Transfer to another undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azw638

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently I am a freshman in an accelerated BS/MD program at a low tier university. So far, I have been disliking this program, the university, and the environment. I've cried many days every week since I've been here and thought about transferring to another university and leaving this program. All the people I have talked to told me to just rough it out these few years and I would be at a med school soon. But about 90% of students commute to this university, and I am one of the few that live at the dorms. On weekends, many people from the dorms also go back home because it's a driveable distance, while I am hours away from my home, so it gets very lonely on the weekends. Also, I'm not getting any college experience compared to my former high school friends at other colleges. They hang out everyday, go to parties, and at least have something to do every weekend. I basically stay in my room everyday after classes because this town has absolutely nothing to do.

Granted, this program allows me to shadow, volunteer at clinics, and be exposed to the medical setting from year one. But I don't feel happy here, and I've told my parents, which they took a while to understand.

My question is: I don't really like it at my BSMD program, and want to transfer to another university. The thing is, I'm giving up a chance to get into medical school (this BSMD program isn't guaranteed admission, but an easier way). I don't know if transferring will affect my chances of applying the regular way into medical school. Would you advise me to transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with a grain of salt but I go to a large 4 year university and hardly have time to do anything. My roommates in other majors party every week but realistically I would fall behind in my classes. I feel like I'm constantly studying and go out only 2x per quarter. Chances are as people get older they'll move into the town for clinical years. I doubt people want to commute for 6 years. Once you get older there's always bars you can go to. A physician I worked for went to a BS/MD and most of his best friends are from school. Maybe wait it out and see if you meet more people.

If you're truly passionate about medicine I wouldn't transfer. If you're iffy about it then transfer out. I'm not sure how future adcoms would look at this but I assume not well? Maybe others can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I believe people will commute for 6 years, because these students are from this town..they're family based, so they live at home instead of living at a college dorm

I can't really meet new people because I'm the last cohort for this program so it's really hard to meet people since there are barely any campus activities, and how after 6 PM, the campus is basically empty since everyone goes home :(

I'm not 100% committed to medicine, it so far seems like a good future for me and I love clinical science so much. I just dislike that this program has caused me to potentially be harmed in the future for medical school acceptances. I'm not saying that I want to transfer to party all the time, but I at least want a life.

Here, everyday is simply: go to class, go back to dorm and do homework. And on weekends, stay in the dorm because everyone else is at home with their families. I just don't feel connected to anyone and don't even have the chance to connect with anyone because they're all at home.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe people will commute for 6 years, because these students are from this town..they're family based, so they live at home instead of living at a college dorm

I can't really meet new people because I'm the last cohort for this program so it's really hard to meet people since there are barely any campus activities, and how after 6 PM, the campus is basically empty since everyone goes home :(

I'm not 100% committed to medicine, it so far seems like a good future for me and I love clinical science so much. I just dislike that this program has caused me to potentially be harmed in the future for medical school acceptances. I'm not saying that I want to transfer to party all the time, but I at least want a life.

Here, everyday is simply: go to class, go back to dorm and do homework. And on weekends, stay in the dorm because everyone else is at home with their families. I just don't feel connected to anyone and don't even have the chance to connect with anyone because they're all at home.
If it's not even a true BS/MD program, and you have really good reasons to feel uncomfortable, I doubt it will be held against you. I don't think you have to disclose that it was BS/MD and I doubt it would show up on a transcript anywhere.

Do you think that interviewers will ask about it? because here my GPA is a 4.0, so I wouldn't be transferring because of GPA reasons

Do you think that interviewers will ask about it? because here my GPA is a 4.0, so I wouldn't be transferring because of GPA reasons
High GPA won't raise a red flag for transfer. They might ask why you transferred, but the BS/MD part isn't relevant so just explain why you didn't feel like it was a good fit.

Reactions: 1 user
So currently I am a freshman in an accelerated BS/MD program at a low tier university. So far, I have been disliking this program, the university, and the environment. I've cried many days every week since I've been here and thought about transferring to another university and leaving this program. All the people I have talked to told me to just rough it out these few years and I would be at a med school soon. But about 90% of students commute to this university, and I am one of the few that live at the dorms. On weekends, many people from the dorms also go back home because it's a driveable distance, while I am hours away from my home, so it gets very lonely on the weekends. Also, I'm not getting any college experience compared to my former high school friends at other colleges. They hang out everyday, go to parties, and at least have something to do every weekend. I basically stay in my room everyday after classes because this town has absolutely nothing to do.

Granted, this program allows me to shadow, volunteer at clinics, and be exposed to the medical setting from year one. But I don't feel happy here, and I've told my parents, which they took a while to understand.

My question is: I don't really like it at my BSMD program, and want to transfer to another university. The thing is, I'm giving up a chance to get into medical school (this BSMD program isn't guaranteed admission, but an easier way). I don't know if transferring will affect my chances of applying the regular way into medical school. Would you advise me to transfer?

Where are you at? SLU? The environment matters

Not an adcom member, but just wanted to share my experience as a transfer student. I , similar to you, found myself at a university where the majority of the students commuted while I lived on campus. While the weekdays were fine, I dreaded the weekends because of how lonely and sad I would find myself. I had a full tuition academic scholarship, so I, similar to yourself, was very hesitant to transfer. However, after sophomore year, I finally gave in and decided to transfer, and I can honestly say that I don't regret it for a second. I'm much, much happier at my new university and no longer find myself dreading weekends or disliking college. College, though you may not believe it now (I didn't at the time), really can be an enjoyable experience once you find the right school. If you have any questions about transferring or the process I'm always happy to help. Best of luck in this difficult decision.

I would just go ahead and transfer out. Like others said you don't have to mention that it was a BS/MD school. Go where you think you'll be happier and keep your grades up!

@pioneer22 I prefer not to give away my location, but where I am is quite an underdeveloped town. This is a huge change for me as I'm from one of the biggest cities in the US.

Also, thank you all for your advice! I most likely will transfer, I'm just scared how much more difficult my medical school application journey will be since I will have to be part of the regular cycle.