Transfer vs. AP credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am struggling what to do with regards to the math requirement for medical school. I received a 5 on the calculus BC exam, and a 5 on the AB subscore. This lets me get out of calculus 1 and calculus 2. For medical school prerequisites, I still plan to take a semester of statistics. However, instead of flat out AP credit, my school lists AP credit as a "T" on the transcript, or transfer credit. My question is three-fold...

1) will medical schools recognize a "t" as just a fancy way of awarding an ap credit and look down upon it as a result and

2) Will it impact my admissions chances negatively in anyway if I take said transfer credit for calculus 1 and 2 as opposed to taking the courses? I am not using ap credit for any other prerequisites other than calculus.
3) for medical say that they do NOT accept AP credit, will they accept transfer credit (this part is kind of similar to the first one) thanks for helping everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Medical schools will just recognize the AP credit as AP credit, regardless of how it's written on the transcripts.
2) most likely it won't affect admissions chances for most if not all schools.
3) No, they will recognize the AP as AP and not transfer credit.

Honestly, one AP course substitution should have little to no effect on your application as a whole.

I don't know of any med schools that require calc and do not allow AP credit to satisfy their req. I used AP credits for calc myself and it was not an issue. You should take a stats class if you didn't take AP stats - other than that, you're free to use those couple of class slots for some interesting elective that catches your eye!

Reactions: 2 users