Transfer medical schoolwithin Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fengsoir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :) I hope I can find some help here.

I am an American citizen in the 2nd year of a 4-year (graduate-entry) medical program in Poland. I should say that my motivation is to train in the UK after graduation (i.e. Foundation Programme) because I have a British fiancee.

Recently I have started looking into possibly transferring into the 3rd year of another English-taught 4-year or 5-year program elsewhere in Europe, and I am hoping someone can offer some information. While the level of teaching here is really good, I am worried that, because next year the learning will be mostly clinical and my Polish is nowhere near conversational competence, I will not learn as much in the hospitals as I would like to. The doctors all speak excellent English, but the nurses and patients I have a great difficulty communicating with. I know there are a few programs in Italy, Spain, and Malta etc. that all offer English curriculum, but it has been very frustrating trying to find out whether they accept transfer students (and not starting again from Year 1).

English is not my first language, and I speak some Spanish. Language learning is not a problem for me - Polish has been, but it is also notoriously difficult and we only have so much spare time as medical students. If there is a suitable program for me to join, I will heavily consider taking a year living there just to learn the language first before starting the clinical year. (Spanish and Italian would be much easier to master than Polish.)

Anyway, my qualifications are:
-Good standing in my current program, 2nd year/4-year program, widely recognized in EU and North America;
-Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Engineering) from top US university;
-top 5% in MCAT;
-written recommendations from professors and the dean of the program.

Looking for:
-transfer into another European 4/5 year English program without starting from Year 1;
-not too expensive (I currently pay 12,000 Euros/yr);

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In Italy they accept foreign students but one needs to pass the regular admission exam (IMAT) and then apply to a comission for a convalidation of previous studies in order to gain access to advanced years