transferring courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm curious whether anyone has tried to transfer graduate courses into their DVM programs? Are there any schools allow you to do this? Not to reduce tuition or anything:D, but rather to provide the opportunity to take other courses in place of the required courses. For the most part it seems like vet-med grad courses are pretty specific and so it would be unlikely; however, on the prevet boards there is talk of other, more generic courses like biochemistry and such in the curriculum, and it's really those that I'm asking about.

I know the best thing to do is to just ask the school directly, and I intend to do that, but wanted to get a general feel for what to expect first:). Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Penn accepts a few courses on a case-by-case basis. Someone got to skip Biochemistry because she had a PhD in it. Immunology is another one that you are sometimes allowed to skip, but it's very rare. As I understand, it's extremely hard to get transfer credits at Penn.

Biochem you cant get out of unless you have a PhD or something, pass an oral exam and all kids of crazy stuff.

But people can get out of Histology, Developmental Biology, Immunology, and Nutrition *relatively* easily if they have taken comparable courses in the past. You need to have syllabi, class notes, transcripts, etc to get out of them though, so save that stuff!

You don't get credit for it, you just dont have to take them, and based on student schedules and such, you dont have an opportunity to take another class in its place, but its one less course you have to worry about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Deanna, you sure? i haven't opted out of anything, but i was told that you DO get credit for it, you just don't get a grade for it, so it can't help your GPA. otherwise, kids that were ahead would end up behind, because they'd have to make up those lost credits, no?

Biochem you cant get out of unless you have a PhD or something, pass an oral exam and all kids of crazy stuff.

But people can get out of Histology, Developmental Biology, Immunology, and Nutrition *relatively* easily if they have taken comparable courses in the past. You need to have syllabi, class notes, transcripts, etc to get out of them though, so save that stuff!

You don't get credit for it, you just dont have to take them, and based on student schedules and such, you dont have an opportunity to take another class in its place, but its one less course you have to worry about!

Do you happen to know how I might see about doing this? I took developmental biology this past semester and I believe I'll get an A (grades aren't up yet but I rocked the first two of three exams :)). I have my notes from the class and the syllabus. It's a 300 level class at my school (the highest level offered in biology for undergrads). It also had an accompanying (separate) lab which I also took. Should I call admissions or something? Thanks!

Nope, they tell you at the beginning of the course and you go through the course organizer once youre here.

That's interesting. I don't believe (nearly positive) they don't allow this at OSU. The goal of many first year classes is to get everyone on the same page as a lot of the information will be built upon later. Plus, if you've already had the class it will probably be an easy A and a nice GPA boost.

They don't allow it at OKstate, though people have tried. There was someone in my class that tried hard to get out of immunology because she did a bunch of research in the area. It ended up that the professor just picked on her a lot and tried to show her how much she didn't know. There is also someone who had a law degree that still had to take jurisprudence and ethics. I've never heard of anyone not having to take a class.