Transferring after D1--Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

louisvilleslugg

D1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

I am a D1 @ NYU. I am doing fine for grades and the school is fine, but it's just too large and too expensive. I applied for my state school last year, but didn't get in there, but now I am wondering if it's possible to transfer after D1.

I assume it's only possible if the school has an open slot from someone failing/leaving during D1?

If possible, what is the process?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

if you have to contact the other school most likely and ask to talk to the dean about transfering.. they will see if the curriculum match up and go from there..

its possible but near impossible.

The excuse you are using will surely not be good enough. Transfering is really for only special cases and if the programs are similar

Members don't see this ad :)
It will not be easy. More than likely, it will cost you a year as it did me no matter how good you grades are. The curriculum at various dental schools don't necessarily correlate, so there is some gain and loss.

If you truely want to transfer, you will have to put as much into it as you did getting admitted the first time, more even.

As a word of encouragement, you are not the first person to think this way. I know some dental students who would transfer if given the chance, but stay on and just plow through to graduation where they are now.

What are examples of exceptional circumstances? The only ones I head of where;

- Your spouse is attending the medical/dental school you would like to transfer to.
- A family member is sick or terminally ill, in the vicinity of the school you would like to transfer to.

Any other reasons?

some people posting last year mentioned one of the top students at UCLA transferring to Arizona. Maybe one of the mods remembers this. I don't know what his circumstances are though.

We have 2 spots opened in my class (2010). I am not sure how they fill them but i think some school like to fill them with foreign transfers

What are examples of exceptional circumstances? The only ones I head of where;

- Your spouse is attending the medical/dental school you would like to transfer to.
- A family member is sick or terminally ill, in the vicinity of the school you would like to transfer to.

Any other reasons?

I'll corroborate this one! I personally know someone who was able to transfer because of where wife was attending. But having the right contacts is the key. Go to the school and talk to the academic Dean! and have a better reason. Price alone is not a valid one, since It begs the questions: what where you thinking when you applied?

Good luck

i agree. it's not worth it, despite cost. you'll make it back. the year you lose when you transfer you can do wokring as a dentist. 100K plus. additionally, you'll prob have to repeat the firs tyear. that's fine now .. but believe me... if you ask most D3s or D4s they can't wait to get the f out and start working. why delay it?

if you thinking post grad.. maybe... but remember programs like ppl who've worked a bit and it's easier to get into some programs if you have too.

bottome line... you can always make money, but time... you'll never get that back

It will not be easy. More than likely, it will cost you a year as it did me no matter how good you grades are. The curriculum at various dental schools don't necessarily correlate, so there is some gain and loss.

If you truely want to transfer, you will have to put as much into it as you did getting admitted the first time, more even.

As a word of encouragement, you are not the first person to think this way. I know some dental students who would transfer if given the chance, but stay on and just plow through to graduation where they are now.

I had a friend who is attemping to transfer at this present moment for the Fall of 2007, and believe me when I say he is end over head. The Dean is asking him to retake the DAT and do some other crazy things that I just don't think it is worth it. Remember that your investment now will pay off down the road. Keep your head-up and always remind your self that "things will not be like this always"

I had a friend who is attemping to transfer at this present moment for the Fall of 2007, and believe me when I say he is end over head. The Dean is asking him to retake the DAT and do some other crazy things that I just don't think it is worth it. Remember that your investment now will pay off down the road. Keep your head-up and always remind your self that "things will not be like this always"

were your friend's original DAT's low?

Depending on the school you are transferring to, you may have to take the DAT again. If you attended a school where the avg dat was an 18, and the school you were wanting to transfer to had an avg of 19 or 20, then you would have to take the dat again.

An 18, isn't necessarily enough to make you jump off a bridge, but it is not always going to be competitive at every school. The same could be said for gpa.

The one thing I find interesting about this thread is the number of hits. Either people are curious as to what will be said about transferring, or there are a lot of dental students wishing they were somewhere else. :p

Why do you think your friend is in over his head?

The one thing I find interesting about this thread is the number of hits. Either people are curious as to what will be said about transferring, or there are a lot of dental students wishing they were somewhere else. :p

The grass is always greener on the other side.:laugh:
I think most of us have things that drive us up the wall about our school. But some more than others.