Transfer Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMDC2011

MDhopefully?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well...

I have a question open for anyone willing to answer it...

I am currently a pre-medical student in my junior year... My grades are pretty good, and I have been working tremendously hard on my MCAT preparation. I have done some summer internships in medical fields and volunteer work...However I do have one problem...

I am currently, as some people might say, a rolling stone...I started out my freshman year at Miami University, hoping to play football there. After I got cut from the varsity football team at Miami University, I decided that I still wanted to participate in the sport, so I transferred to a small Division 3 school by the name of Baldwin Wallace College and participated in football and did pre-med. However, it was at my time at BWC that I realized that football was turning out to be more of an obstacle, rather than a resume booster. I also realized that going to this smaller school did not provide the opportunities in research and other activities that would help me get into medical school. I gave up football, and once again, transferred to the Ohio State University to take advantage of the numerous opportunities there and focus completely on school in an academically challenging environment.

My main question is that, when I apply to medical school, I know I will have to send in a transcript from each school I have attended, and that would be 3 transcripts (one from MU, one from BWC, and one from OSU)... I am planning on staying at OSU until I graduate...

Will all of my transferring hurt my chances of being in medical school? I wish I would have realized my enlightenment about not playing football earlier, but what is done is done and I can not change it, I can only look to explain what all the moves were about I suppose. I'm just worried that a medical school might find me unreliable or suspicious since I have attended three different schools before I have graduated.

I am hoping that transferring undergraduate schools twice won't hurt my chances or put me at a disadvantage even if my GPA is good and my MCATS and extracurriculars are pretty good as well...thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting situation. My feeling is that it won't hurt you if you can explain to adcoms why you felt you needed to transfer twice (as you've already done above).