Transfer to Cairo, Egypt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

~Rana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm an Egyptian whom happens to be an American citizen in her first yr of undergrad *I take Pre-Medical subjects though* in the USA. I've practically lived in the USA for my entire life but I need to go back to Egypt for several reasons.

Does anyone know if international students can transfer to Kasr El Aini (Cairo Univeristy Medical School), and do you have details on how I can do that? I know they need to check the subjects I've taken(called a *Maqasa* and I've specifically taken all the subjects they take during the 1st yr there), but do you know exactly who I can contact...maybe something more direct than the embassy since I'm in Egypt right now and can practically go anywhere? I hope someone who will give me real info tho, I've spent the past month going from office to office with no luck. I need to transfer next yr (which will be my 2nd. yr) and they all say just come back then. But I need to know now. So if anyone knows how I can get an approval for transferring and who to contact please let me know! Thanks!
~Rana

P.S If u've read other posts I've made... u might be a little confused on how I want to go to Egypt now instead of vice versa, but just ignore previous posts cause my plans kinda changed recently.

Members don't see this ad.

~Rana said:
Hey,
I'm an Egyptian whom happens to be an American citizen in her first yr of undergrad *I take Pre-Medical subjects though* in the USA. I've practically lived in the USA for my entire life but I need to go back to Egypt for several reasons.

Does anyone know if international students can transfer to Kasr El Aini (Cairo Univeristy Medical School), and do you have details on how I can do that? I know they need to check the subjects I've taken(called a *Maqasa* and I've specifically taken all the subjects they take during the 1st yr there), but do you know exactly who I can contact...maybe something more direct than the embassy since I'm in Egypt right now and can practically go anywhere? I hope someone who will give me real info tho, I've spent the past month going from office to office with no luck. I need to transfer next yr (which will be my 2nd. yr) and they all say just come back then. But I need to know now. So if anyone knows how I can get an approval for transferring and who to contact please let me know! Thanks!
~Rana

P.S If u've read other posts I've made... u might be a little confused on how I want to go to Egypt now instead of vice versa, but just ignore previous posts cause my plans kinda changed recently.

Hi Rana,

Well, it is doable. I have a friend who transferred to Kasr Al Aini (they placed him in the 2nd year) after doing 3 years at the Jordanian University.

I have some points here:

1- You mention that u r a first year undergrad in the US " pre-med ". You cannot transfer to a medical school in Egypt unless you are a med student already at some other school.

2- I doubt you have taken the subjects they take in the first year. They do not have a preparatory premed year (e3dady). They rather start with the medical basic sciences directly. The first year curriculum consists of:
Anatomy (Upper limb, lower limb, thorax)
Physiology (Cardiovascular system, excitable tissues, blood, digestive system and respiratory system)
Histology
Medical Biochemistry
ESP (Medical English)
Computing
Even when students transfer from an Egyptian medical school to another, they have to fulfill all the chapters that have been taken at the new school. For example, at my school, Alexandria, we take the anatomy of the abdomen in the first year instead of the anatomy of the lower limb (which is taught in the second year in Alexandria). So, to be considered for transfer to Kasr Al Aini, Alexandria students must take lectures, labs and exams in the anatomy of the lower limb.

3- I am not sure of this BUT, there may be a possibility that u can apply as a first year student if ur high school grades are high enough. Again, I am not sure this is possible, as there has been some law that prohibits students with high school diplomas of previous years from gaining admission to Egyptian universities in subsequent years.

4- I am not sure of this either, but u may try transferring into dentistry or pharmacy schools, as they, unlike medicine, do have a science preparatory year (e3dady).

5- Finally, u may want to consider applying to one of the 2 private med schools. They have been both approved last year..

Good luck in whatever u choose.

Mohamed

Thanks sooo much for all that info Mohamed! Actually yeah I am taking all those subjects that u mentioned (some right now and some in the summer semester), because I knew that I wanted to come back....so I literally tailored my schedule accordingly. The real problem tho is if the courses that I'm taking don't contain the same exact details in the same order as Egypt. I took the actual courses but I can't mess with their content too, so I'm hoping that that'll be ok.

I just wish somebody knew a specific person at the university, embassy, etc. that I could actually contact tho... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
~Rana,

I don't have any specific details for this process, but I agree with what Mohamad posted. I think your best luck is to apply as a "sanawy" or highschool graduate. I almost decided to go this route a couple of years back, but backed out. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated.

Thanks Hoooba, I'll have to get more info about that. Just out of curiosity...why did u back out? Advantages and disadvantages of being in Egypt maybe?

Very cool icon by the way, hooriya right? :thumbup:

~Rana said:
Thanks sooo much for all that info Mohamed! Actually yeah I am taking all those subjects that u mentioned (some right now and some in the summer semester), because I knew that I wanted to come back....so I literally tailored my schedule accordingly. The real problem tho is if the courses that I'm taking don't contain the same exact details in the same order as Egypt. I took the actual courses but I can't mess with their content too, so I'm hoping that that'll be ok.

I just wish somebody knew a specific person at the university, embassy, etc. that I could actually contact tho... :(

Rana I will speak with a fried of mine who has transferred from Alexandria to Cairo. It is a bit different but he must be aware of the procedures and personnel concerened.

Regarding living in Cairo after u have lived in the US for ur whole life, I believe it won't be as easy as u might think. It is always greener on the other side, and u may feel it is gonna be cool as long as u r only superficially exposed to life in Egypt. This is especially true when u r considering university education in one of the governmental institutions, where u will be shocked when u don't find the university life u r used to in the US. It is totally different. There r no "class rooms", only lectures and sections "filled" with hundreds of students, no instructor-student intercation whatsoever, private lessons, exams that depend only on pure memorization...etc.

I don't want to put u off, let's see first what we can do to get u a place.. I will get back to u as soon as I get more info.

Best of luck.

Mohamed

I think it's very difficult to gain admissions into a public medical school in Egypt. So, I would advise that you to try private ones. They are not as competitive, at least thus far. I believe they have a very organized curricullum, fewer students (~200 students), and nice facilities. Check 6th of October University, among others.

http://www.o6u.edu.eg/Medicine/index.htm

Peace...

Thanks guys, it's very cool how u guys r helping me out so much n u don't even know me...heya di el "gad3ana" I guess, which is nothing more than normal 3andena fi Masr. Which makes me very proud to be Egyptian. And yes, I totally know how hard it is to cope with or get used to Egypt (cause I lived there for a little while too) let alone get admitted to one of the public universities. I'm willing to take that challenge bc I've come to a point where I've realized that the advantages are more than the disadvantages or difficulties.

As for the private university idea...that kinda scares me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen the whole private university scene seems just very "fake" for lack of a better word. It seems like most of the people that go to the private places are the ones with low scores with not a care in the world about nething but their cars, friends, mobiles...and well u get the picture. So therefore the environment is horrible and so is the education. A description which sounds pretty childish I know, but even tho it might not be the entire picture it's just what I've seen.

Nehow, I finally found out where the official "Maqassa" office is and I'm going 2morrow to figure everything out...sure hope the mawazafeen are in a good mood and had a good Eid or something. lol Wish me luck!

~Rana said:
Thanks guys, it's very cool how u guys r helping me out so much n u don't even know me...heya di el "gad3ana" I guess, which is nothing more than normal 3andena fi Masr. Which makes me very proud to be Egyptian. And yes, I totally know how hard it is to cope with or get used to Egypt (cause I lived there for a little while too) let alone get admitted to one of the public universities. I'm willing to take that challenge bc I've come to a point where I've realized that the advantages are more than the disadvantages or difficulties.

As for the private university idea...that kinda scares me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen the whole private university scene seems just very "fake" for lack of a better word. It seems like most of the people that go to the private places are the ones with low scores with not a care in the world about nething but their cars, friends, mobiles...and well u get the picture. So therefore the environment is horrible and so is the education. A description which sounds pretty childish I know, but even tho it might not be the entire picture it's just what I've seen.

Nehow, I finally found out where the official "Maqassa" office is and I'm going 2morrow to figure everything out...sure hope the mawazafeen are in a good mood and had a good Eid or something. lol Wish me luck!

Hi Rana,

Congratulations u have made up your mind to take the challenge.

I want to give u some info about private schools. I'm pasting here an earlier post by myself commenting on private schools + some additions:

I'd really encourage you to attend Octoer 6 University. Contrary to what everybody else may tell you, I believe their students receive quality education. It is a rumor propagated by students of government public medical schools that O6U is not really good. Their students use American textbooks and review books, which makes it easier to study for the American boards, as you will not be faced by the dilemma we face when we shift from Egyptian to American texts (I'm a last yeay med student at the Uni of Alexandria, a public school). They also have brand new labs and teaching facilities, as well as a new, well-equipped hospital. Due to the geographic location of the school, there might not be enough patients to allow students to gain the appropriate clinical experience. So, they have made agreements to send their students to Kasr Al- Aini (Cairo Uni) School of medicine, and O6U students work alongside the students of Cairo Univ. They are even given privilages because "they pay money"!!. The only problem I think they have is the underquality of the academic level of SOME of the students
attending the school. This is mainly because they accept students with low performance in high school. This problem is solved because med school is really tough, and many of the not-so-good students fail, and the really good ones survive. There are a lot of really good students attending the school, particularly the non-Egyptian ones. I have a couple of friends studying there, one Jordanian and one Lebanese. Regarding the ability to practise in the US, it really makes no difference where u attend med school, except for I believe O6U will better prepare u, because the primary goal of 90% of the students is to do the US boards rather than practise locally. The school takes this into consideration. The school has been recently approved by the Ministry of Higher education and Physician syndicate in Egypt, and their graduates are conisdered equal to the graduates of public schools. The government has submitted an inquiry to the WHO to list O6U med school (and MUST med school) in the WHO directory of medical schools (the coming one is in 2008, I think). O6U med school has been added to the IMED directory of ECFMG, which means that all the graduates may sit for the USMLEs and subsequently practise in the US. I believe they also have partnerships with some of the US schools, allowing their students to do electives in the US.

There is another option which is Misr University of Science and Technology (MUST) which I think is a good alternative as well. All what I said about O6U applies to MUST as well.

Please note that the duration of study is not as American medical schools, but rather it is a 6 year program followed by a year of compulsory internship. This applies to both schools.

I would disagree that ALL the students attending private universities are only after the cars, fashion and hang outs. U will find this type of culturally shocking students in public schools as much as in private schools. Just pay a visit to our school and see yourself how this very typical description you gave applies to a lot of our students. On the other hand, many of the private school students are really concerened about education and career prospects. I can understand your concern, though.

I've called my friend whom I told u about, but he is in the middle of some exams and a bit busy. SO, I'll call him again in a couple of days.

Good luck Rana.

Keep us updated of what u have done.

Mohamed

~Rana said:
Hey,

~Rana

I was in the same boat you were in, i looked into everything before attending my undergrad here in Cali. Like a lot of things, i realized it was what you put into it. However, based on people who have graduated from gam3et el qahera have had to adjust big time as they are not always up to date on supplies in the labs and things like that. I would probably go with 6 october, but that pends on approval by the state boards if you want to practice back in the states. On the plus side you get to live in Egypt, which is an awesome experience, especially comparing to life in Riverside. Looking back, i would have gone if other things had worked out, but elhamdulilah 3ala kole shay2

But either way haned3eelek ele rabena ya wafa2ek wa ya bareklek fe el derasa.

Yeah, so I went to the Maqassa office. Turns out that maqassa's are only done for students that come from countries that have systems that are similar to Egypt, or people who've already gotten a degree. So for US students there is no way to transfer into the public university system since we deal with credit hours and Egypt doesn't. I really doubt the info is wrong because I got it from Weekeel Ain Shams University personally, but I'll try asking other ppl just in case. So... I guess my only choices are either to go to a private place or stay in the usa. I wonder if the private places accept transfers that easily tho, because I heard that if the public university won't transfer u in then the private won't either since they're controlled by the same laws. Dunno. Rabena Yisa7il inshAllah.

Ok well this is gonna sound crazy but I just wanted to know...what are the countries that work just like Egyptian medical schools? Like with curriculum blocks instead of credit hours. Nebody know?

~Rana said:
Ok well this is gonna sound crazy but I just wanted to know...what are the countries that work just like Egyptian medical schools? Like with curriculum blocks instead of credit hours. Nebody know?

Arab Countries (only in medicine):

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Syria and the rest of the Gulf states.

Non-Arab Countries:

UK, Ireland and Australia

Members don't see this ad :)
This is soo cool, there are Arab/Egyptian-Americans on this site.
ahlaaan wasahlan :)

Rock on!

DIVA01 said:
This is soo cool, there are Arab/Egyptian-Americans on this site.
ahlaaan wasahlan :)

Rock on!

Yep, I was really grateful when I first realized how many Egyptians were on here too...very cool, and I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the help too.

On another note, I'm feeling very...stuck. I rarely get personal online but I just have to say that I'm sick of this whole situation. I'm determined to be in Egypt next year but my options seem not only limited but confusing. Actually, maybe it's the fact that I'm picky and that's why I'm having a hard time deciding.

-Public Uni options are gone, unless I'm ok with going back into the 1st year.
-My dad is totally against private uni's like O6, even tho I mentioned what u guys said.
-AUC and GUC (which r the only private uni’s he’s ok with, n I don’t blame him cause they have stronger reputations) don't have med.

I mean is med really worth adding an extra year? It’s long as it is…I mean u start to think “When the heck am I going to have a life?” I'm starting to think I'm not even sure I want med...dunno if I'll be patient enough to spend that many yrs studying. It's funny because it seemed like I totally had my mind set on med for the past couple of yrs no matter what the consequences were. Should I just go to AUC and do a Psychology major and become a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist (which is what I thought I might be specializing in after med)? But it's still different...u can only talk to a patient, u can't deal with diseases like obsessive compulsive and schitzo or prescribe ne medication. Or maybe I should just go with the whole new medical biotechnology deal at GUC instead? I hear they have great career opportunities but is that what I really want...ugh. Neways, just had to vent, don't really expect u guys to reply to any of my gibberish lol, just thought maybe if I posted it on here somebody could someday relate to the same situation or something. :rolleyes:

~Rana said:
On another note, I'm feeling very...stuck. I rarely get personal online but I just have to say that I'm sick of this whole situation. I'm determined to be in Egypt next year but my options seem not only limited but confusing. Actually, maybe it's the fact that I'm picky and that's why I'm having a hard time deciding.

-Public Uni options are gone, unless I'm ok with going back into the 1st year.
-My dad is totally against private uni's like O6, even tho I mentioned what u guys said.
-AUC and GUC (which r the only private uni’s he’s ok with, n I don’t blame him cause they have stronger reputations) don't have med.

I mean is med really worth adding an extra year? It’s long as it is…I mean u start to think “When the heck am I going to have a life?” I'm starting to think I'm not even sure I want med...dunno if I'll be patient enough to spend that many yrs studying. It's funny because it seemed like I totally had my mind set on med for the past couple of yrs no matter what the consequences were. Should I just go to AUC and do a Psychology major and become a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist (which is what I thought I might be specializing in after med)? But it's still different...u can only talk to a patient, u can't deal with diseases like obsessive compulsive and schitzo or prescribe ne medication. Or maybe I should just go with the whole new medical biotechnology deal at GUC instead? I hear they have great career opportunities but is that what I really want...ugh. Neways, just had to vent, don't really expect u guys to reply to any of my gibberish lol, just thought maybe if I posted it on here somebody could someday relate to the same situation or something. :rolleyes:
Hi Rana,
I don't think I've talked to you before ,yet I have been watching this thread closely. I wasn't sure I could really help since I'm a dentist (Cairo university graduate).
I think that you have reached a very good point in the discussion. The basic question here is what do u want to do for the rest of your life????
why do u really want to study medicine? Is it just a fullfilling career?Are you after the prestige?Are you after the big salary? Are u trying to fulfill your parent's dreams? Or do u really want to become a doctor?? Do you feel that that is what you were born to do? If so , wasting a year or more of your life to reach your goal is totally worth it!!!! Go back to 1st year medicine in Cairo university.
If you just want to have a secure career ,go to AUC.(I don't know much about GUC)
I have to admit I wouldn't encourage u to go to one of the private universities like 6 october ,especially in medicine .
Whatever you do , give yourself enough time to think about it. Think about what u want to do for the rest of your life, not what u want to study for the coming 5 years .I hope you reach the right decision.
That's just my 2 cents.
Good Luck!

Rana,
U won't become a psychologist if u got an AUC psychology degree. This is not a professional psychology degree, it is rather a BSc (academic) degree. The key difference is that u will be studying a community oriented research based degree, rather than a person oriented clinical psychology program.

If u want my sincere advice, medicine is NOT worth it. My rule is: go to a US med school and if u don't, forget about medicine. I am considering a career shift myself. although I get excellent grades at med schools.

AUC is an excellent option (I am planning to join one of their graduate programs next spring). On the other hand, GUC is a rip off. U can do a simple google search and u will find out that all their German faculty are upset because the university has allowed ALL their freshman students to pass to the sophomore year, no matter what their exam performance was. This is threatening their German accreditation status and the school is getting a really bad rap.

The only thing I want u to know about AUC is that they don't have "professional" degrees, only academic ones. Good luck!!

Fascia Lata said:
Rana,

If u want my sincere advice, medicine is NOT worth it. My rule is: go to a US med school and if u don't, forget about medicine. I am considering a career shift myself. although I get excellent grades at med schools.

Fascia Lata,

Have you thought about taking the USMLE after finishing med school?

Yea, I need to just make up my mind. I'm thinking of volunteering at a local hospital, even if I have to do secretarial work (which is the only thing they'll let me do neways), just to get a feel for what being a doctor really means. I just need to be around that environment for awhile. Plus, I still have to see how I do with all the anatomy, histology, etc. that I'm taking. So I think after experiencing all that for a few months I'll know what I want inshAllah.

And yeah Mohamed you should definitely think about taking the USMLE. Actually a lot of people suggest that med students take Step 1 after the 2nd year, Step 2 after the 4th year, and then the 3rd step whenever u get time after that…just so the info is still fresh in ur mind. I think it’s probably late for u to do it step by step like that, but u should still take it. I mean I’m personally not thinking about working in Egypt after I’m done even if I go to med school there.

Well, I thought about USMLE. I actually attended the Kaplan Center preparation course on step I. I haven't taken the exam though. It's just that I sometimes get frustrated. Maybe because I am in the middle of my final exams (BTW, I am finishing on saturday the 26th, finally).

Practicing medicine in Egypt is the worst thing anyone can ever think of. Actually, the REAL medicine we read in textbooks is never practised in Egypt. The public sector is nothing but humiliation to the patient and exhaustion of the health personnel without reward. The private sector, on the other hand, is purely business (or as we call it here, besbes) and is entirely dependent on vitamin K (Vitamin Kosa :) ). It is therefore only rewarding to a bunch of famous university professors.

Another thing that is distressing to me is the financial relationship between the doctor and the patient in Egypt. We're a poor country, and most of the patients are really very poor. How could they pay the doctor, do the costy investigations and afford the sometimes lifelong treatment. I am a member of a charity that financially supports the families of children with congenital heart diseases, and I have seen families refusing to treat their sick children because they can't afford both the treatment of the sick child and their bringing up of the rest of their children. This is so frustrating. The public health insurance system is really a big lie, trust me. I have spent sometime in England on electives, and I believe their health insurance system (NHS) is the best world wide. Unlike Egypt, there is no financial relationship between the doctor and the patient whatsoever. The NHS, not the patient, pays the doctor. This assures that patients don't get ripped off by doctors. Let alone the medical standards and the reality of medicine practised.

I am finishing in a few days. I don't really know what I want to do.. I want to help the poor people in my country, but I can't stand seeing people suffering without doing much to help them. On the other hand, I believe every serious med student in Egypt wants to practise the real medicine we read in textbooks, and this is only achieved abroad. I really love medicine, butI have a conflict deep inside me that urges me to consider a career shift.

Sorry for bothering u with this, and thanks so much Hooba and Rana for ur concern.

Best wishes to both of u,
Mohamed

Ahhh Egypt, u gotta love it but sometimes...times like right now it drives me absolutely crazy! I totally agree with u about the financial relationship between the doctor and the patient, it's just so sad. On one side of the spectrum I've seen the Kasr El Aini Cancer Ward and then on the other side I've also seen El Salam Hospital, Cleopatra, and Dar El Fouad. :eek: But u know what? The truth is that the prob is just like the traffic problems, bribes, etc. etc., it's gonna take years and a heck of a lot of patient ppl to solve it all. I think u should travel to work abroad to achieve ur own financial goals (which isn't at all selfish, u deserve it) and help out ppl in Egypt (in whatever way) when ur back on vacation or when u come back for good.

And no ur not bothering us with ne of this! Trust me I can imagine how frustrating and depressing it is, and I'm only just starting! That’s why Kosa is the perfect description for all of this. I just don't think u should step down after u've come so far, especially when ur sure that u love what u do. Good luck and congrats on finishing!

~Rana said:
Ahhh Egypt, u gotta love it but sometimes...times like right now it drives me absolutely crazy! I totally agree with u about the financial relationship between the doctor and the patient, it's just so sad. On one side of the spectrum I've seen the Kasr El Aini Cancer Ward and then on the other side I've also seen El Salam Hospital, Cleopatra, and Dar El Fouad. :eek: But u know what? The truth is that the prob is just like the traffic problems, bribes, etc. etc., it's gonna take years and a heck of a lot of patient ppl to solve it all. I think u should travel to work abroad to achieve ur own financial goals (which isn't at all selfish, u deserve it) and help out ppl in Egypt (in whatever way) when ur back on vacation or here or when u come back for good.

And no ur not bothering us with ne of this! Trust me I can imagine how frustrating and depressing it is, and I'm only just starting! That’s why Kosa is the perfect description for all of this. I just don't think u should step down after u've come so far, especially when ur sure that u love what u do. Good luck and congrats on finishing!

I second what Rana is saying. I know it's easy to get frustrated and I can't blame you but you gotta just keep at it. It's like my dad used to tell me, "a3mel ely 3alek, wel ba2y 3ala rabena". En shaa allah beltawfeek ya man

and same to you as well Rana. I know this is a tough decision you're making, but nonetheless, you're gonna have to make it sooner or later. Just make sure you consider all your options well. As I've come to learn in life, the most bitter thing is retrospect. Good luck to you guys

hey rana.. i am a dental student in Kasr el Aini.. i know some friends in the faculty of medecine (students, that is) ... i could arrange meeting up with you there, say sunday morning (cuz i have no classes) and we'll all see what we can do for you...
amira

deeyala said:
hey rana.. i am a dental student in Kasr el Aini.. i know some friends in the faculty of medecine (students, that is) ... i could arrange meeting up with you there, say sunday morning (cuz i have no classes) and we'll all see what we can do for you...
amira

Hey Amira, thank you soo much for trying to help out. It's just that I'm leaving Egypt very soon and things are really hectic...plus after literally becoming a walking dictionary :rolleyes: on university options and procedures in Egypt, I've just realized that I have a choice between either a career change or adding an extra year to go back into being a 1st year med student. No other choices to explore...so I just have to choose, I don't really want to waste ur time when I'm sure there's no more info to be gathered. (I'm just guessing you haven't read all my posts) I'm so sorry I won't be able to meet you tho but it'd be great if I kept in contact with you and your friends via email or MSN messenger. I can't possibly give up a chance to get to know ppl I might be with in the same university next year! Please don't hesitate to PM me. Again, thank you so much, I appreciate it!!

Ok so here's the new piece of info for the day: Students from American universities cannot transfer into the 6th of October med school, unless they go to MUST (Misr University for Sciences and Technology..i think) first and transfer from MUST to 06 after the 2nd year of med school.

Yep, so I guess my visit to O6 completes this weird puzzle of info. It's because 06 also deals with a curriculum system and not a credit system. On the other hand, MUST deals with a credit system and that's why they directly accept students coming from the USA. BUT, after 2 yrs. of med school at MUST, the student would have taken the required curriculum for 06 and therefore can transfer. Confusing enough? Not really, it's just that MUST takes the same stuff in a different order, so they aren't equal until the 2nd year. *sigh* Kida yib2a fi3lan masibtish makan maro7toosh.

Oyi ve :eek:, I'm definitely not considering that as an option. So nothing has changed with me or my 2 choices. Just thought I'd put that piece of info out there too.

Good luck Rana. U have done a lot of research about the issue and u will definitely find a way or another to reach ur goal. As long as u r so determined, u'll make it happen some way.

Fascia Lata said:
I really love medicine, butI have a conflict deep inside me that urges me to consider a career shift.

hi! im ahmed a 3rd year med student in Ain Shams University
im new to this forum & happy to finally find some fellow egyptian med students with common interests...

so why is it that i keep hearing more & more stories these days about med students who switched careers to dentistry, business etc...
whats happening?! after enduring all the pain & committing social suicide for 6 full years!!! to pursue your assumed dream career! & once u get you get there or in mid-way you realize its the biggest mistake of your lifetime!
i personally know a med student who got very good grades. yet he switched to business after he graduated & started allover again! i know other med
A-students who adviced me to go for dentistry before applying to medicine. they said its not worth the effort as dentists get twice as paid as MDs at the half the effort!

all of this didnt matter to me tho because medicine has been my passion & i always wanted to pursue a career in a western country inshallah. but even this doesnt seem promising anymore. i have a couple of egy-american friends who came back to egypt for college and all of them went for dentistry! they said the exact same stuff about medicine double the effort for half the cash! i might seem selfish but it just doesnt feel fair!
Right now im soo frustarted with my studies eventho i love medicine. i just dont feel the urge to study anymore! :( Seriously Considering a shift to dentistry before its too late!
what do u think? any1 with similar experience? plz share
thxx in advance...& soo glad to finally find you guys! :)

DustyDog said:
im new to this forum & happy to finally find some fellow egyptian med students with common interests...

so why is it that i keep hearing more & more stories these days about med students who switched careers to dentistry, business etc...
whats happening?! after enduring all the pain & committing social suicide for 6 full years!!! to pursue your assumed dream career! & once u get you get there or in mid-way you realize its the biggest mistake of your lifetime!
i personally know a med student who got very good grades. yet he switched to business after he graduated & started allover again! i know other med
A-students who adviced me to go for dentistry before applying to medicine. they said its not worth the effort as dentists get twice as paid as MDs at the half the effort!

all of this didnt matter to me tho because medicine has been my passion & i always wanted to pursue a career in a western country inshallah. but even this doesnt seem promising anymore. i have a couple of egy-american friends who came back to egypt for college and all of them went for dentistry! they said the exact same stuff about medicine double the effort for half the cash! i might seem selfish but it just doesnt feel fair!
Right now im soo frustarted with my studies eventho i love medicine. i just dont feel the urge to study anymore! :( Seriously Considering a shift to dentistry before its too late!

*sigh* I can't tell u that I'm in same situation cause I haven't even started yet! But I just have to say that when Mohamed mentioned a career change earlier that scared me, not only will I be in his place but I'll also have to add an extra year of social suicide if I decide to go that way...but I figured it was very normal because the way the country works was what was making him depressed and unenthusiastic about it all. But now ur saying u've always wanted to work abroad and ur still considering a career change (that's what u said right or did I misunderstand?). Everybody else is gonna have to reply about the issue in itself. But that honestly really scares me.

Fascia Lata said:
On the other hand, GUC is a rip off. U can do a simple google search and u will find out that all their German faculty are upset because the university has allowed ALL their freshman students to pass to the sophomore year, no matter what their exam performance was. This is threatening their German accreditation status and the school is getting a really bad rap.

Heres the Link:
http://www.businesstodayegypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2386

I still find it too harsh. Their degree is perfect if you are planning to work in Egypt. The University has already made employment deals for its graduates with Multinationals like Siemens & Nestle. As for International accreditation, GUC is only accredited in the Baden-Wuerttemberg province of Germany which is still in question. As for the rest of Europe & States gotta go through a series of exams to get your degree accredited there. Thats what a GUC official has told me.

~Rana said:
Or maybe I should just go with the whole new medical biotechnology deal at GUC instead?

As for Biotechnology, their study program is equivilant to Pre-med plus some extras like Botany & other pharmacy subjects. The Biotech study program is an equal share between Biology & Chemistry with Intensive Lab work which you dont get in Egyptian Medical Schools
They study biotechnology in general with no special emphasis on red (medical) biotech & in your graduation year you get to prepare a project in whatever field of biotech you are interested in (Agriculture, Marine, Medical & Industrial). An equal easy alternative is preparing a masters in medical biotech right after Med school.

DustyDog said:

Hello DustyDog,

Thanks for replying. Well, I can understand what u feel at this point as I believe the third year is really difficult. The only advice I would give you is that u have to find someway to recharge your batteries for the 3rd year. After you r done with the 3rd year, u r better prepared to make an informed choice: whether or not you want to struggle for your whole life doing medicine.

Here are some points I want to make:

1- Medicine is no longer the same as it was a decade ago anywhere on the planet.
2- Don't believe that in your clinical years you will really enjoy medicine (I know all your older colleagues must be fooling themselves by telling you that the clinical years are enjoyable coz u feel u r a doctor). This is not true. Bottomline: if u don't like ur thirs year, u will never like the clinical years. As u will never feel u r a doctor in ur clinical years!!
3- The clinical years are actually a big lie. You will get to examine only what they call "chronic patients", who are a bunch of professional patients who "teach" you all the medicine u will practically learn at med school. They will "dictate" you the "sheet" you present to the doctors and will tell you what to and what not to say in ur clinical exams. In English of course !! You don't examine or manage "real" patients.
4- The active participation of students in patient management is NILL.

Conclusion: u will not only need to love medicine to go thru this, but u will have to feel u can never be anything else in your life other than being a doctor to go on. Again, it is NOT enough to love medicine or love being called a doctor to pursue this career particularly in our beloved country.

BTW, all of these academic difficulties are overcome by most students who attend med school. The real challenge is after u graduate. Would u want to participate in the medical system, or u prefer to find something else that is enjoyable, more rewarding and less stressful.

I myself get "excellent" grades, have a better chance to go abroad than many of my fellow students and have the potential to take up an academic university post at my school. I haven't made up my mind yet, and indeed considering a career change (my reasons are stated above).

IT IS NEVER TOO LATE. If u regret going into medicine, u can always find something else to do. U should be really greatful to med school for transforming you into a hard working machine that is capable of doing anything. If u observe ur inner social circle u may notice that some of the physicians u know have made a career change and are now very successful in some other career indeed. Medicine makes u a hardworker i.e. a successful person. No matter what career path u choose to follow, ur medical studies will not be a waste of time.

Good luck

DustyDog said:
Their degree is perfect if you are planning to work in Egypt. The University has already made employment deals for its graduates with Multinationals like Siemens & Nestle.

Ahmed I don't know if anyone wants to take the risk of going to a school that might not be around for too long after graduation. Their reputation is garbage. The link u provided is the best proof. Educational Institutions quality is not only measured by the faculty-student ratio, interaction between faculty and students and the extracurricular activities they try to attract empty minded students with. There are other more important factors such as the reality of research capability, the quakity of the student body, the percentage of internationally renowned faculty, the ratio of applicants to admitted students, the median scores of the admiited students on admission tests (SAT, ACT, etc...) and the level of difficulty of the exams themselves.
GUC is garbage.

Dears,
Firstly, I am a recent member and this subject is the first that I read so I have an interposition.
Medicine is staying alive by keeping in a touch with tomorrow so, every thing becomes easy for achieving this goal.so Rana has the right to be extremely anxious beside the bureauracy in Egypt increses troubles and a little despondence, you have Rana.
When I was in the third secondary school , I lost ( temporarily ) my goal to join a medical school for less than 4 marks due to waves of pschyic stress. and the only alternative way in Egypt to be a doctor is joining a private uni. Firstly I refuse this idea but I decide entering it and become in the top to be at least the lowerest one among public uni graduates.
After four years as I am now a medical student in the fourth year in Misr Uni for Science and Technology ( MUST ) I find that the subject is different completely.
I have the chance to study from textbooks , learn by credit hours, doctors deal us kindly to prove ourselves and now I am nearly finish studying for USMLE step 1.
So I think if you have a goal , nothing is better than achieving it. and I alsp defend about privte uni.
Rana, if you want to tell the courses in first year which they similar to that in USA, I will do it.

Sorry, I keep you waiting a long time but I am sorry and I hope that5 you accept me as a newly friend in your wonderful community.

M. Ali

drmohamedali said:
Dears,
Firstly, I am a recent member and this subject is the first that I read so I have an interposition.
Medicine is staying alive by keeping in a touch with tomorrow so, every thing becomes easy for achieving this goal.so Rana has the right to be extremely anxious beside the bureauracy in Egypt increses troubles and a little despondence, you have Rana.
When I was in the third secondary school , I lost ( temporarily ) my goal to join a medical school for less than 4 marks due to waves of pschyic stress. and the only alternative way in Egypt to be a doctor is joining a private uni. Firstly I refuse this idea but I decide entering it and become in the top to be at least the lowerest one among public uni graduates.
After four years as I am now a medical student in the fourth year in Misr Uni for Science and Technology ( MUST ) I find that the subject is different completely.
I have the chance to study from textbooks , learn by credit hours, doctors deal us kindly to prove ourselves and now I am nearly finish studying for USMLE step 1.
So I think if you have a goal , nothing is better than achieving it. and I alsp defend about privte uni.
Rana, if you want to tell the courses in first year which they similar to that in USA, I will do it.

Sorry, I keep you waiting a long time but I am sorry and I hope that5 you accept me as a newly friend in your wonderful community.

M. Ali

Nawart el forum ya dr. 3li

Yeah, welcome to the forum Dr. Mohamed! Thanks for the advice, I admire how determined you were about getting into med school despite the difficulties...I'm hoping I'll be just as strong. :D

Thanks a lot for your greetings Hooba and Rana and I am happy to be friends,,,,

Alsalamo 3alaykom,
Dear all colleagues,
I am really happy to find this thread, and would like to be part of it. I have graduated from Dental School-Cairo Univ. in 2000, and will join LLU International Dental Program in Sept. 06 to get my DDS here in the USA.
Rana..follow your dream. Set your goal and work on reaching it. "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
-Anatole France
Rabina ma3aki.

ambitiousdent said:
Alsalamo 3alaykom,
Dear all colleagues,
I am really happy to find this thread, and would like to be part of it. I have graduated from Dental School-Cairo Univ. in 2000, and will join LLU International Dental Program in Sept. 06 to get my DDS here in the USA.
Rana..follow your dream. Set your goal and work on reaching it. "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
-Anatole France
Rabina ma3aki.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! We're glad you're a part of the thread, welcome!

And just to let you all know, I've finally decided...*dun dun dun*...I'm just going to take the extra year and apply to Cairo or Ain Shams med next year inshAllah. I figured letting it all go wasn't better than taking an extra year. Even though it's gonna take a long time to comfortably be "ok" with that idea. A year isn't a big deal I guess, so inshAllah it'll all work out! Thanks again guys! ;)

~Rana said:
Thank you so much for the encouragement! We're glad you're a part of the thread, welcome!

And just to let you all know, I've finally decided...*dun dun dun*...I'm just going to take the extra year and apply to Cairo or Ain Shams med next year inshAllah. I figured letting it all go wasn't better than taking an extra year. Even though it's gonna take a long time to comfortably be "ok" with that idea. A year isn't a big deal I guess, so inshAllah it'll all work out! Thanks again guys! ;)

Thanks for the update Rana. I think you made the best decision and I'm sure it wasn't easy. Hope everything works out for you en shaa allah. Best regards,

salam everyone

i am a US citizen currently studying in a Eastern European Medical Program (6 years ALL in English)....i am finishing with the 2nd by June, and wanted to know if ANY school in Cairo would accept me as a transfer to the 3rd year????

does anyone know if this is possible? any relevant numbers or emails addresses i can contact of the school?

i really want to switch to Egypt because i hear the clinicals are great and Egypt is warm, plus i really want to learn arabic...please please please help anyone...i been looking for info for the past 1.5 years, and would have made the move a long time ago if given the oppurtunity...but is it possible to TRANSFER FROM A EUROPEAN MED SCHOOL???

i really want to know how it is studying in Kasr Al Ainy? is it difficult to pass? oral or written exams?

which of the two schools is better Ain Shams or Kasr Al Ainy?

again thanks to anyone that help...jaazakhalaa

HI,
I am a new member of this great forum.
This is a request.
I am a Canadian citizen with my MD from Asia..I am interested in
Post graduate medical diploma in Cardiology in english in any Asian
country like Egypt,Phillipines,Nepal etc. Please give me the informations,name ,
email,address and phone numbers of institutions ,who provide Post graduate medical
specialization diplomas in CARDIOLOGY in english within a year .
.Thank you very much.
My email is
[email protected]
Dr. Nazar H. *****
Brampton,Ontario. Canada

Hi, I'm from Cairo UNiversity. I don't really know about diplomas in specialties, but I do know that Cardiology masters degree takes 2-3 years in our uni. Its in English. Unfortunately I don't know much more than that, but this is their website, u might find more info there.

http://www.kasralainy.edu.eg/english/

MDMM said:
HI,
I am a new member of this great forum.
This is a request.
I am a Canadian citizen with my MD from Asia..I am interested in
Post graduate medical diploma in Cardiology in english in any Asian
country like Egypt,Phillipines,Nepal etc. Please give me the informations,name ,
email,address and phone numbers of institutions ,who provide Post graduate medical
specialization diplomas in CARDIOLOGY in english within a year .
.Thank you very much.
My email is
[email protected]
Dr. Nazar H. *****
Brampton,Ontario. Canada

Sorry I have no idea.

Asalamu Alaykum ,

I'm an older grad of Medicine , Ain Shams . I reassure you it's totally normal to have doubts along the way , ESPECIALLY during 3rd year !!!! It's considered "the neck of the bottle" , once you're through , you're just about home-free & can start reapping the fruits of your effort & enjoy the clinical years isA .

Clinical years are relatively laid-back & spread out , so you'll have time to do other stuff in your life , besides study !! Alhamdullilah , thru out , I managed to take many courses ( 1st Aid , Spanish , French , Computer ) , hold down a part time job (training a sport) , volunteer twice in US Hospitals during 4th yr. & 6th yr. breaks & attend a multitude of Medical Conferences . In case you're wondering , my average was "Good" thru the academic years & "Very Good" thru the clinical years !!

Don't mean to rattle on about myself , just thought I'd speak up to prove it's been done , not just a thoery !! As for yourself , I hear TWO BUZZ PHRASES : medicine has always been my passion & intend to practice in the West . I can confidently tell you that you have alot going for you isA .

Please take my advice AT YOUR OWN RISK , but transferring now is like doing the time then switching when it was just about to pay off !!!

I know it's different for guys , because others tend to evaluate them in terms of " what you make is what you're worth " !!! But don't limit your thinking in terms of how much !!! Take a wholistic approach & consider : sense of satisfaction/fulfillment , lifestyle , type of patients , range of choices in the field etc. It's obvious you'e not that materialistic , since "social suicide" is something that mattered to you . I admit that Medicine had it's toll on my friendships & that they were gradually being replaced with my buddies-in-profession , but all-in-all , we've managed to stick together .

My brother graduated from Dentistry, Ain Shams , & I can tell you , IT"S NO PICINIC EITHER , esp. getting into the US system . I think there are more things in common between Medicine & Dentistry than everyone thinks ( as regards on-going studying , occupational hazards , similar income levels) !

If I felt any discripancy at all , it was because he was a guy !!!! During college yrs. , he had alot more freedom/fun , but once graduated , the pressure was turned on him while I took it easy ! ( No hard feelings bro !! :p )

I've heard people drop-out , switch careers mid-way or even after the whole 9 yards , even personally know a few ! But , we're talking about a two-digit number among a three-digit number ( something like 10:900 ) !! For some reason , they seem to stand out more & leave an impression ! Still , if they felt they needed to , I heartily applaude them for having the guts to do it !!

For the majority of people I know , when we had to choose it was either : Teb till Death vs. Prefer death over Teb !!! Some people decided by exclusion , you don't seem to be one of them .

My dad always says , a successful Car Mechanic is better than a failure Physician !! At every bifurcation in your life , you'll always have doubts , but you must decide to the best of your knowledge . Once decided , NO MATTER WHAT YOUR DESICION WAS , you'll always look back & wonder ??!!!

SO at this point , I'd advise you to do your homework real well (like your life depended on it , which it does !! ) & get all the information you need before contemplating the switch . Best to get INSIDE information 1st hand from Dentists & those yet-to-be & those already practicing in the West. Check out the (international) dental forums here to find out some leads & acquaintances.

Whichever you choose , plan your future EARLY , don't wait till you graduate ! Study for License exams , train at clinics , make connections , etc. ALWAYS be a step ahead !! If you want to be successful at anything , you'll have to WORK HARD & STAND OUT ! I remember what I fret about while deciding about Medicine was the life-long commitment to studying , then I saw a TV series where the lady was a Lawyer & her son comes in & sees her among a pile of books & innocently asks ; Mama , inti lissa bitzakkri ?? That said alot to me !

Although I have always had my mind set on praticing in the US isA , I came across a few set backs & for personal reasons practiced in Egypt for awhile . So I know how frustrating it could be , but am thankful I had a choice & am now picking up where I left off. All the time , having a long-term goal has helped me stay on track !!!

Needless to say , after doing your part , follow the Prophet's example& take your worries to Allah via ishtikhara prayer . You never know what's best .

ONE LAST THING ; on an official website that stated average incomes of each speciality in Medicine in the US , there was fine-print at the bottom that stated that numbers were only an AVERAGE & that variation also depended on other things among them ; area of practice & personal skills & competancy of the physician !!!!! So ask yourself, what do you think you'll be good at & which will you rise up to every morning looking forward to go to work , despite the put-downs & frustrations !!

If you decide to stay in Medicine , it'll help alot if you could somehow focus on a speciality that interests you & work towards it . Though it would be unfair to expect that of you so early on , if it helps , choose by exclusion !! Then find a mentor (maybe a resident during your clinical yrs. who's stayed connected with his colleagues who went abroad) .

Oh , by the way , my brother is currently doing an MBA in Business along with his License studies , not because he's having second thoughts , but because he has some extra time & thouhgt it would do his career some good .

DustyDog said:

Masha2 Allah , the link you included , http://www.sultan.org/ , is AMAZING :thumbup:

We have been looking for something similar to help in preparing presentations to nonmuslims . I feel like I struck gold !! JAK , you just spared us innumerable hours of research !! Please share any others you know about .

Fascia Lata said:
Hi Rana,

Well, it is doable. I have a friend who transferred to Kasr Al Aini (they placed him in the 2nd year) after doing 3 years at the Jordanian University.

I have some points here:

1- You mention that u r a first year undergrad in the US " pre-med ". You cannot transfer to a medical school in Egypt unless you are a med student already at some other school.

2- I doubt you have taken the subjects they take in the first year. They do not have a preparatory premed year (e3dady). They rather start with the medical basic sciences directly. The first year curriculum consists of:
Anatomy (Upper limb, lower limb, thorax)
Physiology (Cardiovascular system, excitable tissues, blood, digestive system and respiratory system)
Histology
Medical Biochemistry
ESP (Medical English)
Computing
Even when students transfer from an Egyptian medical school to another, they have to fulfill all the chapters that have been taken at the new school. For example, at my school, Alexandria, we take the anatomy of the abdomen in the first year instead of the anatomy of the lower limb (which is taught in the second year in Alexandria). So, to be considered for transfer to Kasr Al Aini, Alexandria students must take lectures, labs and exams in the anatomy of the lower limb.

3- I am not sure of this BUT, there may be a possibility that u can apply as a first year student if ur high school grades are high enough. Again, I am not sure this is possible, as there has been some law that prohibits students with high school diplomas of previous years from gaining admission to Egyptian universities in subsequent years.

4- I am not sure of this either, but u may try transferring into dentistry or pharmacy schools, as they, unlike medicine, do have a science preparatory year (e3dady).

5- Finally, u may want to consider applying to one of the 2 private med schools. They have been both approved last year..

Good luck in whatever u choose.

Mohamed

yesmeena said:
Masha2 Allah , the link you included , http://www.sultan.org/ , is AMAZING :thumbup:

We have been looking for something similar to help in preparing presentations to nonmuslims . I feel like I struck gold !! JAK , you just spared us innumerable hours of research !! Please share any others you know about .

Al Salamo Alaikom,

Thanks so much Yesmeena for the complement. The above mentioned website is really amazing; I invite everyone to pay it a visit. I am in the process of researching da3wa methods but I have been busy with my emteyaz year. I will try to provide you with more and more websites soon insha2 Allah. One website I can think of right now is the website of Huda TV. Although the website doesn't really reflect how good the channel is, the tv channel itself is amazing. It is targeted to both: non- Arabic speaking Muslims and non-Muslims alike. The website is www.huda.tv .

Mohamed

W 3laykum Assalam ,

Believe it or not , I logged in today makhsus to delete my last post because since then the website's links haven't been working !! Talk about suffering from a "conspiracey theory" complex !! :rolleyes:

I was considering maybe we should take this elsewhere , out of sensitivity to others , but then thought , it's all about educating & relaying a message , cuz after all " IGNORANCE IS THE ENEMY " !!! It's what's causing all the phobia about Islam & Muslims & nurturing the stereotyping & misconceptions .

Tolerance , acceptance , understanding , humanity , co-existence ; things we all need to work on & spread around . No one can be offended by that , right ?! I was pleased to learn our moderator leorl , studied at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland & is showing tolerance like ALL religions encourage !

Regarding your point , there's a great website that might help you ; http://www.bridges-foundation.org/
I took level 1 of the IITP course & benefited immensely alhamdullilah . I just wrote to them inquiring if they will be giving these workshops outside of Cairo & if they'd mind if I share their material ( 3 Adobe PDF files).

I thought these links may be interesting too ;
http://video.google.com/videoplaydocid=8596690458731858361&q=30+muslims+days
http://taqwatv.blip.tv/file/18075

Hope you had a productive internship , good luck with your quest !

Fascia Lata said:
Al Salamo Alaikom,

Thanks so much Yesmeena for the complement. The above mentioned website is really amazing; I invite everyone to pay it a visit. I am in the process of researching da3wa methods but I have been busy with my emteyaz year. I will try to provide you with more and more websites soon insha2 Allah. One website I can think of right now is the website of Huda TV. Although the website doesn't really reflect how good the channel is, the tv channel itself is amazing. It is targeted to both: non- Arabic speaking Muslims and non-Muslims alike. The website is www.huda.tv .

Mohamed

DustyDog said:

Salam Dusty ... how are you ?
I will weigh in with my experience on this touchy issue and I just hope it helps ...
Ok ya seedy, first things first. I personally think that if you are in the healthcare field in general (medicine ba2a wala dentistry) solely for the money, than I guess you are missing the whole point of medicine. Don't get me wrong, there is TONS of money in the healthcare industry, specially here in the states, but having such a mind set will not get you much of it. You have to love what you do ... mosh kalam aflam walahy ... it is very true. If you love making money, than go into business ... in all honesty ... get an MBA or something.
Anyways, moving on now. I graduated Ain Shams University School of Dentistry, and I can tell you first hand that it is easier than medicine. My older sister and younger brother both went through Ain Shams medical school, so I know. The challenge with dentistry is the clinical work. There is no way to say this without sounding biased to my own career, but dentistry does involve more clinical work, specially in school. Your first and second years (after i3dady) are constantly infiltrated with hands on clinical work and exams. On your 3rd year, you are in the clinics, and you are getting work done ! You have to manage your own patients, buy your supplies, follow up with the dental lab for your cases, etc ... Fourth year and imtiyaz are no different, you just get a little bit more efficient. And believe me, if you don't like dentistry BEFORE you get into it, you will not like it anymore later on. You might just end up in an acedemic position (oral pathology or histology ... il 7agat il gameela dee). Don't forget that the highest suicide rates among professionals belongs to non other than dentists (surprise), and it's for good reasons.
You must also note that once you get into dentistry, there is no way out. It is the same specialty over and over again. On the other hand, medicine offers you plenty of options upon graduation, in pursuing your lifetime career. I'm not trying to compare medicine to dentistry, I am sure you know what you like, but I'm just saying that some of the people switching might not know what they are getting into. In my case, I knew right from start that out of all of the medical specialities, the only one I was interested in was dentistry. And now I can say that I made a safe call. I have seen very very smart people wasted in dentistry, and wanting to switch to medicine. There is also a classmate of mine who decided to switch to pharmacy after struggling for a couple of years aftre graduating dental school !
Now, just for the purpose of the discussion, let's explore the yearly earnings of both careers. I can tell you right now just off the bat that medical doctors make significantly more money here in the US. I think the starting salary for a general dentist is in the neighborhood of the $100K, while physicians can start at $140K easy. Ofcourse you will hear stories of general dentists pulling in $200k+/year, but don't judge the book by it's cover. There is more to it.
Anyways, check these links out, and let me know what you think ...
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm#earnings
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos072.htm#earnings
I should also note that MBA's start at the same annual salaries as general dentists ... with just a 2-3 year (maybe even online) degree ... bala mo3adla bala bita3 ba2a ... :laugh:
If you like medicine, go to medical school.
If you like money, get an MBA or something.
If you like bad breath and slober, get into dentistry.