stuff, man, just great! Keep it up. Huge fan here.

:laugh: :thumbup: :D ;) :cool: :love: :luck:

-Skip

You're right...in Nov I did do so. Thanks for the research.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
You're right...in Nov I did do so. Thanks for the research.

Yeah, I just had to look in this same thread. Trust me, I really broke a sweat.

You see? This kind of response is what makes you so totally awesome. You rule, dude. You rule. Great stuff!! I love you, man. Please don't stop. Never leave us. Make that promise to everyone here. Never, ever leave.

:idea: :luck: :rolleyes: :p :oops: :) :D :cool:

-Skip

Perhaps we should make a sticky for "transfering into anesthesiology" as I am frequently inundated with questions about the subject.

VentdependenT said:
Perhaps we should make a sticky for "transfering into anesthesiology" as I am frequently inundated with questions about the subject.

Sounds like a good idea. If you (or someone else) can compile all the relevant info from the various threads and then you can make a sticky, Vent, that may be a good way to avoid rehashing the same issues over and over again.

-Skip

NewGuyBob said:

Hey NewGuyBob,

Just wondering why you're thinking of changing from Ob/Gyn to Gas? I'm considering both fields now and am wondering whats making you unhappy with Ob/Gyn? Thanks.

jazz

jazz79 said:
Hey NewGuyBob,

Just wondering why you're thinking of changing from Ob/Gyn to Gas? I'm considering both fields now and am wondering whats making you unhappy with Ob/Gyn? Thanks.

jazz

Malpractice rates and the fear of being sued makes ob/gyn unattractive right now. That and being called out of your bed at all times of the night is not too attractive to some people. That said, Iam not in ob but have a few friends who are. Many of them were named in law suits before they even completed residency training.

CambieMD