transfering grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious dummy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! thanks anyone who answered my questions on dec. 31. your inputs really helped me consider a career in medicine. now i need more from real people. now i'm wondering what do med schools mean when they say overall and science gpa? say if i transfer to a 4 year school, is the science gpa the gpa of all the sciences taken at that school or the gpa of the sciences required by med school or gpa of all sciences taken? what about for gpa? and i know i can major in anything for my b.s. or b.a. but honestly, do med schools really don't care about the major? what if i choose to major in electrical engineering? it's no where close to medicine. how could i prove i'll do well in medicine then?

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA factors in every class you've taken at your school (humanities and science). Science GPA is factored using classes in biology, chemistry, physics and usually mathematics.

Once again, med schools don't care what major you choose. Electrical engineering is totally fine to major in. If anything, a successful GPA while doing EE shows adcoms that you can handle rather difficult work (EE is notoriously difficult at many schools). You prove yourself able to do well in med school by your GPA, MCAT (this is debatable), extracurriculars, etc... Also, your performance in premed classes reflects this if your major isn't in a science.