Transfer ? SGU to US Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWSMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what you think about transferring from St. George's University(in Grenada) to a US Med School (preferably a med school in NY..from where I am a resident)? Do you know anyone that has done it?...when they did it?...and how difficult it was? I really like SGU, but my wife is an RN, and in the states she could make more $$$, to help support me and our 2 children...and also the in-state tuition and cost of living is much lower. Thank you in advance for any useful information you may have.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

from what i hear, it is possible, but VERY unlikely to transfer. st georges is prob the only carribean school that it is possible to transfer from, but it still is rare. the thing to do is to ask the schools that you are interested in if they accept transfers, and they can also tell you how often it occurs. but, the best thing to do is expect to stay at st. georges and try for a transfer. that way, you will not be disappointed or have any unreasonable expectations. good luck!

I agree, check before hand. Some schools have special policies for in state residents to transfer after 2 years abroad, UW comes to mind but it seems like you're not a Cheesehead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who transferred from Ross to Downstate, but her board scores were really high. It is possible. A few US schools accept transfers, usually in the third year, I think. Contact these schools and see what their requirements are. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies...I contacted SUNY Upstate..and they took 7 transfers last year...so that seems promising. I am from Syracuse too, so maybe that will help too. Anyway...thanks again.