Transferring as a Junior State School->LAC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transfer?

• Stay

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Go

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it doesn't really help, but this is something only you can really decide. You're doing well academically at your state school, so this is more of an issue of your happiness. Is an increase in happiness worth the $$$ to transfer? Or do you ride it out for the last two years at your current school and graduate without debt? Only you can decide because it's your money, and your loans to pay off in the long run. Something to also consider is how many credits will transfer over if you do transfer. Will you have to postpone graduating to fulfill requirements at the new college? That's expensive in both $$$ and time.

Personally, if it were me I'd stay. If you made it to junior year while doing well then I think you'll be able to ride it out.

Reactions: 1 user
2 years of credits will transfer and I can graduate in 2 years. I know it's up to me, but I am so bad at decisions. Senior year of high school I freaked out and chose the state school, and I do regret it. But the money I save is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much debt? My LAC experience was incredible, but I was fortunate to attend debt free.

Reactions: 1 user
Small LACs are frequently awesome and Pitzer definitely is! Your reasons for wanting to go make perfect sense to me, and the value of being able to get LORs from professors who truly know you (they will) should not be underestimated. If the debt will not be crushing, I'd vote: GO!

I'd suggest you ask for the LORs you can get from the UC before you go --

Reactions: 1 users
If you can manage grades at one of the most cut-throat schools, then I say go and don't look back!

My dumb self checked "no" on financial aid because I thought it might affect my chances. But the more I think about it, the more I really think I should do this. If I get into my state med school (which is actually rather competitive), I would go in a heartbeat. However, you only undergrad once and I don't want to be sad all the time.

Call them up and confess the truth regarding financial aid -- Or sleuth around on their website first and then call. They're not going to turn around and say "Never mind - We don't accept students who need financial aid." They might be need-blind admissions - or perhaps not. The worst they could say is "Sorry - We can't give you any aid" which is exactly where you are now, right? (Though they might give you a job)

Be happy.

I was in a VERY similar boat as you but instead of transferring, I did a semester abroad. I feel completely recharged and ready to suck up the rest of undergrad. Now I just have one year left and I plan on keeping my head down, focusing on school, research, and the few close friends I have. If going abroad isn't an option, I would transfer. But of course it's all up to you.

I didn't go to a small LAC straight out of high school because my in-state tuition is almost free, but if I could go back I would go to the LAC. Spending the money might've been worth it in the long run.
why do you say that? My tuition is free and my only worries are housing. I guess my biggest concern is if it is worth it and what you said really made me think. The way I feel, I don't see myself wanting to walk at graduation bc of how disconnected I am from the school. But in 10 years will 4 sad years at my undergrad really matter? Have you already taken your MCAT/started to apply?

I know it doesn't really help, but this is something only you can really decide. You're doing well academically at your state school, so this is more of an issue of your happiness. Is an increase in happiness worth the $$$ to transfer? Or do you ride it out for the last two years at your current school and graduate without debt? Only you can decide because it's your money, and your loans to pay off in the long run. Something to also consider is how many credits will transfer over if you do transfer. Will you have to postpone graduating to fulfill requirements at the new college? That's expensive in both $$$ and time.

Personally, if it were me I'd stay. If you made it to junior year while doing well then I think you'll be able to ride it out.
2 years of credits will transfer and I can graduate in 2 years. I know it's up to me, but I am so bad at decisions. Senior year of high school I freaked out and chose the state school, and I do regret it. But the money I save is nice.

I had a rough time in college up until I went abroad (many times I thought I was depressed). Of course there were intrinsic factors, as I'm sure there are with you. But a lot of it had to do with the unfriendly community at my school. My schools is huge, Greek life dominates (and segregates). That's honestly one of the worst parts. Volunteering opportunities, especially clinical, are extremely limited and cutthroat from the insane amount of premeds. I should've trusted myself from the get go when I knew I didn't care for sports because that's what my school lives and breaths. There is great value of being in an uplifting, friendly environment. I wish had individual attention from professors and real, intellectual conversations in class. This may have been something I would've had at a LAC. For me, spending LAC tuition would have been worth it to not go into depressive episodes every fall semester. I never transferred because of logistical reasons, and I've just accepted that college isn't "my time," and that maybe med school/residency/some time in the future will be. I think because you have two years to go, it would be worth it to transfer. It's half of your undergrad! But be sure it's the right fit for you.

I'm currently studying for the MCAT and plan to apply next cycle.

Edit: I don't know anything about the Pitzer College, so take my words with a grain of salt.
I paid the enrollment deposit but I still don't know. I feel EXACTLY the way you do. I see a therapist during the school year and very strongly considered medication. During football games, I avoid the stadium like it's a plague, yet, my social media feeds are full of everyone decked out in school gear. I even bought the season pass because it was what I was supposed to do. And I am a very social person but I feel so isolated when I am the only person I know in the library. I resent Greek life but now think I should have rushed. I still think that 120k debt in undergrad is insane though, but I decided to pay the deposit and back out if necessary. I bet college isn't my time either

It's certainly a gamble IMO but ultimately it's up to you. Just make sure you do your research/talk to people at Pitzer! Good luck :)
where do you go, if you don't mind me asking? and did you take an entire semester abroad (if so i'm super jealous)

I was in a similar boat and chose not to transfer because (a) I was happy academically (but not socially) and had built up relationships with professors and (b) I didn't want to have to retake stupid distribution requirements since they are different at every school. In the end, college is what you make of it. You have to realize that most students are unhappy at some point because we are all young adults with weird brain chemical things happening, hormones, figuring out who we are and where we want to go, etc. Maybe try some new clubs, start in a new lab, even getting an internship outside the school environment (I work at a non-profit a couple hours a week away from campus) can help. I really think if you are serious about pre-med and you are doing well academically you shouldn't change things right now.

Is Pitzer really cutthroat?

I thought you said PRITZKER not PITZER. Which really confused me so I thought you meant U of Chicago. Nevermind then and disregard me!

I was in a similar boat and chose not to transfer because (a) I was happy academically (but not socially) and had built up relationships with professors and (b) I didn't want to have to retake stupid distribution requirements since they are different at every school. In the end, college is what you make of it. You have to realize that most students are unhappy at some point because we are all young adults with weird brain chemical things happening, hormones, figuring out who we are and where we want to go, etc. Maybe try some new clubs, start in a new lab, even getting an internship outside the school environment (I work at a non-profit a couple hours a week away from campus) can help. I really think if you are serious about pre-med and you are doing well academically you shouldn't change things right now.
Thank you, I think I am going to stay.. Sigh. I really am serious about getting to med school now