Transfer to Cairo, Egypt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im in my 4th year in AinShams Med doing my ENT rotation = LUV iT

as for the attendence bluf! its only around for the first 2weeks. Some sections will check for attendence & record it down but its worthless! no marks are ever deducted even if u didnt attend a single section (u might also hear rumors abt not allowing u 2 take ur final practical exam if u miss ur section more than 3X) & If u wanna be extra-sure, just give the guy with the attendence records 10pounds & he'll fix it for u!:eek:
just make sure u attend all the tests in ur section (twice a year) eventho i missed some of these tests myself & no marks were ever deducted.

U can always attend
biochem sections, they r fun: u always get 2 play with chemicals.
anatomy sections (an awesome experience: unlimited access to the university morgue!!!) but in crowded sections u wont stand the heat+sweat+formalin cocktail for long!
physiology sections: dissecting frogs & blood tests: the only experiments worth attending (fun) are available in 2nd term of the year. almost every other experiment is on paper
histology: SLides (crowded) not enough microscopes

ATTEND ALL REVISIONS done in ALL sections b4 ur finals = VERY USEFUL

All the practical coursework is covered thoroughly in private tuitions where u get u very own frog, microscope, even an arm or a scalp!
Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

wow! :) didn't know there were a lot of other egy-americans out there educating themselves in egypt!!...sure i met a couple while in med school in cairo, then a whole bunch more in ain shams while in dent school!...maybe i know u dustydog?...

~*~*~*~*~*~
to: RANA
~*~*~*~*~*~

congrats on getting in girl :) i knew u could do it!...i'm sorry it had to be in minya & all...when i first got there they tried to pull that on me too!...only i was going to go to tanta!!....bas yala ba2a naseeb ;)...

as for adapting...well let me tell u...i've been there for 8 years now & STILL haven't adapted!...it's very difficult...u say u want to feel egyptian...sada2eenee that was my very own reason...bas not one day goes by where u don't hear "inti malik bitit kalimee kida?" "inti mish shaklik masri!"...if it isn't one thing, it's another!...so no, u won't get to feel very egyptian...u'll instead feel like an alien!...looking at that now, it sounds terrible!...bas even so u shouldn't let that get to u bcuz u just have to learn to accept that u will never quite fully fit in...BUT, & this is a big but (no pun intended...hehehe ;))...u still have quite a lot of fun trying & most ppl (not all) luv to help u out ;)

anywayz keep ur head up & show 'em what u got ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
to: those of u interested in blogs about school in or life in general in egypt
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

maybe u should take a look at my very own experience at ain shams wi "el routine!"

http://dalia77.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_dalia77_archive.html
http://dalia77.blogspot.com/2006/05/el-routine.html

anywayz all u egy-americans out there in egy-land take care & u know if u have any questions on school in egypt u know where u can reach me ;)

salamz

wow! another ex-tantawy here!

LUUUUVVVVVVVVVVVV ur blogs!!! keep on posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
salamo 3alaikom ya gama3a,

ma shaa allah. i'm glad to see everyone is making progress. it's been a while since I've visited SDN. it wasn't that long ago that Rana was asking questions about how to apply to med schools in egypt and now ma shaa allah she's telling us about her experience and giving advice to others.

good luck to everyone checking the forum. i hope we can continue to help out each other with any advice we have.

fe re3ayet allah ya gama3a,

Dear , aslam alikm
thisis to Rana,
Hello! i am an egyptian living now in canada i am not a citizeb but a PR.however i have my highschool with UK ciirculim ! i am now in first year ! i want to go to cairo med! will they accpet me in tanseek office after one year from my highschool..what did u do ! please help me ! AND IS IT WORTH TO LUIVE AWAY FROM FAMILY AND TO LOOSE ALSO THE CITIZENSHIP AND...etc....thanks alot
My name is mOhammed ....
love egypt love the strrets the histor y t the poor..... the muslims0....the egyptians tha arbs.....

Hey Mohammed... I'm an Egyptian/Canadian citizen but I graduated from Ain Shams Uni, Cairo Egypt. To answer you question: By all means NO NO its NOT worth it.

Unless you want to witness the Professors' children, relatives and ppl they know, ppl they owe a favour to, get fullmarks in all the exams, and be ranked higher than you, while your essays get screwed up intentionally for them to get the university posts.

Unless you want to learn medicine at private lessons outside the university.

Unless you want to spend 7 years of solving Essay exams when everyone else has switched to MCQs.

On the plus hand, if you want to learn, you will. If you want patient exposure, you'll get plenty of that. But from what I've seen, in the US, (dunno about Canada), the system of medical education and hands-on experience is MUCH MUCH more superior. Here it all about: 1) How hard you memorize the books. 2) How good you are at writing essays.

And both have v.little to do with medicine.

Also consider this, UNLESS you plan on going BACK to the US/Canada after studying medicine in Egypt. I'm giving you a firm NO on ur "is it worth it" question.

One last thing, the moment u start studying in Egypt... you're labelled an "IMG"... so ur screwed if u stay in, and ur screwed if you decide to travel back to Canada/US.

My advice, study medicine in Canada, and during the summer vacations, come here and do whatever you want... :) This way u get the best from both countries.

Regarding Mohammed's post and KnightMD's reply:

I've already responded to Mohammed's PM, cause I need him to clear up a few questions I had before I answer anything.
As for Knight's reply...I don't really know what to say anymore...I think you should read our posts from before...same topic was discussed. I just think we need to look at the overall picture, it's not like I like the freakin ignorance that's all over the place here haunting my every move either......but dude doesn't anyone else see the other issues?

My Updates and Questions:

First of all, I've missed posting on here it's been while...how is everybody doing? Hope ur all fine inshAllah. :) I was wondering if private lessons were an absolute must from your experience? I took some last semester and honestly I felt like it was a waste of my time...cause like it didn't add to the info I already got from lectures and sections and I come home real late and never get enough time to study on my own. I just feel like I can do fine without them. People are pressuring me into taking them saying that it's "an absolute must" and that "that's just the way that the Egyptian system works". But it's so new to me you know? I'm wondering if they need it so much only because they need that kinda personal attention since their english skills aren't so good....u know for like translation etc? But I don't need that because I'm the complete opposite of them, I cringe when a prof explains things in arabic. So can someone explain the logic of it all to me?

And does anyone know a really really good bookstore in Egypt for medical textbooks? I've gone to the Ein Shams ones several times but I just wish there was this like huge bookstore where I can stand around and actually read the books for as long as I want before I buy them. It's good that they have the "imported" stuff and all...but is there any place other than Ein Shams? Man do I wish Barnes and Nobles or Borders would open here...

Thanks guys, I'll post again as soon as I can inshAllah!

Well if the profs are actualy explaining in the lectures, and the essay exams need no "Secret code" provided thru private lessons, then sure. It depends on the quality of education you recieve while in the lectures.

Books... well the only place that fits ur description (a big bookstore where u can sit and read a book b4 getting it) is the AUC library... which I doubt I'll find anything related to medicine, and the Alexandria Libarary...

I guess some bookstores near Al-Saqia at el-Zamalek would fit ur description as well.

Thank you so much!

Well if the profs are actualy explaining in the lectures, and the essay exams need no "Secret code" provided thru private lessons, then sure. It depends on the quality of education you recieve while in the lectures.

Books... well the only place that fits ur description (a big bookstore where u can sit and read a book b4 getting it) is the AUC library... which I doubt I'll find anything related to medicine, and the Alexandria Libarary...

I guess some bookstores near Al-Saqia at el-Zamalek would fit ur description as well.

waiting for more help from all of u? and more advices...

Dear , aslam alikm
thisis to Rana,
Hello! i am an egyptian living now in canada i am not a citizeb but a PR.however i have my highschool with UK ciirculim ! i am now in first year ! i want to go to cairo med! will they accpet me in tanseek office after one year from my highschool..what did u do ! please help me ! AND IS IT WORTH TO LUIVE AWAY FROM FAMILY AND TO LOOSE ALSO THE CITIZENSHIP AND...etc....thanks alot
My name is mOhammed ....
love egypt love the strrets the histor y t the poor..... the muslims0....the egyptians tha arbs.....

Tanseeq will accept you a yr after completion of highschool, why not? u just have to ask when to apply and stuff because i don't remember when. And yeah its a good idea if u want to go back to egypt. After that u can go to the UK and get a degree from there, like the MRCP/MRCS, and since u had a UK curriculum that should be easy for you.
Getting into a Canadian residency is almost impossible as a foreign grad, so that's something you should think about, where do you want to do residency?
Getting into an american residency is a lot of work- u would have to study for usmle's, etc, and its a little harder than if u were a graduate of canada or the US, but if u have good scores u'll make it.
I don't think its such a big fuss to go to Egypt for med. Depending on how much effort you put in, u can learn a lot. Its just a question of priorities. I mean, u should decide, is it more important to live in Egypt? Or is it more important to you to go to an american/canadian medical school and residency? Or is it more important for you to stay near your family?
Only you can decide. For me it was more important to stay in Egypt near my family, and i have no regrets. After medical school i came back to the US for residency. Also no regrets (so far).
Its up to you, bro.

I pray allah they will accept me after one year!
thanks for u r reply but if u know where is the new tanseeq office so i can send someone there to ask ! i would be reallly thankful!!!
mohammed

dear dr hmza,
can u please try to figure out for me will they accept me after i lefte egypt by one year ...my higschool is one year old?
thanks

Salaams,
This is a great forum! I am an American Egyptian who is planning on applying to Private Egyptian Med. Schools. (M.U.S.T and Oct. 6) I am currently a second year in American university, but i plan on applying as a high school graduate.

Are there any recommendations or advice?

You can go to Al Ahram bookstore that's nearby downtown (they have many books there). Also you can buy them online on amazon (you'll just pay shipping and some customs when you buy it off their UK site). Also you can read the books at two of the places in ain shams, just don't be bashful. Also don't listen to people who visit the US once or twice in their lives and act like they're the experts on everything bad about Ain Shams. One person who seems to post here apparently doesn't even seem to know where to get other texts from, but can so easily complain about everything that's wrong with Ain Shams. There isn't anything near Al saqia that has medical text books, nor are there good outlets for that in Zamalek.

Duroos are good for you, even if you don't go to them...They're cheap (even if you're taking the dars alone) and should you need to ask any questions in the language you're comfortable with...you'll be at ease doing so. Its the equivalent of being in a PBL session. There is no magic in a dars.

Good luck, and please PM me if you have any questions :)

Hey!!! I already have a bachelor degree in pre-med/medical biology from United States and I would like to enroll in University of Cairo. Can anyone let me know what are my chances and what process should I follow? I think I would be placed on the 3rd year according to the overlap of classes. Deeply appreciated.

Hey!!! I already have a bachelor degree in pre-med/medical biology from United States and I would like to enroll in University of Cairo. Can anyone let me know what are my chances and what process should I follow? I think I would be placed on the 3rd year according to the overlap of classes. Deeply appreciated.

@Mary44 It has been long time since college, I dont remember all these steps sorry. If you have good grades, why not Unites States medical school? High price?

Good luck and stay safe!