Transferring dental residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skate4Ever09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not happy with my residency and not what I was expecting, what I thought were basic program protocols do not exist here. Anyone know if transferring is possible or has it been done before?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you can mention where this program is?
I wanna apply for prostho as well.

What kind of residency?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of residency?
Prosth, when interviewing I did not get that kind of impression of the program. Then again maybe I shouldve asked them more questions then but you don’t know what you don’t know and I just didn’t. .If transferring was possible without burning any major bridges like just re-applying now to begin next year and starting first year over again I would do it. Unless that is possible and ppl have done that? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side but seeing how unhappy the 2nd and 3rd years are it’s depressing. Feel like I should just suck it up and be fortunate I have a place but it’s just frustrating paying a lot of $$$ to be here and 3 years is a long time

Prosth, when interviewing I did not get that kind of impression of the program. Then again maybe I shouldve asked them more questions then but you don’t know what you don’t know and I just didn’t. .If transferring was possible without burning any major bridges like just re-applying now to begin next year and starting first year over again I would do it. Unless that is possible and ppl have done that? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side but seeing how unhappy the 2nd and 3rd years are it’s depressing. Feel like I should just suck it up and be fortunate I have a place but it’s just frustrating paying a lot of $$$ to be here and 3 years is a long time
Sorry, my knowledge of Prosth programs is minimal!!!
So I cannot help you with your specific problem.
But I will repeat, what a wise man once told me about these kind of things...
"You get out of a program what you put into a program."

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that!
Would you mind giving more details about what made you so unhappy with the program? I am applying for prostho too, so curious

Sorry to hear that!
Would you mind giving more details about what made you so unhappy with the program? I am applying for prostho too, so curious
Bc youre applying I would recommend asking the residents if they are happy with the program, how many patients are they seeing, how are the faculty? Are they approachable and wanting to teach? Do they respect the residents, have there been any issues like harassment, unprofessional behavior? Also, what are the requirements for removable, fixed restorations? Do the residents feel it’s attainable based on the patients they are getting? Some qs I wish I asked before. Also wouldn’t expect them to tell you the entire truth either though

First year prosth resident here as well. For all programs I applied to, I went to visit them in-person prior to interviews. Some programs, the residents were barely seeing patients which was a red flag for me. I also wanted to see how the residents interacted with each other and how supportive what the general environment was. I am extremely happy in my program right now so I would definitely suggest for any new applicants to really carefully select your programs of choice because it will be a tough 3 years.

Reactions: 2 users
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst, if someone resigns from a program and re-applies later (even to a different specialty lets say) what are their chances of getting accepted or how do programs look at a candidate like that? Has this been done before?

I was under the impression you cannot apply to another PASS program if you drop out after a contract is signed

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst, if someone resigns from a program and re-applies later (even to a different specialty lets say) what are their chances of getting accepted or how do programs look at a candidate like that? Has this been done before?
Has it been done before? Probably. Is it a huge red flag to other programs? Absolutely.

Big Hoss

To answer your question:
If you have a good reason then yes you can still reapply and get into a different program. This also depends on many factors and how desirable and strong of an applicant you are.

Years ago when I was interviewing for omfs residency I met a guy who was also on the trail.
He was previously in a dual degree program and quit. His reason was that he was in a messy divorce. He worked in a prison afterwards doing mainly oral surgery. He eventually reapplied to omfs.
He matched and got into one of the best, comprehensive single degree programs in the country.
Things you need to know : he was a very good applicant with good stats and had an amazing good personality.

So yes it’s possible to get in after you quit a program.

Prosth itself is not a competitive specialty to get into and if you are somewhat of a decent applicant I don’t see why you couldn’t easily get in again.

To answer your question:
If you have a good reason then yes you can still reapply and get into a different program. This also depends on many factors and how desirable and strong of an applicant you are.

Years ago when I was interviewing for omfs residency I met a guy who was also on the trail.
He was previously in a dual degree program and quit. His reason was that he was in a messy divorce. He worked in a prison afterwards doing mainly oral surgery. He eventually reapplied to omfs.
He matched and got into one of the best, comprehensive single degree programs in the country.
Things you need to know : he was a very good applicant with good stats and had an amazing good personality.

Prosth itself is not a competitive specialty to get into and if you are somewhat of a decent applicant I don’t see why you couldn’t easily get in again.
I know the guy you’re talking about, small world

The position you're in:
1: continue 2 more years of a program you're unhappy in
2: do 3 years of a program you may or may not be happier in

To me it's not worth it. Starting all over again, more tuition, and being in a really tough spot if you don't like the new program

I hated my residency. About 6 months in was the lowest point I had. You realize how much time is left, you've barely made progress, you haven't learned anything substantial yet.

But each year gets a bit better, you move up in the ranks, you get more comfortable, yoshave to put up with less sh1t you did in first year

My big advice for people is residency isn't a "worth it no matter what" situation. If I had my time over I would have only applied to places I wanted to live for 3 years, and just kept applying there until I got in, no matter how much time it took. Still working as a dentist for another year and reapplying is not a bad result

Reactions: 2 users
The position you're in:
1: continue 2 more years of a program you're unhappy in
2: do 3 years of a program you may or may not be happier in

To me it's not worth it. Starting all over again, more tuition, and being in a really tough spot if you don't like the new program

I hated my residency. About 6 months in was the lowest point I had. You realize how much time is left, you've barely made progress, you haven't learned anything substantial yet.

But each year gets a bit better, you move up in the ranks, you get more comfortable, yoshave to put up with less sh1t you did in first year

My big advice for people is residency isn't a "worth it no matter what" situation. If I had my time over I would have only applied to places I wanted to live for 3 years, and just kept applying there until I got in, no matter how much time it took. Still working as a dentist for another year and reapplying is not a bad result
It's hard esp when you're a new grad to keep reapplying till you get in.

I agree its not worth it in almost any circumstance to re-apply. quitting and moving to being a GP would be an option always if the specialty is not what you actually want to practice.

If you do want to be in the specialty stick it out, no matter how horrible. I know how it is, I have 10 months left in my own program. countdown

To answer your question:

I would generally agree that Prosth isn't as competitive as some other specialties, but Prosth is by far the smallest out of all the major specialties. That means networking and connections hold a lot more weight and generally people know each other way more often than not within Prosth. I would def caution comparing it to an OMFS residency and expecting a similar result if OP were to quit (even if the reason for quitting is legitimate). I know of programs that have blacklisted entire schools just due to a poor experience with a resident so my suggestion would probably be to stick it out if possible.

Reactions: 1 users