Transfer student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Love

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN and need sincere advice. I am currently first year dental student and considering withdrawing. I have good academic standing and support of school. Not a good fit for me. Please let me know any advice you have. How do other schools look at this? Should I start over and apply as new student? I have heard transfer is difficult because programs are so different. I do not mind start over first year has been bad experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that.
May I know why do u want to transfer?
Even though different sch focus on different missions, most of them teach us similar stuff. How could you guarantee you will like it somewhere else? Do you think you could talk with sch officials to deal with your dissatifaction and make it smoother for ur next 3 yrs?

I am an incoming dental student. I would like to know what happen. If you dont feel right to discuss on the forum, do you mind pm me? I appreciate your input.

Love,

Sorry to hear about your situation. For what it's worth, keep in mind that these "things" do happen. I put "things" in quotes b/c I dont want to suggest that I know what you're going through but rather that students do withdraw and/or transfer.

Case in point: This year we accepted a transfer student from another program who also stated that it [the other program] wasnt a "good fit" for he and his family. This is just one example but from what I understand it is not uncommon.

My thoughts are -and I realize these are just my thoughts- that if you are in good academic standing and have otherwise done well with your classmates, in preclinical work, etc. that you wont have any problems but will actually be a strong applicant. I would think an adcom would see that you are very capable.

Again, dont be too hard on yourself, it's not the end of the world to be leaving a situation that isnt right for you. Best of luck.

Dinonuggets

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you sound like a really neat person, I'm sure it will work out for you one way or another. Have you talked to other schools about transferring? I think that there are a lot of great schools out there that would love to have a good student like yourself, if you decide to transfer. I wonder if there is an easy way to find out which schools accept transfers?

G-Man

G-man

No I havent talked to other schools but what you said is exactly what I am hoping for. Specifically the part about other schools being positive about a student who has, essentially, completed a year of dental school and done well, and is willing to start over.

Your question reiterates one of my original questions. Any of you experienced, or more experienced, people out there please let me know what you thoughts are with this situation. Thanks G-man and Dinonuggets for your comments.

Hello LOVE! (I like the sound of that! assuming u'r a female!)

First of all, DO NOT withdraw nor start over and apply as a new student. Why put yourself through all of that painful process again? I'm sure with your good DAT and good undergrad GPA you can get accepted again to entering class 2005 which means u wont graduate until 2009, ouch! Time is money in dentistry! You've come a long way from filling out personal statements and asking for recommendations! just thinking about it making the hairs on the back of my head stand up! giving me goose bumps!

I think u have several options to consider:
1. Hang in there or ask for a leave of absent, take a yr off, start the 2nd yr in 2005. This is your back up plan. Maybe u'll change your mind or your circumstances change by then.
2. If u'r still thinking about transfer then schedule an appointment IN PERSON with the Director of admissions of the particular school that u'r interested in, discussing your situations. You'll find out exactly what are your chances of getting a transfer this yr or next yr to the new school, hopefully! whether you'll have to repeat 1st yr or take additional classes.
Transfering is not difficult when u have good academic standing (A's and B's, C's dont look good, Ds out of luck) and school support (u'll need the Dean's letter of approval/recommendation for transfering.) 4 of my classmates transferred after 1st yr for various reasons. I myself thought about transfering, filled out applications but didn't go through w/it after meeting new friends, frat parties, adjusted to home away from home....; plus the idea of starting over or taking more classes didn't sound too appealing to me.
Check w the schools that u want to transfer to for specific requirements. Many schools do not accept transfer students "under any circumstances". Most other schools do but have different requirements and process for transfering.

Good luck LOVE!