Transfer to UCLA-Caltech MSTP from UCLA MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplerainbow

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm admitted to the UCLA MSTP, can I somehow switch to doing my PhD at Caltech? I know they only give 2 spots per class, but I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer during M1/M2. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It might or might not depending on how compelling your reasons for wanting to do so are (e.g. do you have a dissertation and/or grant proposal(s) as well as a relationship with a PI, there). I'm interested in the biotech leadership program linked on their MD/PhD website http://m.bbe.caltech.edu/content/mdphd-programs, and will try to convince them to let me be a visiting scholar by more or less developing collaborative research and grant proposals via a caltech PI and other academic and industrial groups, which is similar to what I advised doing ;) I want to do so since they're building a new $300+ million brain center, and I've corresponded with a researcher there doing work in an area I'm interested in. That and I've wanted to go to caltech since seeing Real Genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Be careful of the Caltech program. It's poorly integrated with UCLA. I almost went there and was frightened away by what was then a student telling me that Caltech cut him no slack and he will end up spending 10 years in the program. The said student is no longer in science despite being highly productive in his PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful of the Caltech program. It's poorly integrated with UCLA. I almost went there and was frightened away by what was then a student telling me that Caltech cut him no slack and he will end up spending 10 years in the program. The said student is no longer in science despite being highly productive in his PhD.
Good to know. Did you go to the UCLA MSTP for all 8 years instead?